Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I renounced my citizenship today

I renounced my citizenship today

Old Jun 2nd 2007, 2:37 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I renounced my citizenship today

Well, today marked the end of an era. After a disturbing visit to the loathsome DMV I left no longer a 'citizen' of the great country of Texas. I now have a CA drivers license, and a set of matching CA license plates for my car.
It was a little sad to take the TX plates off the Jeep and dutifully replace them with CA ones.
Lets hope Sue's residency will be in CA too, or I'll have to go through all this again next year; and who knows where that could be . . .
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 2:47 am
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I renounced my citizenship today

Originally Posted by Pony
Well, today marked the end of an era. After a disturbing visit to the loathsome DMV I left no longer a 'citizen' of the great country of Texas. I now have a CA drivers license, and a set of matching CA license plates for my car.
It was a little sad to take the TX plates off the Jeep and dutifully replace them with CA ones.
Lets hope Sue's residency will be in CA too, or I'll have to go through all this again next year; and who knows where that could be . . .
camp xray?
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 2:51 am

She said she is going to be a radiologist. I hope she read the pamphlet properly when she signed up . . .

Originally Posted by leonatlanta
camp xray?
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 2:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

She said she is going to be a radiologist. I hope she read the pamphlet properly when she signed up . . .
Hello there...pleased to hear you've settled in Ca.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 3:09 am

Howdy JG.
It was a lot more work than I imagined. My horse got sick during the move and a $10,000 operation for him was the worst possible timing. Poor Sue flew back to Texas to do some relief work (she has a TX veterinarian license to practise but won't get her CA one until December), the money is amazing though. After spending 8 years in school without an income she finds she can make $500 a shift doing relief work! I keep asking if I can retire yet, to which she reminds me she knows 8 ways to kill someone without leaving any evidence

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello there...pleased to hear you've settled in Ca.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 3:18 am
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

crap! $10 000! ouch. my cat got sick and we had to pay up $2000!!! if only i had know that cranberry tablets from walmart costing a mere $3.00 would have saved me my wallet before i took the thing to the vet (on xmas day!)
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 3:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Howdy JG.
It was a lot more work than I imagined. My horse got sick during the move and a $10,000 operation for him was the worst possible timing. Poor Sue flew back to Texas to do some relief work (she has a TX veterinarian license to practise but won't get her CA one until December), the money is amazing though. After spending 8 years in school without an income she finds she can make $500 a shift doing relief work! I keep asking if I can retire yet, to which she reminds me she knows 8 ways to kill someone without leaving any evidence
Must have been a traumatic journey...is he OK now? So all her hard work is finally paying off...she's done well.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 4:52 am

The killer is my wife is now a vet, but sadly the horse was in Bakersfield CA and we were still in TX.
They think his intestines (or some other 'guts') got twisted up during transit (the wife did tell me the medical term, but I remembered 'twisted up', sometime after the 'big bill' stopped smarting). They operated to fix it, but when they opened him up they found nothing! It transpires the very fact of turning him upside down ready for the procedure probably rectified the problem!!! So if he had been washed and groomed then turned out in to a field he would have done what he always does - roll in the dirt :curse:. That would have saved us $10,000.
remind me again why I have so many animals as members of the family, its easy to forget sometimes

Originally Posted by leonatlanta
crap! $10 000! ouch. my cat got sick and we had to pay up $2000!!! if only i had know that cranberry tablets from walmart costing a mere $3.00 would have saved me my wallet before i took the thing to the vet (on xmas day!)
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 5:07 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Colic (well thats what it sounds like they were afraid of to me) will kill a horse within a day, so I guess they didnt want to take the chance? What kind of horse is it?
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 5:14 am

It was colic, your right. I asked Sue what it was, but my eyes started to roll and glaze at the 'funny sounding words'. He is a Hanoverian. We basically had 30 minutes to decide whether to euthanize him or empty the bank account and try to save him. He first showed problems on route just outside CA, and by the time he had been taken to a vet and then to the emergency hospital a day had already passed. Not knowing whether it would be successful we were faced with spending all that money and still losing him. He is 17, so not a young horse (although still a good 10 years left in him).
Looking back it was awful, we got the news on the day Sue graduated, so it tainted what should have been a day of celebration. I remember we had a 'discussion' on what to do, but realsitically it was never that. It was Sue's way of allowing me to come to terms with spending all that money . . .

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Colic (well thats what it sounds like they were afraid of to me) will kill a horse within a day, so I guess they didnt want to take the chance? What kind of horse is it?

Last edited by Pony; Jun 2nd 2007 at 5:16 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 9:22 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

The killer is my wife is now a vet, but sadly the horse was in Bakersfield CA and we were still in TX.
They think his intestines (or some other 'guts') got twisted up during transit (the wife did tell me the medical term, but I remembered 'twisted up', sometime after the 'big bill' stopped smarting). They operated to fix it, but when they opened him up they found nothing! It transpires the very fact of turning him upside down ready for the procedure probably rectified the problem!!! So if he had been washed and groomed then turned out in to a field he would have done what he always does - roll in the dirt :curse:. That would have saved us $10,000.
remind me again why I have so many animals as members of the family, its easy to forget sometimes
When we were raising Morgans, our stallion got colic on a regular basis-he'd get down and roll and that was the tip off. I remember many a night with him in the barn to "walk it off."
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

It was colic, your right. I asked Sue what it was, but my eyes started to roll and glaze at the 'funny sounding words'. He is a Hanoverian. We basically had 30 minutes to decide whether to euthanize him or empty the bank account and try to save him. He first showed problems on route just outside CA, and by the time he had been taken to a vet and then to the emergency hospital a day had already passed. Not knowing whether it would be successful we were faced with spending all that money and still losing him. He is 17, so not a young horse (although still a good 10 years left in him).
Looking back it was awful, we got the news on the day Sue graduated, so it tainted what should have been a day of celebration. I remember we had a 'discussion' on what to do, but realsitically it was never that. It was Sue's way of allowing me to come to terms with spending all that money . . .
You're lucky, particulary if he was already torsed - we operated on my Trakehner for that years ago, but he didn't make it off the table.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Howdy JG.
Even without the CA license - can't she work under supervision?
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:27 pm

She is doing relief work in Texas, mainly at small practices - she is the only doctor on duty (nights weekends, holiday cover etc). We hadn't planned to go to CA so she sat the TX boards instead. She is sitting the CA boards later this year at the next avalable opportunity (mainly in case she hates the internship and wants to go in to general practice instead).
She could work under supervision (and in fact will be when she starts as an intern in July), but she couldn't earn the type of money she wants to replace what we spent on Bossanova. She knows lots of people in the DFW area after working for many years as a vet tech, so its good to see all her old friends whilst getting some good experience and good money.
She will be flying home early next week for a couple of days before going back out again for 3 weeks, which is lousy as I fly to our Detroit office on Sunday (short notice). We are like ships passing in the night at the moment . . .

Originally Posted by Tracym
Even without the CA license - can't she work under supervision?

Last edited by Pony; Jun 2nd 2007 at 11:29 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

She is doing relief work in Texas, mainly at small practices - she is the only doctor on duty (nights weekends, holiday cover etc). We hadn't planned to go to CA so she sat the TX boards instead. She is sitting the CA boards later this year at the next avalable opportunity (mainly in case she hates the internship and wants to go in to general practice instead).
She could work under supervision (and in fact will be when she starts as an intern in July), but she couldn't earn the type of money she wants to replace what we spent on Bossanova. She knows lots of people in the DFW area after working for many years as a vet tech, so its good to see all her old friends whilst getting some good experience and good money.
She will be flying home early next week for a couple of days before going back out again for 3 weeks, which is lousy as I fly to our Detroit office on Sunday (short notice). We are like ships passing in the night at the moment . . .
wot do u do to have to come to sunny detroit?

At the moment i am spending most of my days stuck in traffic just on the outskirts. I dont mind the lodge being closed, but does every damn alternative route have to be closed too!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.