British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I used to live in Florida (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-used-live-florida-436164/)

iused2liveinflorida Mar 21st 2007 10:45 am

I used to live in Florida

I lived in Florida for half of my life, but I am a British citizen. I met a girl out there and we got married, and I filed all the paper work for a greencard. But a few months before I had was supposed to have the interview, my Dad died and my Mum wanted to move back to England, and as she is disabled I returned to England with her, voiding my GC petition. Also, my wife and I were not getting on very well. That was a few years ago. Me and my wife are still married but we haven't seen each other since last summer when I went to visit (I am still live in England). I have not had the economic means to return to the USA sooner. Does anyone know if there is any way I can return to America and get a greencard still, in the fastest way possible so I can get a job and everything?

Ray Mar 21st 2007 12:05 pm

Re: I used to live in Florida

Originally Posted by iused2liveinflorida (Post 4541781)
I lived in Florida for half of my life, but I am a British citizen. I met a girl out there and we got married, and I filed all the paper work for a greencard. But a few months before I had was supposed to have the interview, my Dad died and my Mum wanted to move back to England, and as she is disabled I returned to England with her, voiding my GC petition. Also, my wife and I were not getting on very well. That was a few years ago. Me and my wife are still married but we haven't seen each other since last summer when I went to visit (I am still live in England). I have not had the economic means to return to the USA sooner. Does anyone know if there is any way I can return to America and get a greencard still, in the fastest way possible so I can get a job and everything?

Divorce the first wife ..and marry another US citizen...

Bob Mar 21st 2007 3:57 pm

if you weren't a US citizen and hadn't gotten a greencard in the works till fairly recently, how did you stay in the US legally all this time?

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 21st 2007 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4542815)
if you weren't a US citizen and hadn't gotten a greencard in the works till fairly recently, how did you stay in the US legally all this time?

E2?

Quite an interesting guessing game.

Bob Mar 21st 2007 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 4542856)
E2?

looks a good bet...

fatbrit Mar 21st 2007 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 4542856)
E2?

Overstay on VWP is my bet. If so, he won't be coming back soon.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 21st 2007 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 4542994)
Overstay on VWP is my bet. If so, he won't be coming back soon.

But:

we haven't seen each other since last summer when I went to visit

fatbrit Mar 21st 2007 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 4543005)
But:

He was lucky, maybe?

We've already had the 13-year J1 with visits this week!

iused2liveinflorida Mar 21st 2007 8:17 pm

E2 Visa. Anyway, can anyone help with the question? I still like my wife, but we have issues, like most marriages.

Bob Mar 21st 2007 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by iused2liveinflorida (Post 4543648)
E2 Visa. Anyway, can anyone help with the question? I still like my wife, but we have issues, like most marriages.

lawyer - www.ailalaywer.com

and there's also a visa section to the site.

fatbrit Mar 21st 2007 8:33 pm

There are two methods to get here if married to a USC who lives in the US and she is willing to sponsor you. The first is using a K3 visa, and the second is not usually discussed civilly on this board but if I told you how to do it, you wouldn't be able to use it legally, anyway! How about asking the question next time you're over for a visit and then there's a solution for ya!

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 21st 2007 8:52 pm

Does she like you, well enough to sponsor you to emmigrate to the US?

iused2liveinflorida Mar 21st 2007 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 4543715)
There are two methods to get here if married to a USC who lives in the US and she is willing to sponsor you. The first is using a K3 visa, and the second is not usually discussed civilly on this board but if I told you how to do it, you wouldnt be able to use it legally, anyway! How about asking the question next time youre over for a visit and then theres a solution for ya!

So the second option involves entering the country on a visa waiver without admitting my intent is to stay to be sponsored in. I understand.

Does she like you, well enough to sponsor you to emmigrate to the US?
Yes, we are married, we dont hate each other. We just have difficulties like other married couples.

Ray Mar 21st 2007 8:58 pm

Well ..depends a lot on your age as well
you would have aged out at 21 on the E-2 and should have left then ...

if you stayed and got married but never completed your AOS...
after the age of 21 you may find you are a banned person ...

More detail required ... ... as to ages and timelines ...

fatbrit Mar 21st 2007 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by iused2liveinflorida (Post 4543794)
So the second option involves entering the country on a visa waiver without admitting my intent is to stay to be sponsored in. I understand.

If I said any more, I'd have to kill you.