British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I want that house - Florida (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-want-house-florida-191996/)

waxwabbit Nov 19th 2003 3:14 pm

I want that house - Florida

Anyone in Blighty interested, ITVs prog is on at 5.30pm every weekday, and this week its all Florida!

Its sure got me interested!

:)

dylan&helen Nov 19th 2003 3:25 pm

Re: I want that house - Florida

Originally posted by waxwabbit
Anyone in Blighty interested, ITVs prog is on at 5.30pm every weekday, and this week its all Florida!

And me.......

I have it set to series link on sky+ so i tape them all.

I have never in my life enterered a competition (only every bought 1 lottery ticket).... but i entered the comp to win a house in Florida... This may sound strange, but i had the dream the night before (and i didnt even know about the program)

"watch this space"

Dylan

Pulaski Nov 19th 2003 3:29 pm

Good heavens! There's more to America than freakin' Florida!!! :rolleyes:

waxwabbit Nov 19th 2003 3:36 pm

Yes colonel, but for those of us who are planning on moving there, its good to get a better idea of houses, and what money can get u over there!

It sure beats virtual tours on yahoo!!!!!!!!!

:p

Pulaski Nov 19th 2003 4:01 pm

Yes colonel, but for those of us who are planning on moving there, its good to get a better idea of houses, and what money can get u over there! .....
No, what I was wondering was why do so many Brits who are looking to emigrate don't ever consider anywhere in the US except Florida? It's a big country, there are many, many places to live, many of them hot and sunny for much of the year, .... but not as offensively humid as Florida in the summer.

JeanDupont Nov 19th 2003 4:06 pm

Good points about central Florida - easy, frequent and often cheap flights from all parts of the UK.
Plenty of management services for your lawn/pool/pest control when you're not in residence.
Lots of things to do for tourists which means your family will come and visit (may not be a plus point in some cases)
Easy rental for your property if you want to - and if you can be bothered with all the extra taxes and regulations.
And of course the mild winters.

ladyofthelake Nov 19th 2003 4:32 pm

I had a look at the ITV website for the programme, and the prices quoted for the homes they show look highly suspicious. I can't comment on Orlando as there are a lot of holiday homes available there and I don't know the realistic prices. I have lived in Tampa though, and the homes they are showing and the prices are not the norm.
It looks like they are showing a model home with every conceivable upgrade thrown in, with all the best furniture, but quoting the base price. New homes do not normally come furnished or with a pool, unless you buy the model home, which sky rockets the price again. It's OK for a bit a fun viewing, just take it with a pinch of salt.

Ray Nov 19th 2003 5:57 pm

Originally posted by Pulaski
I quite agree...but if you do have to come stay in Orlando...please (lol) :scared:

waxwabbit Nov 19th 2003 6:01 pm

My job is limited to a few states in the US, which is an issue , and Fl is nearer to my wives family than say Nevada, which factors in my job too.

Ray Nov 19th 2003 6:11 pm

My job is limited to a few states in the US, which is an issue , and Fl is nearer to my wives family than say Nevada, which factors in my job too.
That comment was not aimed at the people living here but at the
dammed tourist who make life on the road a misery either too slow or too fast...They don't seem to understand the basic rules of driving here...My truck is bigger than your renta crap so get out of the way...

Steff Nov 19th 2003 7:19 pm

I think there is some kinda Florida obsession too!

When my husband went to his interview in London, he got this Brit expat newspaper for Brits going to the US. Guess what was in it-
brits going to florida, houses in florida, businesses in floridafloridaflorida! When I was in the UK, people would always ask, "have you been to Florida?" I mean, its a nice place, (too hot for me tho), but some Brits seem to be a really crazy about Florida, hehe

dylan&helen Nov 19th 2003 7:51 pm

No, what I was wondering was why do so many Brits who are looking to emigrate don't ever consider anywhere in the US except Florida? It's a big country, there are many, many places to live, many of them hot and sunny for much of the year, .... but not as offensively humid as Florida in the summer.
I have definitely considered much more than Florida… but for us, as a family, it just suits us I suppose. Having visitors plays a part in our decision. I am sure Florida will play a big part in getting people over to see us.

Its obviously not the main reason of course, I just love the place (anything southwest, and at least 40 miles away from Orlando – even though I am spending over a week there soon)

And the whole "Brits in Florida" is not what i am looking for... I want to distance myself from the "buy a tea shop" crowd, and become a part time yank (maybe full time some day).

I must admit, the last time i went to the Orlando area, i decided never to go back again. Don't get me wrong its great fun... just too many brits (when all i want to do is taste some USA).

May sound like a contradiction, but we are going to Disney for Xmas (just for my 3 year old son – and my dad is going to visit me there, on route to Vegas)

If I had a choice it would be Key West, I love the place… just too expensive to live, I am sure. However, from Ft Myers, it is around a 3 ½-hour boat trip I think.

I can’t remember who gave me the link to www.investorvisausa.com (Lesley Sillitto) but she is great. I am aware everyone wants to nail my hat on, but she is paid in full, when you get the visa, and she is very much tuned in to the subject.

NC Penguin Nov 19th 2003 8:01 pm

Just out of interest, what other (non-US?) locations have been featured in this series?

NC Penguin

dylan&helen Nov 19th 2003 8:41 pm

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Just out of interest, what other (non-US?) locations have been featured in this series?

NC Penguin
I have seen New Orleans, Mississippi and a few places in NY State

Dylan

ladyofthelake Nov 19th 2003 9:44 pm

Originally posted by NC Penguin

NC Penguin
You can see for yourself here .