British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I wanta hit the ground running... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-wanta-hit-ground-running-109811/)

hokiegrad Jul 25th 2002 12:54 am

I wanta hit the ground running...

I am flying to Kiev, Ukraine in a week and a half to ask her to marry me... assuming she says yes, I have a lot of work ahead of me! I'd really like to move things along as quickly as possible (don't we all!) so I'm looking for any tips that would help speed things up.

For instance, should I take anything in particular with me to give her, or try to bring back anything in particular, to save mailing time (and costs) between us? I'll only be there for about 3.5 days, so we'll have a limited amount of time to pull things together between my asking her and my leaving again... but I want to do what I can.

Also, does anybody know what the customs limits are? It's never been an issue before, but this time I'll be taking the engagement ring, more cash than usual, a few items for some friends...

Thanks for all your help! -matthew

Rete Jul 25th 2002 1:05 am

Re: I wanta hit the ground running...

Bring over the biological form G325A that she will have to complete and sign. If you d/l from the INS site make sure she signs four copies. Take pictures while you are there to prove you have met in person. Save your boarding passes and hotel receipts. Anything that will prove you were together.

In fact read the FAQ for the K-1 now while you have the time.

The K1 FAQ http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/k1faq.htm

hokiegrad Jul 25th 2002 3:23 am

Thanks, Rete! You seem to reply to a lot of these posts, and informatively, so thanks from all of us!

I just found a site that said I needed to bring an original copy of the G325A for her to sign... so I called the INS forms number (800-870-3676) and requested that and a few others. But you're saying that what I can download off the INS website is good enough? That would be great, because I may not get those forms in the mail until after I leave.

-matthew

Originally posted by Rete
Bring over the biological form G325A that she will have to complete and sign. If you d/l from the INS site make sure she signs four copies. Take pictures while you are there to prove you have met in person. Save your boarding passes and hotel receipts. Anything that will prove you were together.

In fact read the FAQ for the K-1 now while you have the time.

The K1 FAQ http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/k1faq.htm

Mrtravel Jul 25th 2002 4:20 am

You are going to visit for only 3 1/2 days, and may decided to become engaged?
Really, I think you need to spend more time with her, her family, her culture, her
friends, etc... However, if you really are going to do this, I recommend you
consult the nearest Ukranian consulate or embassy for information on duties on
importing jewelry.

One word about the engagement ring. My wife doesn't wear hers in Russia. She says she
doesn't feel safe with it. This wouldn't be unusual since women in Russia generally
don't wear them mainly due to the income levels.

If you plan on a fiancé visa, you should bring form I-325A (biography form) as she
has to sign it for you to send it with your I-325A when you send the I-129F. At the
visa interview, she will need (from you) the I-134 and supporting financial
information.

hokiegrad wrote:
    >
    > I am flying to Kiev, Ukraine in a week and a half to ask her to marry
    > me... assuming she says yes, I have a lot of work ahead of me! I'd really like to
    > move things along as quickly as possible (don't we all!) so I'm looking for any
    > tips that would help speed things up.
    >
    > For instance, should I take anything in particular with me to give her, or try to
    > bring back anything in particular, to save mailing time (and costs) between us?
    > I'll only be there for about 3.5 days, so we'll have a limited amount of time to
    > pull things together between my asking her and my leaving again... but I want to do
    > what I can.
    >
    > Also, does anybody know what the customs limits are? It's never been an issue
    > before, but this time I'll be taking the engagement ring, more cash than usual, a
    > few items for some friends...
    >
    > Thanks for all your help! -matthew
    >
    > --

rogerpenycate Jul 25th 2002 8:20 am

"Also, does anybody know what the customs limits are? It's never been an issue before, but this time I'll be taking the engagement ring, more cash than usual, a few items for some friends... "

.................................................. ..................

It sounds as if he's been there a few times before.

S.M. Jul 25th 2002 12:20 pm

matthew I found that the best way to fill out the G-325a form is online, I have
included the link below. Unfortunately you can't save the file when you fill it
out but it automatically completes the 3 other required pages for you which saves
a bit of work. Just make sure you have it right the first time and then print out
a few copies.
S.M.

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/formsfee...les/g-325a.pdf

hokiegrad Jul 25th 2002 12:57 pm

Mrtravel wrote:
> You are going to visit for only 3 1/2 days, and may decided to become engaged?
> Really, I think you need to spend more time with her, her family, her culture, her
> friends, etc...

I would most certainly agree if my situation was as you assumed... Perhaps I should have given a little more information so that you wouldn't have made that assumption. I met her two years ago when I lived over there for a couple months. We worked together every day, teaching English (she's a freelance translator, fluent in Russian, English, and Ukrainian). I've since seen her twice more on short visits. This is not one of those dating agency things, and I am utterly convinced that she loves me. I most certainly love her.

> One word about the engagement ring. My wife doesn't wear hers in Russia. She says she
> doesn't feel safe with it. This wouldn't be unusual since women in Russia generally
> don't wear them mainly due to the income levels.

I've already done a little research on that, but you couldn't know that since I didn't mention it. In talking to friends over there it sounds like some people are starting to wear engagement rings now... but you'd have to take that on a person-to-person basis. If anyone out there is still trying to decide whether or not to get a ring, I'd suggest you ask the girl about it first (like I did). My girl does want a ring, but not the kind I would have thought... she doesn't want a solitaire or anything very flashy because she doesn't want it be that noticeable, for safety reasons. What she wanted was a yellow band with diamonds in a channel set. Much less flashy.

I was also told to keep in mind that their "yellow" gold is a different color than ours... a little more pinkish, I believe. So you'd want to buy the engagement ring and wedding ring in the same country to have them match in color.

Thanks for your tips, Mrtravel, and keep them coming... I'd much rather have things I already know repeated than miss something I didn't know!

-matthew

Mdudall Jul 25th 2002 9:20 pm

Matthew, When I have my petitioner send a G-325A over to his fiancée in the Ukraine,
I instruct the beneficiary to sign on the upper signature line in English, and have
her sign in Cyrillic on the signature line immediately below (you will see a notation
on that line asking for the signature in the native alphabet if that alphabet uses
non-roman characters).

I usually have him send the I-129f to her for her to complete line 17 using the
Cyrillic alphabet also.

And while were at it, I have him send her declaration (for her to sign) saying that
she is legally free to marry and that she intends to marry Mr. X within 90 days of
her entry into the U.S. using her K-1 visa.

There are other things you should bring back with you, however this reply is not
meant to cover everything; however I thought you might like to know about the
Cyrillic signatures on the G-325A.

Good luck, and have a safe trip.

Regards, Matthew Udall Attorney

Robert Jul 26th 2002 1:20 am

rogerpenycate <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Also, does anybody know what the customs limits are? It's never been an issue
    > before, but this time I'll be taking the engagement ring, more cash than usual, a
    > few items for some friends... "
    >
    > .................................................. .................
    >
    > It sounds as if he's been there a few times before.
    >
    >
    >
    > --

I would suggest:

See's candy for your sweetheart (a big heartlike box to give her at the engagement,
and one or two small boxes before or after), presents for her immediate family
members (especially your future mother-in-law, for your father-in-law or in general a
good foreign brandy will do it too, you may ask your fiancee too about your
intentions to bring some presents, and what she'd suggest; but she might be very
raluctant to discuss it if it concerns her, since sometimes it'll be considered
inapropriate to discuss what kind of gifts one can expect; but you can ask what kind
of gift her mother or father would prefer). Before your engagement day you can take
your fiancee to shopping (it's relly cheep down there, don't be scared, lool). Would
be a good idea to ask her to meet her friends before your engagement. She'll be happy
to do so. Just be yourself and enjoy your time. People from FSU are warm-hearted and
very hospitable.

Don't forget to take a camera and set it up the way that it'll date stamp the
pictures. Ask someone to take your picture at the moment of putting or exchanging the
engageement rings. This is an important item of proof for INS. Learn your future
in-laws names, and refer them by their names. Learn some Russian or Ukrainian
expression, these are good ice-breakers. Take a good copy of G-325A, and one already
filled out with your info. Ask her to sign it, and if time allows fill out the
original, otherwise, just ask her to sing it, and fill out a draft copy, that later
you'll transfer that info onto the clear one. Search this site too what other itmes
you may take with you.

Good luck to you, Robert