British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I made it (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-made-737039/)

thephionex Oct 27th 2011 11:45 am

I made it

Well on day number 2 now. just thought i would update you on how i was doing.

After an 8hr flight MAN-ORD i got to go through the short line. Only to be greeted by a complete asshole, He was new and obviously thought he was GOD. i was with him for about 10 mins cause he had to keep asking other CBP officers what to do. then i had to pick up the bags and the dog, then get the dog cleared by CDC 1 min exactly. Then off to secondary to meet another asshole got there at 13:45 left there at 14:35. a quick fingerprint then off you go. It must have been asshole day at O'hare on Tuesday

But i am here safe dog and wife in tow this forum was so helpful for me on my journey

SultanOfSwing Oct 27th 2011 9:11 pm

Re: I made it

Originally Posted by thephionex (Post 9699126)

After an 8hr flight MAN-ORD i got to go through the short line. Only to be greeted by a complete asshole, He was new and obviously thought he was GOD. i was with him for about 10 mins cause he had to keep asking other CBP officers what to do. then i had to pick up the bags and the dog, then get the dog cleared by CDC 1 min exactly. Then off to secondary to meet another asshole got there at 13:45 left there at 14:35. a quick fingerprint then off you go. It must have been asshole day at O'hare on Tuesday

But i am here safe dog and wife in tow this forum was so helpful for me on my journey

Every day is arsehole day at O'Hare. You'll get used to it :lol:

Brat1 Oct 27th 2011 9:15 pm

Glad you've made it safe and sound - relax and enjoy :thumbsup:

thephionex Oct 27th 2011 9:31 pm

just went to the social security office today and guess what immigration at o'hare messed up my name so now a delay getting a social security number just great

sir_eccles Oct 27th 2011 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by thephionex (Post 9700154)
just went to the social security office today and guess what immigration at o'hare messed up my name so now a delay getting a social security number just great

Just a small comment. We all know how frustrating bureaucracy can be, the officers at the desk hold all the cards and are puffed up with their little bit of power.

Just chill, relax and count to ten. If they ask you to do something just do it. If they ask you to jump, politely ask how high. Go with the flow rather than against it. Save the muttering under the breath. Getting angry or confrontational never helps. Things usually work out in the end.

lansbury Oct 27th 2011 10:48 pm

yep there's always a way of getting the last laugh - a retired asshole :thumbsup:

Noorah101 Oct 28th 2011 8:51 am

You went to SS on your second day in the USA? Normally it takes about 10 days for your name to get in the SAVE system that SS uses to verify your status in the USA. I'm surprised you were even in the system on Day 2.

Hope it works out soon for you.

Rene

thephionex Oct 28th 2011 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 9700793)
You went to SS on your second day in the USA? Normally it takes about 10 days for your name to get in the SAVE system that SS uses to verify your status in the USA. I'm surprised you were even in the system on Day 2.

Hope it works out soon for you.

Rene

well i thought the same but the guy at O'hare said i could go the day after i was just to busy. and they had all my details already. it was just wrong

BritishGuy36 Oct 28th 2011 5:24 pm

After an 8hr flight MAN-ORD i got to go through the short line. Only to be greeted by a complete asshole, He was new and obviously thought he was GOD ..... Then off to secondary to meet another asshole

Welcome to america.

It must have been asshole day at O'hare on Tuesday

All immigration officers at major airports and border crossings are on a massive power trip - all day, every day. You get used to it.

I walked back from Canada to the US at Niagara Falls recently, it's like you're on trial for murder the way they grill you.

Anian Oct 28th 2011 6:23 pm

The guy who processed me took several long and slow walks to get stuff, making the process a lot longer than it needed to be. It seemed like he just couldn't be bothered to be a complete dick. I was too tired to be bothered by it though, and the well-behaved infant in my arms probably stopped him from being too grumpy.

ljaw2002uk Oct 29th 2011 2:28 am

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 9701536)
Welcome to america.
All immigration officers at major airports and border crossings are on a massive power trip - all day, every day. You get used to it.

My POE was MSP (one of the busiest airports in the US), my immigration officer was really pleasant and I was processed and on my way in minutes. They aren't all bad!

thephionex Oct 29th 2011 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk (Post 9702183)
my immigration officer was really pleasant and I was processed and on my way in minutes

although i was not at secondary as long as i thought the CBP officer could have been nicer

docholywood Nov 1st 2011 10:16 am

Well done for keeping your head -I know it can be tough especially after a long flight and all the stress with pets kids etc. I was like "yes sir no sir three bags full sir" to everything at immigration after a 14 hour flight with no sleep but let rip at the rude woman at the hire desk!!

So when you picked up you dog before 'secondary' what is secondary? Is it always the way that you do immigration, get your dog then what happens?

Did you get the rabies jag for your dog? It's not a pre requisite for California if you are from a rabies free country but I'm doing it anyway just incase I get some idiot at the other end who wants to deport my dog!

thephionex Nov 1st 2011 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by docholywood (Post 9708015)
So when you picked up you dog before 'secondary' what is secondary? Is it always the way that you do immigration, get your dog then what happens?

Did you get the rabies jag for your dog? It's not a pre requisite for California if you are from a rabies free country but I'm doing it anyway just incase I get some idiot at the other end who wants to deport my dog!

secondary inspection - Where you go to get all you details checked and verified.

yes we got the rabies JAB before we traveled as the airline required it. I know England is a rabies free country but you can not put your animal on a flight to the USA without it. We had to make sure her jabs where up to date.

you have to get all your baggage and the dog before you go to secondary as once you are processed they let you through. so best to have everything with you at the time.

Octang Frye Nov 1st 2011 9:26 pm

Asshats at O'Hare tried to fry my testicles in the back-scatter x-ray machine. I said no-no, am I going to have to choke a btich?
Then man come and felt testicles, which made me a bit teste. But I took a stand for FreedOM!

Wished him and his family cancer.