Wikiposts

I wish.....

Old Mar 11th 2004, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default I wish.....

In some ways, I wish I'd moved over here 30 years ago (when I was mid-twenties)
I did have a great time in the UK (and globe-trotting) and was successful in business.
At my age now it's a bit harder to get established in a new country, but it's OK, and I'm very happy.
To you "younger ones" I'd just say, you have a golden opportunity over here, in many aspects.
Go for it and I'm sure many of you will gain your rewards, financially,emotionally and in quality of life.
It is a hard country but it does have a lot of opportunities for you "spring chickens"
Old Mar 11th 2004, 4:00 am

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Ahhhhhh, you're having fun aren't you Roger?

I remember when you was back home waiting to start your new life, it makes me happy to see the end to your story turn out so well.

God love ya!

My wish is..... that Todd would stop saying Poppy Cock!
Old Mar 11th 2004, 4:16 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Re: I wish.....

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
I did have a great time in the UK (and globe-trotting) and was successful in business.
At my age now it's a bit harder to get established in a new country, but it's OK, and I'm very happy.
To you "younger ones" I'd just say, you have a golden opportunity over here, in many aspects.
Go for it and I'm sure many of you will gain your rewards, financially,emotionally and in quality of life.
It is a hard country but it does have a lot of opportunities for you "spring chickens"
Getting started in a new country is hard. Personally i have had no luck with finding work so my energy went into getting into school. My plan was if i re-train at a school people know then enter the market as a new graduate it would be easier to get a start.

Actually the plan worked too well and now i have a major dilemma. I got a place at Boston College Law School but yesterday i got an email from the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard offering me a place on their 2 year Masters in Public Policy course. Bloody hell!

I dont know which to take now. On the one hand law is a clear career path and i was a lawyer previously and liked it, on the other hand its Harvard!!! Paaark the caaar in Haaarvaard yaaard!LOL. Really though how can you go wrong with a masters degree from Harvard? Annoyingly whilst i applied for the Law School at Harvard planning to take the joint MPP/JD degree i didnt get in. Even if i go back to Blighty long term then a Harvard degree has major kudos in England as well as everyone in the world knows Harvard. Boston College while a good school is not really known in the same way.

On the other hand i have actually been thinking about returning to the UK as well as things havent been so good here.

What would you guys do in my position? Its a tough call. On the money front either way its horribly expensive KSG $28,000 per annum tuition, BC law school $31,000. I have yet to hear from the scholarships and grants i applied for with these courses so that could make the decision if i get a good financial offer.

Lots of musing to do i think over the next month i have until 24th april to make my choice.

regards,

Duncan
Old Mar 11th 2004, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Ahhhhhh, you're having fun aren't you Roger?

I remember when you was back home waiting to start your new life, it makes me happy to see the end to your story turn out so well.

God love ya!

-----------------------------------------------------------

You'll remember they were hard times, the waiting etc
I sympathize with anyone going through it now.

"the end of my story" not yet :0)
there's life in the old dog.
I still have lots of opportunities..........watch this space.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Duncs
Getting started in a new country is hard. Personally i have had no luck with finding work so my energy went into getting into school. My plan was if i re-train at a school people know then enter the market as a new graduate it would be easier to get a start.

Actually the plan worked too well and now i have a major dilemma. I got a place at Boston College Law School but yesterday i got an email from the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard offering me a place on their 2 year Masters in Public Policy course. Bloody hell!

I dont know which to take now. On the one hand law is a clear career path and i was a lawyer previously and liked it, on the other hand its Harvard!!! Paaark the caaar in Haaarvaard yaaard!LOL. Really though how can you go wrong with a masters degree from Harvard? Annoyingly whilst i applied for the Law School at Harvard planning to take the joint MPP/JD degree i didnt get in. Even if i go back to Blighty long term then a Harvard degree has major kudos in England as well as everyone in the world knows Harvard. Boston College while a good school is not really known in the same way.

On the other hand i have actually been thinking about returning to the UK as well as things havent been so good here.

What would you guys do in my position? Its a tough call. On the money front either way its horribly expensive KSG $28,000 per annum tuition, BC law school $31,000. I have yet to hear from the scholarships and grants i applied for with these courses so that could make the decision if i get a good financial offer.

Lots of musing to do i think over the next month i have until 24th april to make my choice.

regards,

Duncan

When of the recurring things about nearly every job I've looked at or applied for is .......Degrees...etc
Experience seems to count for little.
If you can afford to go, then in the long run it'll be well worth it and give you a great start
Old Mar 11th 2004, 5:10 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell!
My thoughts exactly Duncs!
Well done on the offer, it's amazing!! I couldn't possibly say what I would do in your position. Only you can do that. At least you have some time, and the scholarship issue will probably point you in the right direction.
All the best!
Old Mar 11th 2004, 5:15 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
Whilst I was looking for work (it was only in 2002), 'cos I had time on my hands I would think about "what if...?" Then, I realized that it was a waste of energy 'cos I couldn't change the past, only the future.

So, I put more energies into job hunting and researching ways for employers/agencies to take my resume seriously.

I think American employers, in general, don't appreciate the transferable skills of potential employees from overseas. For simplicty's sake, Americans looking over a Brit's resume look for the American work experience and American academic qualifications without any thought about equivalence. It's easier for them but they are overlooking a lot of good, strong candidates.

I've seen a lot of resumes/CVs from applicants, inc. those from overseas. It makes a whole lot of difference if the candidate makes an attempt to customize their marketing tool to the market/country they're looking to work in. e.g. don't use abbreviations or acronyms that aren't easily recognizable to a non-native.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 5:18 am
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default I wish..

I was a cat, that way I can eat,sleep, shit all day, and be able to lick my own privates!
Old Mar 11th 2004, 5:21 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I wish..

Originally posted by Yosser
I was a cat, that way I can eat,sleep, shit all day, and be able to lick my own privates!
... and probably end up as roadkill!

Cats contribution to society? Minimal. Ever heard of a "seeing eye cat"? I don't think so....
Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:46 am

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Yosser
But then your privates would be a p****, would they not?
Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:52 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

regards,

Duncan

Congratulations. An embarrassment of riches. Just a thought, if it's worth anything. I think at least half the people who have ever governed or had power of some kind in this country (and others) had been to the Kennedy School of Government. God knows I'm not suggesting that you want to run this country. As you say, it is internationally known and will be highly portable.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 10:07 am
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
But then your privates would be a p****, would they not?

The first 3 items I can do pretty well, its the last part I have a problem with, and thats after proping myself up with 7 pillows
Old Mar 11th 2004, 10:19 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Congratulations. An embarrassment of riches. Just a thought, if it's worth anything. I think at least half the people who have ever governed or had power of some kind in this country (and others) had been to the Kennedy School of Government. God knows I'm not suggesting that you want to run this country. As you say, it is internationally known and will be highly portable.
Embarrasment of riches was my first thought as well.

KSg has produced a lot of government public sector and business leaders over the years. Its also internationally known as well and even in the UK has status.

I do fancy a career in politics here, consultancy rather than elected office again but i did like the idea of getting a JD as well. God knows how to choose really.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 10:28 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Embarrasment of riches was my first thought as well.

KSg has produced a lot of government public sector and business leaders over the years. Its also internationally known as well and even in the UK has status.

I do fancy a career in politics here, consultancy rather than elected office again but i did like the idea of getting a JD as well. God knows how to choose really.

I suppose what you want to do afterwards is the key then, as in deciding if you really want to settle here for a while. My only reservation, after reading some of your posts, is that both these places have the reputation of being a little, er, how shall I put it, right wing? But of course that may have changed, and in any case you have the power of independent thought.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 10:33 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
I suppose what you want to do afterwards is the key then, as in deciding if you really want to settle here for a while. My only reservation, after reading some of your posts, is that both these places have the reputation of being a little, er, how shall I put it, right wing? But of course that may have changed, and in any case you have the power of independent thought.
BC law school i dont know about but Harvard is renowedly liberal as in the phrase he is 'a Harvard yard liberal'. Been there before i dont think my politics will be a problem.

Long term i just dont know really so i will have to give it more thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.