Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I think I messed up sending C1 to Washington

I think I messed up sending C1 to Washington

Old Dec 14th 2010, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light
Default I think I messed up sending C1 to Washington

I can't believe I did this but I overnight mailed a passport application to UK Embassy in Washington; but did not put the 19 Observatory Circle NW in the address.

Now I realize the British Embassy is a different address than the passport office part address.

Do you think my package will be directed to the right place?
Old Dec 14th 2010, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think I messed up sending C1 to Washington

The Post Office does some pretty nifty stuff at times, but it's my suspicion it depends on how nice they are at the Post Office the mail gets to. This is the correct address:

UK Passport Service for the Americas and Caribbean
British Embassy
19 Observatory Circle N.W.
Washington DC 20008

If you had the whole of the passport service line, just not the 19 Observatory Circle part, I think (just my guess here) that it will get to the right place. If you just put "British Embassy" not the whole line I think it would most likely (also a complete guess) get to somewhere in the correct building, but could be a long long time before the application got to the correct office within the building.

Or... the 20008 zipcode Post Master could be a complete monster and it'll eventually get returned to sender. Not sure anyone can know for sure.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

You say you sent it "overnight". On that basis you should have some form of tracking number. Mind you, if it can't be delivered, it should be returned to you fairly quickly.

Having said that, I sent mine in on Thursday, with an expected delivery date of Saturday and as of today (Monday) it's still apparently drifting around Washington, sigh.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the answers I did get the passport service office right.

I just missed the street.

UK Passport Service for the Americas and Caribbean
British Embassy
Washington DC 20008

I had written the proper address on the envelope then the post office guy said I had to write it out on a special label which he stuck over my handwritten address; I guess I was not paying attention.

I am not too worried about a bit of a delay but worried that all y important documents will get lost in the process.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is it will get there ok, and even to the right office as you mentioned the Passport Office. Might be a delay of a day or two because it might have to be sorted by hand rather than machine, but I think it will get there. Again, just a guess!
Old Dec 15th 2010, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

It looks like the Post Office took pity on me.

Tracking showed it left the sorting office then seemed to come back.
Now I just received an email that is was delivered and there is a PDF attached showing who it was signed for by and it said there address was 19 Observatory Circle.

Thank you all for the re-assurance and I feel better now.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Incidentally, FYI my application arrived at the embassy on the 14th and I received my new passport today, the 23rd, which is a pretty fast turnaround to my mind. I didn't ask for expedited processing or anything either.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Incidentally, FYI my application arrived at the embassy on the 14th and I received my new passport today, the 23rd, which is a pretty fast turnaround to my mind. I didn't ask for expedited processing or anything either.
Wow, that was fast and thanks for sharing.

Was yours a renewal or a new application?

My application, my daughters really, arrived the same day. I am hoping I will be as lucky as you.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

It was a renewal. I was quite surprised: I thought with the holidays etc it would take longer.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

It was a renewal. I was quite surprised: I thought with the holidays etc it would take longer.
Thanks, I believe renewals go through quicker than new applications.
Nevertheless, that is still quicker than they indicate.

I am hoping to get my daughters back before Jan 20th.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: I think I messed up sending C1 to Washington

Originally Posted by mwdake
I can't believe I did this but I overnight mailed a passport application to UK Embassy in Washington; but did not put the 19 Observatory Circle NW in the address.

Now I realize the British Embassy is a different address than the passport office part address.

Do you think my package will be directed to the right place?
FYI - The Embassy (3100 Massachusetts Ave NW) and the UK Passport Service (19 Observatory Circle NW) are actually at the same location, the latter use a different address to speed passport applications through the system. I think the USPS is quite used to receiving mail for the British Embassy with the street address missing, so I wouldn't worry too much.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

FYI - The Embassy (3100 Massachusetts Ave NW) and the UK Passport Service (19 Observatory Circle NW) are actually at the same location, the latter use a different address to speed passport applications through the system. I think the USPS is quite used to receiving mail for the British Embassy with the street address missing, so I wouldn't worry too much.

That's good to know.
Thanks for sharing.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

I wish they had a way to check the status of a Passport application.

My daughter leaves for Austria for 6 months on Thursday AM.
I was hoping she would get her British Passport before she left.
Fortunately she can travel on her US Passport as she got her Austrian student visa all sorted out quite quickly.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

I thought you could call a UK number. I know it's not cheap, but it's on the Embassy website. http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...w-to-apply/usa
Old Jan 17th 2011, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
I thought you could call a UK number. I know it's not cheap, but it's on the Embassy website. http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...w-to-apply/usa
Thanks for the reminder of the help line number; but from what I have read they are not much help and I am not sure if even they can check on the status.

I was thinking why can't the UK Embassy Passport Service make an online 'Status Check' on their website similar to the one the US has for their passports?