Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I speaka da english..........

Wikiposts

I speaka da english..........

Old Apr 9th 2004, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

ok.... how about I'll give you a bell????? I got some funny looks with that...

Oh and.... See you in a bit.....
Old Apr 10th 2004, 4:09 am
GJB
dart throwin' doofus

GJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to behold

Note that the thread 'British Accent' covers most of what is covered here in greater detail.

Repetition? You can say that again!

GJB
Old Apr 10th 2004, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by GJB
Note that the thread 'British Accent' covers most of what is covered here in greater detail.

Repetition? You can say that again!

GJB
Hello

Actually the british accent thread is about comments about our accent, not about the differences in speech and funny things that happen so it's not repetative.

Just having a little fun.

Oh... just remebered one.. .... Went to Victoria secrets and asked where they kept the suspensers..... I got a very funny look.... Had to explain I wanted something to hold up my stockings.... The light bulb came on and she showed me to the garter belts....... She watched me all the time while I shopped... Was a little unerving, I felt like a shop lifter suspect.... hahaha
Old Apr 10th 2004, 9:04 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by honeymommy
Hello

Actually the british accent thread is about comments about our accent, not about the differences in speech and funny things that happen so it's not repetative.

Just having a little fun.

Oh... just remebered one.. .... Went to Victoria secrets and asked where they kept the suspensers..... I got a very funny look.... Had to explain I wanted something to hold up my stockings.... The light bulb came on and she showed me to the garter belts....... She watched me all the time while I shopped... Was a little unerving, I felt like a shop lifter suspect.... hahaha
I think "suspenders" are what we call "braces" in the U.K. So whereas we use "suspenders" (braces) to hold up our "trousers" (pants), Americans use "a garter belt" (suspenders) to hold up their "hose" (stockings). What a confusing mess!
Old Apr 10th 2004, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
One of the things my husband often points out is when I say me instead of my... 'oh me mum called' or 'wheres me keys' I have noticed others look at me strange when I have said that and it is one bad habit I am really trying to break.

Ash
It is the opposite with us, my US husband has picked up the habit of saying "me" instead of "my", he also says fags instead of cigarettes!
As I work in a school with precocious 10-12 yr old boys I have to be careful not to say rubber instead of eraser. I would never hear the end of it if I made that mistake
Old Apr 10th 2004, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by dunroving
I think "suspenders" are what we call "braces" in the U.K. So whereas we use "suspenders" (braces) to hold up our "trousers" (pants), Americans use "a garter belt" (suspenders) to hold up their "hose" (stockings). What a confusing mess!

So as a man ya don't go to a mens outfitters for braces. you go for suspenders..... Puts a whole new pic on men that love women in suspenders doesn't it... LOL

Oh and a garter is that small loop of silk and lace women wear up round thier thighwhen they get married.

I just remember the embarrasment I had in Victoria secrets..
And I don't ask for knickers anymore either, but thats another story
Old Apr 10th 2004, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by mrsm
It is the opposite with us, my US husband has picked up the habit of saying "me" instead of "my", he also says fags instead of cigarettes!
As I work in a school with precocious 10-12 yr old boys I have to be careful not to say rubber instead of eraser. I would never hear the end of it if I made that mistake

Hahaha... Can you imagine....

"Excuse me sir, I would like to bum a fag"
Old Apr 10th 2004, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

After a VERY long tiring trip from London I finally checked into my hotel, starving and irritable. I call down to the room service order taker. I ordered my main course just fine and then she asked if I wanted a starter... A Super Salad. Yes I said, that would be lovely. Long pause... Ma'am do you want a Super Salad? Now I'm the one pausing wondering why the hotel had a deaf person working the phones! In my clearest most audible tone verging on rude but just managing to hang on to my last shread of politeness I repeat, Y-e-s, that - would - be - fine.
Long long pause... Ma'am, which one do you want, the Soup or the Salad?
Maybe they should just offer the Salad before the Soup
Old Apr 12th 2004, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

When we first moved to the US I was amased at the amount of men called Jesus. I thought oh well they must be very religious here... I found out to my embarrasement at the managers office one day that the wonderful handy man I had been calling Jesus for about 3 months ( just read his name badge) was actually pronounced 'heysuse'

They all had a laugh at my expense....
Old Apr 13th 2004, 6:42 am
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

I had real problems in Bed Bath and Beyond trying to find a valance sheet for my new kingsize bed....the sales assistant kept showing me curtains...I was so confused.

Only now have I got used to the fact that it's called a bed skirt....

The other one I jsut don't get is bangs? What the....? A fringe is a fringe is a fringe, what is a "Bang" for pete's sake.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 7:03 am
Just Joined

sterlingandjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I speaka da english..........

Originally posted by Pulaski
With me too, that, and "ledduce", after getting blank looks in the place where I buy salads for lunch.
It seems to me that Americans use a much narrower vocabulary than people in the UK. Whether it be packages and parcels, carts, barrows and trollies, or cupboards and closets, it seems to me that in the UK people would understand what you wanted if you used any of those words because of the context. Americans just don't seem to get it!
I think its the combination of the word that isnt unknown but rarely used for that purpose AND the accent. I wonder if you could seperate those two things what the reaction would be. If it were any other nationality accent it would probably be easier to understand.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 9:58 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I speaka da english..........

Originally posted by sterlingandjack
I think its the combination of the word that isnt unknown but rarely used for that purpose AND the accent. ....
I am sure that you are right - I sometimes get a blank look from even my wife who says that she sometimes just hears me say a string of indecipherable words, she never "catches hold" and is therefore unable to pick up the context. Its just one of those things.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 10:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by honeymommy .... I had been calling Jesus for about 3 months ( just read his name badge) was actually pronounced 'heysuse' ...
I remeber many years ago that a Spanish student who stayed with us one summer would say "heysuse" every time somebody sneezed and we had no idea what she meant, ... until we asked her to write it down. Then it made sense.