British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I need a bath!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-need-bath-422138/)

tonrob Jan 28th 2007 8:34 pm

I need a bath!!!

No - I don't smell that bad, really... It's just that our bath has one of those stupid little lever thingies where the overflow is that toggles up and down to let the water out but it leaks water out of the bath when it shouldn't.

Already had a (useless) plumber round a few weeks ago, and today tried to fix the thing myself with the help of a Home Depot online article - all to no avail. :curse:

Do they have such things as proper plugholes and bathplugs over here and is it possible to install them yourself with no prior plumbing experience? I prefer just putting the plug in before having a bath and pulling it out again when I've finished - I mean, what's to go wrong?

Over to you. Do you have a bath with a proper plug in your home?

britvic Jan 28th 2007 8:44 pm

Re: I need a bath!!!

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 4335583)
No - I don't smell that bad, really... It's just that our bath has one of those stupid little lever thingies where the overflow is that toggles up and down to let the water out but it leaks water out of the bath when it shouldn't.

Already had a (useless) plumber round a few weeks ago, and today tried to fix the thing myself with the help of a Home Depot online article - all to no avail. :curse:

Do they have such things as proper plugholes and bathplugs over here and is it possible to install them yourself with no prior plumbing experience? I prefer just putting the plug in before having a bath and pulling it out again when I've finished - I mean, what's to go wrong?

Over to you. Do you have a bath with a proper plug in your home?

No sorry mate never seen a proper plug in any bathroom over here :frown: such a simple thing like that, can really get to you, as I see with you it already has, your not alone I'm sure.

Bob Jan 28th 2007 8:52 pm

you can get them in home depot, sears, lowes...even walmart has them, about $3 for a small sink plug, or $5 for a larger one...

gruffbrown Jan 28th 2007 8:54 pm

It's your pop-up Guv, I can fit you in in March, 300 bucks.

tonrob Jan 28th 2007 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4335631)
you can get them in home depot, sears, lowes...even walmart has them, about $3 for a small sink plug, or $5 for a larger one...

Really? Can you buy the proper plug-hole fixture too?

tonrob Jan 28th 2007 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown (Post 4335634)
It's your pop-up Guv, I can fit you in in March, 300 bucks.

Tell me about it... Bar stewards.

gruffbrown Jan 28th 2007 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 4335647)
Tell me about it... Bar stewards.

Is it the plug that's leaking, does it not go down properly? Or is the lever loose?

Bob Jan 28th 2007 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 4335645)
Really? Can you buy the proper plug-hole fixture too?

fixture? the plug just sits into the hole as is...but if your plug has a grate cover thingy, that just flips off....

Ray Jan 28th 2007 9:06 pm

How to .......
http://www.hometips.com/home_probsol...hps_tub01.html

tonrob Jan 28th 2007 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4335664)

Thanks Ray, but mine is slightly different to this. Where the water drains out it's just a kind of circular grate - and nothing that I could simply stick a bathplug into.

gsnichol Jan 28th 2007 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4335664)

Having read that it does seem like a sledgehammer to crack a nut... anyway my bath is so shallow the water would get out if I got in. They may as well have just installed a shower base.

Ray Jan 28th 2007 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 4335670)
Thanks Ray, but mine is slightly different to this. Where the water drains out it's just a kind of circular grate - and nothing that I could simply stick a bathplug into.

Show us a pic then ..search for bath pop up ..or bath drain ...

Ray Jan 28th 2007 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by gsnichol (Post 4335762)
Having read that it does seem like a sledgehammer to crack a nut... anyway my bath is so shallow the water would get out if I got in. They may as well have just installed a shower base.

Horrible.... ours is huge ..we both can use it at the same time ..

gsnichol Jan 28th 2007 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4335797)
Horrible.... ours is huge ..we both can use it at the same time ..

Called a swimming pool innit?... I prefer showers anyway... baths are a waste of water in these parts.

jumping doris Jan 28th 2007 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by gsnichol (Post 4335762)

The baths in our house are like glorified shower trays....they remind me of the footbaths at the local swimming pools.
I really miss my big,deep UK bath.
We are going to attemp to refit our main bathroom ourselves with a proper bath and there lies the road to madness or divorce.