Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I want to work in USA question!

I want to work in USA question!

Old May 9th 2012, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

johntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant future
Default I want to work in USA question!

Hi people,

I want to work in the USA, It's something I think about all the time but I don't really know where to start?

Is there someone you can go and speak to with regards to work/visa/ requirements of getting into the USA?

Is there also a list online of 'jobs in short supply'?

Thanks a lot.

John
Old May 9th 2012, 12:34 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to work in USA question!

Welcome to the forum - be warned, we can be a crabby bunch

See this for visa info to see if you qualify: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified

See this for general information: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753211

Be warned now, getting into USA is not the easiest thing to do in the world. If you don't qualify for a visa (see link one) you are essentially screwed.
Old May 9th 2012, 12:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome. Another excellent Wiki article to read to add to the ones Mr Weeze has already given you is this one - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways%3A_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

That outlines all of the various visa routes in to the US, once you've figured out which you may qualify for, if any, then you can come back and ask questions about it.

Good luck.

Old May 9th 2012, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

johntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant future

Thanks Mr Weeze and christmasoompa,

I understand that you probably get asked these sorts of questions all the time.

I'll print these off and have a read tonight. I just didn't know whether the USA did a list of jobs that in need of skilled people?

Im a Structural Engineer with 11 years experience along with the following qualifications -

I've copied and pasted these off my CV...

GNVQ Advanced – Construction in the Built Environment
HND Building Studies
City & Guilds AutoCAD
AutoCAD 2002 Update, CAD2assist
BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering [1st Class]

I want to check if any of the above are valid?
Old May 9th 2012, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johntmanic
I want to work in the USA, It's something I think about all the time but I don't really know where to start?
Mr Weeze already gave you the links to start you off. If you don't qualify for a visa, you won't be coming to the US as anything other than a visitor. Here's a hint... for most people, getting a US visa is a long-term goal. Think = 10-15 years from now.

Is there someone you can go and speak to with regards to work/visa/ requirements of getting into the USA?
No one reputable, no. Avoid visa agencies at all cost.

No. Here's a word of advice though... when it comes to a job, do what you enjoy doing. Don't try to fit yourself into a job because you think there might be a US visa in it... that's no way to live. Why? Because, quite simply, you might still not get a visa out of it and you'll have wasted your life being miserable in a job you don't like.

Ian
Old May 9th 2012, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

GNVQ Advanced – Construction in the Built Environment
HND Building Studies
City & Guilds AutoCAD
AutoCAD 2002 Update, CAD2assist
BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering [1st Class]

I want to check if any of the above are valid?
Yes, they're valid. Will they help you get a job in the US? Who knows!

Here's the question to ask: Given the current US economy, what skill set do you have to offer to a prospective employer that will offset the cost of them having to sponsor you for a visa considering that there are already a lot of engineers out of work in the US and any one of them could start tomorrow without having to be sponsored?

Ian
Old May 9th 2012, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

oxonlad is an unknown quantity at this point

Most foreign nationals I know in the states married an American. Just saying... it's an option!

Last edited by oxonlad; May 9th 2012 at 4:03 pm.
Old May 9th 2012, 3:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, an Immigration Attorney would be able to go over your qualifications and see if there is a visa that fits your needs. You will also need a US company to sponsor you, if you're thinking of an H1B visa.

No.

Rene
Old May 9th 2012, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

sanfranjones has a spectacular aura aboutsanfranjones has a spectacular aura aboutsanfranjones has a spectacular aura about

Your best bet is get a job with an American contruction consultancy company that has an office in the UK. Someone like Bechtel, then ask for a transfer to the US.
Old May 9th 2012, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Are you a structural engineer with specific expertise? For example, have you worked in the oil industry?

There is a not inconsiderable cost for a US employer to bring you over here, so ideally you need to have specific niche expertise that would make it worth their while.
Old May 9th 2012, 5:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You're right, the question does get asked, a lot. A good thread from yesterday went over the intern/study type of routes.

As for the qualifications, only the degree will be recognised tbh, stuff like cityguilds mean nothing over here.

If you've got niche skills that transfers, you've certainly got a much better chance of it./

Good luck and welcome to BE
Old May 9th 2012, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

This is the best piece of advice ever. Heed well.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No. Here's a word of advice though... when it comes to a job, do what you enjoy doing. Don't try to fit yourself into a job because you think there might be a US visa in it... that's no way to live. Why? Because, quite simply, you might still not get a visa out of it and you'll have wasted your life being miserable in a job you don't like.

Ian