British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I want a fresh start !!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-want-fresh-start-597062/)

cmsassy Mar 12th 2009 10:34 am

I want a fresh start !!!!

Hello to everyone on here, am new to here and am currently looking into making a new start for me and my daughter in the states. Apart from thinking and dreaming about it, am really at a loss of what i need to do and where i go to find out more. Can anyone help ??? Will be starting from scratch, so i suppose the main items are somewhere to live and employment, as well as my daughters education.
Thank you in advance
Claire xx

chris23 Mar 12th 2009 10:43 am

Re: I want a fresh start !!!!

Hi cmassy,

You have a few options but the easiest is marrying a USC, thats a big step and obviously the marriage will need to be legit otherwise your visa will be revoked.

have a look at www.uscis.gov for alternative visas.

Does your field of work involve anything very specialized. Or have you had plenty of experience in a highly skilled field. Visit the above website for a list of jobs. You need 12 years experience in your field or a Bachelors Degree.

Chris

cmsassy Mar 12th 2009 11:27 am

Hi Chris

Thanks for the info, unfortunately marriage is out of the question, do not know any USC :(

My job is just assessing and agreeing Marine Insurance Claims, nothing to specialized really, but you do have to have knowledge of certain rules and regulations.

I shall keep looking and finding out as much as I can, and hopefully sort something out. Just want to give my daughter a fresh and brighter start :D

Claire xx

penguinsix Mar 12th 2009 11:57 am

Start here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

That is a list of the visas that are available to enter the US. You have to find one that you are qualified for and then find someone / some company that will sponsor you for one of those.

We get a message like your nearly every day, and its not that we like to be harsh but we do feel the need to be realistic. There are folks out there who do things (like sell there car, 'burn a bridge') thinking 'screw it, I'm off to America' only to later find out how hard it really is, and there are also some unscrupulous folks who advertise themselves as 'immigration consultants' and take a fee to submit paperwork that will simply never be approved because of the difficulty in obtaining a visa.

To be blunt: it is highly unlikely you will be able to find a visa and/or a sponsor. The basic premise of the US government is 'we do not want or need you'. Your mission is to find an exception to this assumption.

Some ways include:

* marriage
* coming over for Uni / graduate degree (and then finding a spouse)
* working for a huge multi-national company and getting transferred
* investing a minimum of about $250k in a US company.
* having a Uni degree or 12 years experience in a highly sought after field (think software engineer, lawyer, or doctor).

In short, it's going to be really rough. Really difficult.

But take a look at the list and if you think there is one you qualify for let us know and we'll offer more advice on the specifics.

Good luck

Duncan Roberts Mar 12th 2009 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by cmsassy (Post 7371152)
i suppose the main items are somewhere to live and employment, as well as my daughters education.

No, the main item is getting a visa. Based on what you've said so far that looks highly unlikely.

christmasoompa Mar 12th 2009 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by cmsassy (Post 7371353)
Just want to give my daughter a fresh and brighter start :D

From what you've said, it's highly unlikely you'd get any visa for the US, so how about considering other 'easier' countries such as Oz, NZ or Canada?

Or even another area of the UK - there are plenty of places in the UK that are great for bringing up children and then you don't have to go through the huge cost and stress of moving countries!

Best of luck. :)

eugene43 Mar 12th 2009 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 7371803)
From what you've said, it's highly unlikely you'd get any visa for the US, so how about considering other 'easier' countries such as Oz, NZ or Canada?

Or even another area of the UK - there are plenty of places in the UK that are great for bringing up children and then you don't have to go through the huge cost and stress of moving countries!

Best of luck. :)

have you tryed getting into oz lately

Englishtart Mar 12th 2009 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by cmsassy (Post 7371152)
Hello to everyone on here, am new to here and am currently looking into making a new start for me and my daughter in the states. Apart from thinking and dreaming about it, am really at a loss of what i need to do and where i go to find out more. Can anyone help ??? Will be starting from scratch, so i suppose the main items are somewhere to live and employment, as well as my daughters education.
Thank you in advance
Claire xx

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!! sorry, feel so much better now! :huh:

tonrob Mar 12th 2009 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 7373848)
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!! sorry, feel so much better now! :huh:

Go on - get stuck in. You know you want to! :rofl:

Bob Mar 13th 2009 12:20 am

Originally Posted by eugene43 (Post 7373810)

compared to somewhere that's a no go, it's a lot more doable, and compared to the US, relative piece of piss, even Canada, which has made it a lot tougher is still a piece of piss in comparison to the US.

So yeah, it's sound advice, along with South Africa and easiest of all, any other EU country.

Bob Mar 13th 2009 12:24 am

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 7371464)
* investing a minimum of about $250k in a US company.
* having a Uni degree or 12 years experience in a highly sought after field (think software engineer, lawyer, or doctor).

Don't forget to include living expenses on top of getting a business, so enough for a house, car, bills, food etc.

And those work fields for a doctor/lawyer usually require years of re-training to be qualified to practice over here too.

MrEmjoy Mar 13th 2009 2:44 am

Have you looked at other options?

Bide your time, ultimately YOU are going to give your daughter the best possible life, it doesnt matter where you are, its what you do for her, who you surround yourself with, again, not where you are.

You're in the EU you have allot of options open to you, maybe look around the EU and see if there is anything closer to the UK, america wouldnt be my first option, the fact my wife is here is the main reason I'm here.

Englishtart Mar 13th 2009 3:04 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 7373868)
Go on - get stuck in. You know you want to! :rofl:

I really do..........I'm just not in the right frame of mind to be of much help!
:frown:

Manc Mar 13th 2009 3:42 am

no need to remove my effing and jeffing..........

christmasoompa Mar 13th 2009 8:07 am

Originally Posted by eugene43 (Post 7373810)

No, I haven't 'tryed' it (or even tried it), but it's waaaaay easier than the US, trust me! ;)