Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I moved last month and I have still so many questions

I moved last month and I have still so many questions

Old Apr 15th 2021, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I moved last month and I have still so many questions

Originally Posted by Daymoth
Woops I forgot the most important question. I miss clotted cream, help me what do I do???
It is possible you are going to be disappointed. You can only get it in jars in the US, and my personal experience is it doesn't taste good. I'm from Cornwall and for me it's Roddas or nothing! I did a little research on the topic a while ago, clotted cream is made from unpasteurized milk, which something that is not really easily available in the US, so anyone making clotted cream is started from pasturized milk and as such it's never going to be the same, and the stuff in jars is just not great, in my opinion. I get my clotted cream fix when I go to the UK!
Old Apr 15th 2021, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute

This is incorrect, spousal visa does not require ead, thats fiance visa. I have everything, took 2 weeks to arrive to the mail.

​​​​​​Defenetly considering taking few months to make up for the no travel during the pandemic!
what visa number do you have?

Old Apr 15th 2021, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hutchison
what visa number do you have?
She (I’m assuming...) has already confirmed that she has a spousal visa so it’ll be an IR-1 or CR-1 depending on how long she was married on the day she arrived. Not that it matters because the visa becomes invalid upon arrival (it’s a single entry visa) and her status immediately changed to LPR. So, right now, she doesn’t have any visa. She’s a permanent resident.
Old Apr 15th 2021, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercury39
It is possible you are going to be disappointed. You can only get it in jars in the US, and my personal experience is it doesn't taste good. I'm from Cornwall and for me it's Roddas or nothing! I did a little research on the topic a while ago, clotted cream is made from unpasteurized milk, which something that is not really easily available in the US, so anyone making clotted cream is started from pasturized milk and as such it's never going to be the same, and the stuff in jars is just not great, in my opinion. I get my clotted cream fix when I go to the UK!
Make it at home from good quality cream. Chef John has a good “recipe” (although it’s more a one-line instruction than an actual recipe).
Old Apr 15th 2021, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steph0scope
She (I’m assuming...) has already confirmed that she has a spousal visa so it’ll be an IR-1 or CR-1 depending on how long she was married on the day she arrived. Not that it matters because the visa becomes invalid upon arrival (it’s a single entry visa) and her status immediately changed to LPR. So, right now, she doesn’t have any visa. She’s a permanent resident.
ok, no longer a visa holder then. makes sense
Old Apr 15th 2021, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

This is incorrect, spousal visa does not require ead, thats fiance visa. I have everything, took 2 weeks to arrive to the mail.

​​​​​​Defenetly considering taking few months to make up for the no travel during the pandemic!
apologies I misread the spouse part as a non-immigrant type visa.
Old Apr 15th 2021, 4:44 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

So I understand I need to do a tax return at the end, the complicated part for me is how I do tax payments before that ( if I need to do them) if I am not self employed.
yes but you need to keep good records, e.g. you may get a refund in the UK if you stop working for a UK employer mid year, you may already have claimed that tax as a credit on US taxes, so if you then get a refund you have to declare that again on your next US tax return because taxes are generally done on a cash basis.

Is the state you live in one with its own income tax, that will have the biggest impact on what you end up paying.
Old Apr 15th 2021, 5:03 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Do you use the same process as if you were self imployed? Or how do you go about it?

Thankyou!
The process to pay quarterly estimated taxes is the same for those who need to do so. I pay mine online. All details are on the IRS web site. Fortunately I get the same money each month, so set it up so the IRS take the amount I specify directly from my bank account each quarter. If you get differing amounts each quarter you would need to estimate the amount of Federal tax due for each quarter. My State has income tax, so I pay that the same way, through their online system.

Last edited by lansbury; Apr 15th 2021 at 5:05 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2021, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I also get 10 days and 2 sick days - that is just how it is here
Old Apr 15th 2021, 6:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I was not clear, my question is:
Do I need to report to IRS in installments (monthly, quarterly) to avoid getting fined even if im not self employed since my employer will not be making monthly payments to the IRS. And if yes, what is the best way to do it if im not self employed.

Ta!
No, you don't need to make monthly or quarterly payments to IRS. Even if you did get hit with a penalty, it's so low that it won't really affect you. My self employed husband never paid in quarterly, and the penalty was never more than a few dollars.

Rene
Old Apr 15th 2021, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Daymoth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
The process to pay quarterly estimated taxes is the same for those who need to do so. I pay mine online. All details are on the IRS web site. Fortunately I get the same money each month, so set it up so the IRS take the amount I specify directly from my bank account each quarter. If you get differing amounts each quarter you would need to estimate the amount of Federal tax due for each quarter. My State has income tax, so I pay that the same way, through their online system.
Thanks a lot for this, very useful
Old Apr 15th 2021, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Daymoth is an unknown quantity at this point

Make it at home from good quality cream. Chef John has a good “recipe” (although it’s more a one-line instruction than an actual recipe).
Guess i have a plan for sunday!! Thankyou
Old Apr 16th 2021, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

The main problem is US cream has a lot less butterfat than English cream - even "heavy cream" is no match for "Double".
We can get unpasteurised milk where we live, but not, for some reason, cream.
Old Apr 16th 2021, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicola1234
I also get 10 days and 2 sick days - that is just how it is here
I get 10 days, statutory holidays - and 200 hours of sick time. A lot of new jobs I am looking at are offering more.
Old Apr 16th 2021, 10:41 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I'm at 17 days PTO + paid 'bank' holidays.

That's after 8.5 years of service with my current employer.

I max out at 20 days after 10 years. I feel that that's pretty generous for the US, and GA specifically. 'At Will' states are just not the place for workers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.