Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I NEED HELP PLZ

I NEED HELP PLZ

Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

helpmeplz11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I NEED HELP PLZ

I am a US citizen and a US military veteran, I married a man in the UK and we have two children. We currently reside in the UK. He has become mental and sometimes physically abusive...I NEED OUT, back to the US. I do not work and my health is not the greatest. I have little money and I CAN NOT LOOSE custody of my children. If I try to fight for custody in the UK I think I will loose cause I do not have a job. I have a dual citizenship and I would like to keep it. I would like to still live in the UK but I am afraid to. Can someone please help me... time is running out for me and my kids.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:01 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I NEED HELP PLZ

So get a protection order and a divorce. It's a hell of a lot easier to live in the UK as a disabled person with no income than the US. Try your local CAB.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:18 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
So get a protection order and a divorce. It's a hell of a lot easier to live in the UK as a disabled person with no income than the US. Try your local CAB.
I agree.

And since she has UK citizenship, her situation is no different from a native born UK citizen who finds herself in the same shoes.

The CAB is a good place to start. Then there is Shelter, if finding cheap accommodation is an issue. Plus I'm sure there's other organisations that will help those who are caught in a domestic violence situation.

If she has no means of her own, she should qualify for Legal Aid for the divorce.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

helpmeplz11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not qualify as a disabled person. If I go to CAB then I have to prove the abuse how do you do that?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:39 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helpmeplz11
I do not qualify as a disabled person. If I go to CAB then I have to prove the abuse how do you do that?
Just get yourself along there and give them your story.

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helpmeplz11
If you qualify for legal aid, it'll be based on your income, not your disability.

You don't need to prove anything to the Citizen's advice people about spousal abuse, so please don't worry about that. They will be able to offer good advice to you about your options so don't be afraid to contact them. If you can go into your local office and see someone face to face then I'm sure you'll find them helpful. You won't lose your UK citizenship just because you divorce your husband, as someone else said, you have the same rights as any other UK citizen.

If you need to leave home with your children and go to a safe place then you should give women's aid a call on 0808 2000 247

Last edited by The Horticulturalist; Sep 14th 2009 at 7:48 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 21st 2009, 6:27 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
If you qualify for legal aid, it'll be based on your income, not your disability.

You don't need to prove anything to the Citizen's advice people about spousal abuse, so please don't worry about that. They will be able to offer good advice to you about your options so don't be afraid to contact them. If you can go into your local office and see someone face to face then I'm sure you'll find them helpful. You won't lose your UK citizenship just because you divorce your husband, as someone else said, you have the same rights as any other UK citizen.

If you need to leave home with your children and go to a safe place then you should give women's aid a call on 0808 2000 247
Also, in the UK the kids say with the Mother in the VAST majority of cases. Not having a job will not in itself lose you custody. Domestic violence, however, may lose him custody. Likelihood being joint custody and them living with you, following a horrible court case and lengthy affidavits.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:34 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Check out http://talk.uk-yankee.com/ and post a message there. Many Americans living in the UK have run the full gamut of social services and how to access them and they can give you some help and support.