British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I want to train to be a teacher in America!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-want-train-teacher-america-768455/)

DeanPeckham Aug 15th 2012 8:12 pm

I want to train to be a teacher in America!!

I am looking into the possibilty of moving out to the US and doing my teacher training, I am a university graduate and currently working in a primary school in England.

I have been out to America the previous two years working for a UK company on a 8 month Visa and fell in love and want to return.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Manc Aug 15th 2012 8:13 pm

Re: I want to train to be a teacher in America!!

I want to play attacking midfielder for England.

Sally Redux Aug 15th 2012 8:15 pm

It looks like a very tough job at the moment with big cuts in our school district, and many others from what I've seen on BE.

I'm a qualified teacher but I'd think very carefully before going into it here.

civilservant Aug 15th 2012 8:57 pm

Honestly? Not gunna happen. Fiscal reality is that there are plenty of unemployed teachers in the US, let alone a school district spending -$5k to sponsor a foreigner for a visa.

Noorah101 Aug 15th 2012 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by DeanPeckham (Post 10229316)
I am looking into the possibilty of moving out to the US and doing my teacher training, I am a university graduate and currently working in a primary school in England.

I have been out to America the previous two years working for a UK company on a 8 month Visa and fell in love and want to return.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Maybe you can get a J-1 visa? I'm not sure, but that would be something to investigate.

Rene

Bob Aug 16th 2012 7:18 pm

Get a masters and study here as a student, get a J1 internship or match.com

Realistically, as a school teacher you've got zero chance of finding a employer to sponsor you for a visa, especially when you'd need to get re-certified in the state you'd want to teach.

penguinsix Aug 16th 2012 10:48 pm

As others have pointed out, this is really a difficult if not impossible dream. Basically a school district that wants to hire you has to a) be hiring (not common right now), b) tell the US government with a straight face 'we just can't find any Americans to do the job despite the record levels of unemployment and laid off teachers about' and c) we are going to spend $5,000-$10,000 in taxpayers money to hire a non-US citizen to do this job.

Flip it around--what if your local school in the UK decided to hire Canadians to be teachers instead of UK citizens. How would the taxpayers there feel about that?

Some options include:
* marry an American
* come to the US to study, marry an American
* get some advanced degrees and try to come over as a university professor.
* try to find a private school flush with cash willing to hire and sponsor someone (hint: very rare, but not impossible)

Duncan Roberts Aug 16th 2012 11:28 pm

The most likely end result is you're out a boat load of money, unable to get a job or stay in the US and with a qualification that is meaningless in the UK. Doesn't seem like a very smart idea.