British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I Need Help. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-need-help-703007/)

Deredas Jan 30th 2011 6:39 pm

I Need Help.

Hey guys,

I'm in real need of peoples help/experience, I'm hoping that maybe someone could shed some light for me :)

Well currently I'm in college studying an ICT national diploma, and then i am going to university to study Ethical hacking and Information Security to gain my bachelors degree.

I have always wanted to move to America, but i just cant think of the best way to go around it. I've looked into all the visas and routes, but there is always a catch to them.

I was wondering if someone could just help me with the following questions :)

1. With that degree, how is the current demand for that area in America?
2. What would be the best way to go about looking for jobs?
3. What would you do?

Many thanks guys :)

Alex

cluedweasel Jan 30th 2011 6:56 pm

Re: I Need Help.

Your best bet is to get a job in the UK with a business with a US presence. Then look at a transfer when one is available.

Bob Jan 30th 2011 8:12 pm

Have a look at the wiki, http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

That'll essentially show if you have a way in.

Best way, marry a US citizen, other wise look for a company that has a US presence and will transfer you.

At the moment, the market is not great, you've also got no niche skills or experiences that anyone would bother with the hassle and cost. Get a job for a few years and work on it....either niches skills, or niche company knowledge.

As for looking for a job, just like any other job. Network, linkedin, craigslist, uni alumni etc.

ian-mstm Jan 30th 2011 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Deredas (Post 9139755)
Well currently I'm in college studying an ICT national diploma, and then i am going to university to study Ethical hacking and Information Security to gain my bachelors degree.

I can understand university for an IS degree, but if you want to study ethical hacking, I suggest EC-Council... it's the de facto standard in EH in the US.

I've looked into all the visas and routes, but there is always a catch to them.
By "catch"... do you mean eligibility requirements that you don't meet?

1. With that degree, how is the current demand for that area in America?
Demand is mediocre, at best, with a Bachelor's degree in InfoSec... it's much more lucrative with a Master's in InfoSec and CISSP qualifications.

You need to think of the US as a long-term goal... but in the short term, what about going to school in the US? Research the F-1 visa.

Ian

Deredas Jan 30th 2011 9:27 pm

Thanks Bob for your thoughts, yeah if only i could find a US female to marry :D.

With my University course Ian, it would give me a similar qualification as the EC-Council, but i shall take a look into that site :)

Yeah with the visa catch, i just found that you either have to be rich, have an amazing skill or have alot of work experiance in that area. I dont fit under any of those.

I was looking into American Universities last year, but the price of them are massive for foreign students, so im now stuck doing a degree in England.

I just dont know where to go, because i want to settle down in America after university. Does anyone know if there is a semi visa which would suit me?

Many thanks guys for the replies :)

dunroving Jan 30th 2011 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Deredas (Post 9140099)
Thanks Bob for your thoughts, yeah if only i could find a US female to marry :D.

With my University course Ian, it would give me a similar qualification as the EC-Council, but i shall take a look into that site :)

Yeah with the visa catch, i just found that you either have to be rich, have an amazing skill or have alot of work experiance in that area. I dont fit under any of those.

I was looking into American Universities last year, but the price of them are massive for foreign students, so im now stuck doing a degree in England.

I just dont know where to go, because i want to settle down in America after university. Does anyone know if there is a semi visa which would suit me?

Many thanks guys for the replies :)

If you can get a graduate teachinig assistantship, some universities will waive international and state tuition, plus pay a stipend for, typically, 13-20 hours of teaching-associated work per week (teaching, marking, etc.).

ian-mstm Jan 31st 2011 12:14 am

Okay... good. I only mentioned it because CEH is considered the gold standard in the US, and a "similar qualification" may not have the same impact! :)

I dont fit under any of those.
You don't fit under any of those... yet!

Does anyone know if there is a semi visa which would suit me?
Other than something like BUNAC, there isn't. As I suggested, getting to the US should be your long-term goal... there is no easy method.

Ian

tonrob Jan 31st 2011 12:17 am

Are you really that much of a minger? Can you at least do a bit of a Hugh Grant accent?

Deredas Jan 31st 2011 6:20 am

Thanks Ian :) im looking into the EC-Council, i may actually after univerity, try and do that. Yeah i know it's long term, but i'll be 25 when i leave university, feeling a bit old :( .

Are you really that much of a minger? Can you at least do a bit of a Hugh Grant accent?
Lol no im not, well i hope not haha. If only it was that easy :p

ian-mstm Jan 31st 2011 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Deredas (Post 9140906)
... i'll be 25 when i leave university, feeling a bit old :( .

I'm in my 50s... and started a PhD last year. You're just a young sprout! Perspective helps, eh?

Ian

Deredas Jan 31st 2011 6:40 pm

:D what are you taking your PhD in? Yeah it does help, 2 great ideas have come to my head now, im going to look into EC-Council and the teaching assistantship.

This may sound bad but, i look at some people being excepted into America and given a Visa, and i just cant believe that type of person can get in when a future University degree holder finds it like super hard hehe.

tonrob Jan 31st 2011 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Deredas (Post 9142032)
:D what are you taking your PhD in? Yeah it does help, 2 great ideas have come to my head now, im going to look into EC-Council and the teaching assistantship.

This may sound bad but, i look at some people being excepted into America and given a Visa, and i just cant believe that type of person can get in when a future University degree holder finds it like super hard hehe.

What kind of people do you see being "excepted into America" then?

Leslie Jan 31st 2011 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9142036)

Bunch of sprout eating farty derelicts as far as I can tell.

Of course, there's an acception to every rule. :)

Rete Jan 31st 2011 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 9142064)
Bunch of sprout eating farty derelicts as far as I can tell.

Of course, there's an acception to every rule. :)

At least they beget beautiful children ;)

Deredas Jan 31st 2011 7:21 pm

Well its a personal thought, but just people who i think arnt bringing anything into the country, i know they get in because they have family over there, just seems a bit strange.