British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I want to move to the US......lots of advice needed!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-want-move-us-lots-advice-needed-388056/)

WarrenH Aug 1st 2006 1:53 pm

I want to move to the US......lots of advice needed!!

Hello everyone

I'll keep it short for now....

I am 27, have just graduated with a 2:2 honours degree in Accounting & Finance from Manchester Uni. I am currently working for a debt management bank, but really want to fulfill my lifetime dream of living & working in the US of A.

Can ANYONE advise me where to start..????

Thanyou in advance..... :)

dan_alford Aug 1st 2006 1:56 pm

Re: I want to move to the US......lots of advice needed!!

Originally Posted by WarrenH
Hello everyone

I am 27, have just graduated with a 2:2 honours degree in Accounting & Finance from Manchester Uni. I am currently working for a debt management bank, but really want to fulfill my lifetime dream of living & working in the US of A.

Can ANYONE advise me where to start..????

Thanyou in advance..... :)

Easiest way: Marry us citizen

kingfisher241049 Aug 1st 2006 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Easiest way: Marry us citizen

Probably the only way, unless you can find an employer to back you with a sponsored work visa.

Angry White Pyjamas Aug 1st 2006 2:00 pm

Or work for a multinational bank and get transfered to a US office.

Ray Aug 1st 2006 2:00 pm

Hello everyone

Hi Warren... Tell us ... what is it that appeals to you about living and working in the US ..

WarrenH Aug 1st 2006 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Hi Warren... Tell us ... what is it that appeals to you about living and working in the US ..

Well, everyone has a dream, right?

Since infant school, I have always wanted to live in the States. Of course, I also wanted to be the WWF heavyweight champion & Batman & a movie star, but only one of those goals remains....

I visited NY a two years ago for a couple of weeks, & attempted to spend as much time as possible doing "normal" stuff, as opposed to the typical tourist traps.

I am aware that America is a vastly diverse country, but the general lifestyle is what appeals to me most. I returned to studying six years ago at a point when I had almost lost my ambition. I have worked very hard over the past few years, sometimes working two jobs whilst in full time education. I am now ready to take my qualifications & build the life I always wanted.

elaineKB Aug 1st 2006 2:15 pm

[QUOTE=WarrenH]Well, everyone has a dream, right?

Since infant school, I have always wanted to live in the States. Of course, I also wanted to be the WWF heavyweight champion & Batman & a movie star, but only one of those goals remains....

Good on yah...good luck...think the batman dream would have been much more fun tho... :D

Ray Aug 1st 2006 2:16 pm

but the general lifestyle is what appeals to me most.

But what do you envisage the life style is like ....
And do you have a preference for a partricular State

WarrenH Aug 1st 2006 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
But what do you envisage the life style is like ....
And do you have a preference for a partricular State

I believe the standard of living to be higher over there. I'm pretty much open as to where, but do have a preference for NY or New England

dan_alford Aug 1st 2006 2:30 pm

Well, everyone has a dream, right?

I visited NY a two years ago for a couple of weeks, & attempted to spend as much time as possible doing "normal" stuff, as opposed to the typical tourist traps.

I am aware that America is a vastly diverse country, but the general lifestyle is what appeals to me most. I returned to studying six years ago at a point when I had almost lost my ambition. I have worked very hard over the past few years, sometimes working two jobs whilst in full time education. I am now ready to take my qualifications & build the life I always wanted.

There are really only three (maybe four) routes available to you
1) Marry a US citizen. This is how I ended up living in the states, due to an internet relationship. Wife tried to live in the uk but got homesick and seeing as I didn't have that many close relatives decided to move to the USA with her.

2) Intra-company transfer. If you work for a multinational company they can arrange for you to work in the USA under certain circumstances. This is mainly only available to managers or if they can show you have the skills to fit a certain position that they cant get locally.

3) H1B - Similar to 2 except that you have to find a US company to employ you. Again has to be skills that are not available locally. There is a limit to the number of these given out and they go very very fast.

both 2 & 3 are work dependant. If you are on intra-company then you will have to leave asap. H1B I think you can get a little wiggle room to find another job ( I know some Indians who did this).

Possible 4) Green Card lottery - This is only if one of your parents is not British and comes from a country which does not usually have high emigration to the USA ( spain is one apparently).

kingfisher241049 Aug 1st 2006 2:38 pm

I believe the standard of living to be higher over there. I'm pretty much open as to where, but do have a preference for NY or New England

Good Luck, I hope you can fulfil your wishes and dreams. It won't be easy though, but if you want it badly enough I am sure you will find a way.

:)

dinosaur Aug 1st 2006 2:43 pm

Not Orlando ?!? Well, have lived in New England for a few years, and there's good and bad stuff as anywhere else. However, if you need to work for a big corporation, be warned it is unlikely that anywhere in the NYC metro/New England area that is within commuting distance of any big corp HQ will be cheap to live. Be prepared for long commutes and very high property prices (and property taxes).
You may well obtain a better standard of living; however, it's possible you may find your quality of life isn't so good (10 days vacation/year etc). Anyway, good luck.

peacelover Aug 1st 2006 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
Good Luck, I hope you can fulfil your wishes and dreams. It won't be easy though, but if you want it badly enough I am sure you will find a way.

:)

I agree with Kingfisher, if you really want it, find a way to do it. Good luck to you.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 1st 2006 3:22 pm

I have the feeling that you may have disappointed an old man.

My Brother is an Accountant, works for an American Investment Bank, but in his auditing past did 6 months in NY.

Best bet would be through a UK employer, debt management is BIG in the US, is it an International Company?

Bob Aug 1st 2006 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Or work for a multinational bank and get transfered to a US office.

so that leaves marriage then, as he won't have the experience for an employer to bother do the sponsorship thing...and H1B is out the window till next year anyway...

But could try get J1 training type visa...