Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I made it! I'm a citizen!

I made it! I'm a citizen!

Old Mar 2nd 2018, 7:40 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Default I made it! I'm a citizen!

I can't believe it finally happened. I had my oath ceremony yesterday and am now an American citizen. It's been a long road...I started this journey in 2001 and I can finally relax now I've seen it through to its conclusion. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders knowing I'll never have to deal with this again. It's been nerve wracking so I can't imagine how it must be for those who only have temporary visas or legal issues.

I had the oath ceremony in Hartford, CT and there were 52 participants and their families. The ceremony was very moving and I felt like I was doing just fine and being quite stoical until I started saying the oath....and then I thought I was going to lose it. Luckily I held it together and my voice only wavered for a second. My wife was with me and we went for a fabulous lunch afterwards to celebrate. Knowing we can now never be separated by outside forces gives me a huge sense of relief. Thankfully, the weather was absolutely gorgeous and the storm was postponed to today (I have friends in high places ). It was a perfect day!

Thank you all once again for the support and advice over the years. This place and all the people in it have been a great resource and a place to turn to when things were difficult. I'll still be checking in from time to time.

Now....I have to apply for a passport!

Old Mar 2nd 2018, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I made it! I'm a citizen!

Yay congratulations! I'm still rankled that I didn't get a miniature American flag at my oath ceremony though. We didn't even sing anything.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 8:24 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Yay congratulations! I'm still rankled that I didn't get a miniature American flag at my oath ceremony though. We didn't even sing anything.
Well that's a bummer! We got a flag but we didn't do any singing (fortunately).
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 8:27 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely photos—big congratulations to you! So glad it is all over (bar the celebration, which I trust will continue all weekend). Yes, it is pretty crummy on the roads today, so your timing was impeccable. We are trying to persuade the dogs not to go under the trees, as limbs keep crashing down in the gale.

PS No flags at my ceremony, either.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 8:35 pm
Rock Goddess

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Lovely photos—big congratulations to you! So glad it is all over (bar the celebration, which I trust will continue all weekend). Yes, it is pretty crummy on the roads today, so your timing was impeccable. We are trying to persuade the dogs not to go under the trees, as limbs keep crashing down in the gale.

PS No flags at my ceremony, either.
What? No flags for you either? Did you have your ceremony in Hartford too? I was counting on the fact they'd have them actually.

Yes the storm is bloody awful. I left work an hour early to avoid the rush on I-84 and to beat the snow. I'm hoping we won't lose power but if we do we have wood and alcohol and we'll hunker down. I'm so grateful the weather didn't interfere with yesterday, even though Channel 3 initially said it would start yesterday. It would have put a damper on the day. Stay safe up there!
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 8:51 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. Now buy a gun.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 8:53 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
What? No flags for you either? Did you have your ceremony in Hartford too? I was counting on the fact they'd have them actually.

Yes the storm is bloody awful. I left work an hour early to avoid the rush on I-84 and to beat the snow. I'm hoping we won't lose power but if we do we have wood and alcohol and we'll hunker down. I'm so grateful the weather didn't interfere with yesterday, even though Channel 3 initially said it would start yesterday. It would have put a damper on the day. Stay safe up there!
Mine was in New Haven. Danbury would have been my “local,” but they were done for the year, so rather than wait I opted to go to NH. Yes, we have our fingers crossed on the power, too. There have been a few flickers so far, so the candles are ready and the flashlights out. And the wine ready on the counter! Stay safe and cozy.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 9:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
You went to federal court in Foley Square, right? Jim didn't get a flag nor sing. Not even a Presidential welcome.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 9:06 pm
Rock Goddess

Originally Posted by Rete
You went to federal court in Foley Square, right? Jim didn't get a flag nor sing. Not even a Presidential welcome.
No it was in Main St, Hartford. I think a flag should be mandatory!
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 9:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yahoo! Congratulations, Rockgurl. Here have a glass of bubbly. The cake will be out shortly. Do we serve it before or after The Great Cake Eater gets here?

BTW the picture of the two is a keeper.
Attached Thumbnails I made it! I'm a citizen!-images.jpg  

Last edited by Rete; Mar 2nd 2018 at 9:11 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 9:10 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
No it was in Main St, Hartford. I think a flag should be mandatory!
Sorry, Luv, that was directed at rpjs who lives in lower Westchester county, NY

I think a flag should be mandatory as well.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 9:18 pm
Rock Goddess

Originally Posted by Rete
Yahoo! Congratulations, Rockgurl. Here have a glass of bubbly. The cake will be out shortly. Do we serve it before or after The Great Cake Eater gets here?

BTW the picture of the two is a keeper.
Ha! Thank you. Cake waits for no one! Bring it!
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Rock2089 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to all this my first post. I am planning to come inUK for job and want to know how tough it what is the process to get passport in Uk.

Thanks awaiting for reply.

TIA
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 10:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rock2089
Hi to all this my first post. I am planning to come inUK for job and want to know how tough it what is the process to get passport in Uk.

Thanks awaiting for reply.

TIA
Hi, welcome to BE.

You’ve posted on a thread in our US forums about US citizenship but seem to be asking about the UK?

Do you already have a job and a visa for the UK? Are you married to a UK citizen?

If you can clarify then one of us can move your post to the right place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.