British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I need help ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-need-help-159261/)

Cocolina Jun 13th 2003 10:05 pm

I need help !

Hello there ! It's my first time on the board and I have sooo many questions , maybe somebody can help ...I'll very much appreciate it .
Alright ...so I went to U.S. twice both times with a work&travel program...Last year I came back very, very late ...my last day of my 4 months working visa expired on Oct 10...I stayed almost a month longer ( like you know you have that month they always give it to you ) . So I had legal right to stay in the U.S till November 10..I left from there on Nov 8 and got the entry seal on Nov 9 ( I didn't get any interdiction ) . Now I applied for same type of visa - J1 and they have my passport in the Embassy like for 5 weeks - try to imagine the stress ! And things got really tight this year and many students were denied ..the reason being " possible immigrant " . They'll call u in for an interview and most of the students didn't even get the chance to say their names...Don't get me wrong here, I have a very positive attitude towards American people and Instutution..but how can they say just by seeing someone face that you are a possible immigrant ? And how can i actually make them listen to what I have to say if they'll put me the paper in front of my eyes saying that ? Do you think that the fact that I came back really late ( last min ) will affect me as to not to get my visa ? And will it work if I'll say I travelled ? I'm very confussed and stress..somebody help !

Thank you ,
Luci:confused:

mark19964 Jun 13th 2003 11:18 pm

Re: I need help !

Originally posted by Cocolina
Hello there ! It's my first time on the board and I have sooo many questions , maybe somebody can help ...I'll very much appreciate it .
Alright ...so I went to U.S. twice both times with a work&travel program...Last year I came back very, very late ...my last day of my 4 months working visa expired on Oct 10...I stayed almost a month longer ( like you know you have that month they always give it to you ) . So I had legal right to stay in the U.S till November 10..I left from there on Nov 8 and got the entry seal on Nov 9 ( I didn't get any interdiction ) . Now I applied for same type of visa - J1 and they have my passport in the Embassy like for 5 weeks - try to imagine the stress ! And things got really tight this year and many students were denied ..the reason being " possible immigrant " . They'll call u in for an interview and most of the students didn't even get the chance to say their names...Don't get me wrong here, I have a very positive attitude towards American people and Instutution..but how can they say just by seeing someone face that you are a possible immigrant ? And how can i actually make them listen to what I have to say if they'll put me the paper in front of my eyes saying that ? Do you think that the fact that I came back really late ( last min ) will affect me as to not to get my visa ? And will it work if I'll say I travelled ? I'm very confussed and stress..somebody help !

Thank you ,
Luci:confused:
Tough Luck comes to mind on this one,
That is if you get refused entry or no issue of visa. With 9/11 still in everyones mind stateside, Home security is not taking any chances with anyone at the moment. We've even had posts on here regarding canadian retirees being refused entry for the winter season in Florida.

All I can say is be yourself and dont loose your cool when interviewed. If your appliying for the same type of visa, take supporting documentation with you showing your intentions.

Good luck - Mark

Pulaski Jun 14th 2003 2:29 am

Re: I need help !

Originally posted by Cocolina
Alright ...so I went to U.S. twice both times with a work&travel program...Last year I came back very, very late ...my last day of my 4 months working visa expired on Oct 10...I stayed almost a month longer ( like you know you have that month they always give it to you ) . So I had legal right to stay in the U.S till November 10..I left from there on Nov 8 and got the entry seal on Nov 9 ( I didn't get any interdiction ) . .....
You knew the rules, you broke them, now you may pay the price. Welcome to the real world! :D

Cocolina Jun 14th 2003 8:37 am

Thank you both for your feedback.
Well, I didn't really break any law..I mean the J1 visa was for 4 months . During this period of time I could work . It's just that you have another month after the 4 months expire . So , in that one month the program I was in said that I can travel and enjoy myself...so it was a 4 + 1 months and I came back really late ...like at the end of the fifth month ...but still didn't go over it . But, who knows ..I might have problems because of that :o