Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I want to move to America

I want to move to America

Old Jul 21st 2016, 9:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to move to America

If football business and marketing means what I think it means you could see if MLS is able to offer you an internship, which would mean a J-1 visa. That is necessarily only temporary, but should enable you to make some connections and do some networking.

Otherwise advance your career and get as much experience as you can because all the expectation over here is that MLS is going to be the next professional sport to make it to the big time.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

LPayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Based on your reply, yes you have it spot on. Football (soccer) is the sport I am most keen to get into over there.

I have been in touch with MLS clubs and continue to do so, my aim here was and is to get advice on a more personal level as apposed to professional advice.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 10:17 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Everybody's situation is different and the US is a vast country, so experiences vary widely. Not to mention that one man's upside could easily be another man's downside. At the end of the day, each country will have its pros and cons and it really boils down to what's important to you personally. It sounds as though you have nothing to lose and it's always good to get some experience of a different culture so if I were you, if the opportunity arose I'd take it.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Soccer seems to be big on the west coast, not sure about the rest of the country. Womens soccer is also very popular around here. My company sponsors the local soccer team.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

What does a Football business and Marketing degree cover?

What types of jobs would one expect to get with this type of degree? In the Football world only?
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

I had to Google this degree. It looks like it's offered by an institution set up in 2011, called UCFB (University and College of Football Business).

http://ucfb.com/undergraduate-degree...eting-ba-hons/

From the prospectus, it sounds like a marketing degree that has a particular focus on football (soccer).

This won't matter to the OP as he's already got his degree, but I felt sad when I read this review: https://www.whatuni.com/university-c...eviewId=237535
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 12:06 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like a bit of an odd choice if you're into soccer to want to live in the US.

I can't stand soccer, one of the reasons I live in Canada although unfortunately some famous "English" soccer player is from Calgary, so people often ask me what I think of him and obviously that isn't much as I can't even remember his name.

The US has tougher immigration laws so the likelihood of soccer becoming more popular there is even less than it is here, I reckon. Especially now that everyone is whinging on about head injuries.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 12:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
.... The US has tougher immigration laws so the likelihood of soccer becoming more popular there is even less than it is here, I reckon. Especially now that everyone is whinging on about head injuries.
Er, the injuries, head and otherwise in "football" are becoming an even bigger in the US, so soccer is a safer alternative. It is already remarkably popular with school kids and students, and seems to get another bump in popularity with every Olympic games. In any case there are already enough hispanics in the US to give it a solid core of supporters.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 23rd 2016 at 12:59 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If football business and marketing means what I think it means you could see if MLS is able to offer you an internship, which would mean a J-1 visa.
Not sure how the visa works but I had both my kids in an MLS soccer camp last year - almost all the trainers were Brits from Manchester. There must be some kind of program running that would enable you to come and work a summer at least.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 1:52 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

The US has tougher immigration laws so the likelihood of soccer becoming more popular there is even less than it is here, I reckon. Especially now that everyone is whinging on about head injuries.
Soccer is picking up pretty quickly in the US, at least from what I see. Yeah, it's a long way behind the 'traditional' US sports, but from a marketing perspective it would seem like a pretty good time to get involved.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

jambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by King Gimp
Not sure how the visa works but I had both my kids in an MLS soccer camp last year - almost all the trainers were Brits from Manchester. There must be some kind of program running that would enable you to come and work a summer at least.
There is - it's called ChallengerSport They work the same way as agencies in the UK who recruit summer camp workers!

I've been told by a few American soccer coaches here that I've met that I could potentially get paid on top of my job (hopefully teaching) if I wanted to go into coaching too, as I have my FA Level 2... Which is crazy for coaching youth!
Old Jul 25th 2016, 5:07 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LPayne
... since graduating last year with my BA (Hons) Football Business and Marketing degree.
*shakes head in a depressed way*
Old Jul 25th 2016, 5:08 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like a bit of an odd choice if you're into soccer to want to live in the US.
Ironically, since NBC Sports obtained the EPL rights, I am able to watch far more football here in the US than I ever could possibly hope to in the UK.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I can't stand soccer, one of the reasons I live in Canada although unfortunately some famous "English" soccer player is from Calgary, so people often ask me what I think of him and obviously that isn't much as I can't even remember his name.

Soccer has been an up and coming sport in the US since the days of Phil Woosnam and Rodney Marsh.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is, the money's not there for pro soccer. The only people who play it professionally are those that are not good enough for Football, Baseball, Basketball or Hockey!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.