Reload this Page >

I Love Nurses

I Love Nurses

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

dylan&helen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I Love Nurses

Hi guys,

I think most of you know (my new ex-pat friends) I am coming to the USA on an E2 visa, to buy and start a business.

My wife would love to study for a criminal psychology degree, she is a very bright person (loads of top grade A-levels) and I am sure she would be 100% capable of doing well with it.

She is only 23, so i think she is young enough to start something like this.

My only reservation, is this,

does education cost a fortune? (I am really struggling to find answers on the net)

and, I am trying to convince her that "nursing" would be a great thing to study (she does show plenty of interest with this too – although criminal psychology has always been her first choice)

I just noticed there seems to be a few people in “nursing� on this site, and I would love to know what you/they think.

Thank you

DYLAN
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 6:31 pm
Under Achiever

dudleydowg is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife was a clinical psychologist in the US before I met her, when she moved over here and married me she spent 6 months trying to find a job in this field without any success, so she retrained to become a nurse which she graduates in May, Nursing has given her a different outlook on life than she had before and is totally commited to it, it also gives her better career advancement in the US.
So good luck to your wife for the future, but psychology degrees are ten a penny and finding a career in this field can be difficult.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

As you're coming in on E visa, you will have to pay 'out of State' fees at any university- which in real terms costs 4 times the price USC's and PR's pay. Yes its very expensive. She would have no trouble getting into UNi and would probably find the work very easy if she's done A levels, but it will cost big bucks.
The best thing to do is find out the local university and give the foreign student counsellor a call- to find out the up to date details.

Ask about nursing programmes and waiting lists too, because where I live there has been a 3 year waiting list for the nursing programme at our local college for the last 8 years.

Last edited by Taffyles; Dec 3rd 2003 at 6:40 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

IMO your wife should do whatever she will be most happy doing however if I was looking for real security I would go for a career in nursing... she will never be without a job thats for sure.

ash
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by dudleydowg
My wife was a clinical psychologist in the US before I met her, when she moved over here and married me she spent 6 months trying to find a job in this field without any success, so she retrained to become a nurse which she graduates in May, Nursing has given her a different outlook on life than she had before and is totally commited to it, it also gives her better career advancement in the US.
So good luck to your wife for the future, but psychology degrees are ten a penny and finding a career in this field can be difficult.
thank you for that, and
finding a career in this field can be difficult
thats exactly what I said.

I AM SO SILLY

I forgot to ask my main question…

As I don’t have a degree myself, I would find it very difficult to find a job, im sure. And being in business myself for around 8 years, I would personally want to work for myself.

The only obvious thing to do is a buy a business (has to be worth at least $100,000 etc etc). this is something I would prefer not to do if could get around it.

I have spoke to visa attourneys, lawyers, business brokers, Lesley sillitto www.investorvisausa.com, and I have e-mailed the American embassy in London to ask this one question “if I bought a business and moved to the US, can I start another from scratch� the reply was a YES, no problems.

So, my question is…

If my wife came to study (lets say nursing), can I come with her?

And could I work / start a business myself rather than sit and wait for her to finish her course? (this is a tottaly different avenue from the one I have been going down – but would really suit me – I wouldn’t need to buy something, someone is selling – and I would still be investing “whatever� amount into the country)

DYLAN
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 6:55 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dylan&helen
<<snip>>

As I don’t have a degree myself, I would find it very difficult to find a job, im sure. And being in business myself for around 8 years, I would personally want to work for myself.

The only obvious thing to do is a buy a business (has to be worth at least $100,000 etc etc). this is something I would prefer not to do if could get around it.

I have spoke to visa attourneys, lawyers, business brokers, Lesley sillitto www.investorvisausa.com, and I have e-mailed the American embassy in London to ask this one question “if I bought a business and moved to the US, can I start another from scratch� the reply was a YES, no problems.

So, my question is…

If my wife came to study (lets say nursing), can I come with her?

And could I work / start a business myself rather than sit and wait for her to finish her course? (this is a tottaly different avenue from the one I have been going down – but would really suit me – I wouldn’t need to buy something, someone is selling – and I would still be investing “whatever� amount into the country)

DYLAN
You'd be better off posting just your question on the US Immigration forum. That's a more appropriate place really.

NC Penguin
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Taffyles
As you're coming in on E visa, you will have to pay 'out of State' fees at any university- which in real terms costs 4 times the price USC's and PR's pay. Yes its very expensive. She would have no trouble getting into UNi and would probably find the work very easy if she's done A levels, but it will cost big bucks.
The best thing to do is find out the local university and give the foreign student counsellor a call- to find out the up to date details.

Ask about nursing programmes and waiting lists too, because where I live there has been a 3 year waiting list for the nursing programme at our local college for the last 8 years.

Thank you, Taffyles.

What do you think about my second question? (This could possibly mean we come on a student visa) would that make a difference?

And, I never even thought of a waiting list, thanks for pointing it out.

Dylan
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Taffyles.

What do you think about my second question? (This could possibly mean we come on a student visa) would that make a difference?

Dylan
It wouldn't make a difference to the cost- you'll still have to pay the "out of State' tution fees- also on F1 student visa you would have to provide an affidavit of support showing you have the means to pay full tuition and living expenses for the four years of study.

I really have no idea if you could come in on your a spouse's student visa nowadays- you'd need to ask an expert or dig through the Immigration site. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to work though. Your wife would be able to work limited hours on campus with an F1 visa (low paid jobs and between 10-20 hrs a week only) and would have to stay enrolled full -time in college, i.e. a minimum of 12 credit hours a week (four courses per semester). This question would be answered better by people on the immigration/visa forum.

If its not a silly question, wouldn't it be easier, quicker (and definitely a whole lot cheaper) to study as a nurse in UK and then go through an agency and come in on a green card?
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:09 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Thank you, Taffyles.

Dylan
The immigration forum might be better for this one but here is my two pence. (As opposed to Bridgies tuppence!)

If your wife comes on a student visa you can accompany her but you have no right to work. So you would be unable to do any work of any sort as i understand it, even working for yourself. She would need the college to which she is admitted to act as her sponsor and she would need evidence of suffcient funding to meet all cost tuition and support for the first year of study (eg Harvard says their ave student requires $51,000 per annum, obviously thats Harvard, other state schools will be cheaper but note prices have been jumping at lots of state schools as a result of budget squeezes in state finance). Your wife can not work for the first year of her studies and after that only p/t 20 hours per week and she needs approval to work.

The out of state fees thing varies from place to place. You need to note that lots of educational establishments are private uni here they charge what they want and dont usually charge different for foreigners, Most of the top schools are private. Havard, Yale, Duke, Stanford etc the state schools will normally charge a state rate so eg U of Mississippi law school Miss Res approx $6,600, out of state $12,700 tuition per year. Even at state schools you would need to anticipate $4-8,000 for state students at around double for out of state so that probably $10,15,000 per annum in tuition alone. education here is not cheap.

Ok thats the bst i can offer based on my own experiences researching and applying for law school here.

The big thing to remember is that if your wife holds the visa you are only a spouse and have the freedom to do shit all. You will find it hard to even get a driving licence as you wont get a social security number. I would say if you can get a different sort of visa do that and have your wife come on that then on that visa she can still attend school or if needs be get a student visa for herself. one final warning i hear that the Dept Homeland Security are pretty slow at processing student visa's and some people have had problems getting their visa approved in time to start their studies even once they get a place at a school. (read this in harvard law school magazine about some HLS students who ended up stranded in Britain after spending their summer holidays there and finding their student visa's were cancelled)

hope this helps a bit,

Duncan

Last edited by Duncs; Dec 3rd 2003 at 9:12 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:45 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Duncs
The immigration forum might be better for this one but here is my two pence. (As opposed to Bridgies tuppence!)

Duncan
"Giggle!"

I'm a bit lost Dylan... (I know this happens more than everyone would like) but, here goes.

You are coming here to start a business right?

Why not do that, then when you have yourself sorted let your wife look around for a bit and find the course she would like to take.

The medical field is I'm sure extremely wide. She might find a class more suited to what she has already done... giving her advanced standing and already acrued credits.

Now, what kind of business and where, cos we've gpt a few blokes on here what could use a job like!

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Duncs

If your wife comes on a student visa you can accompany her but you have no right to work. So you would be unable to do any work of any sort as i understand it, even working for yourself. She would need the college to which she is admitted to act as her sponsor and she would need evidence of suffcient funding to meet all cost tuition and support for the first year of study (eg Harvard says their ave student requires $51,000 per annum, obviously thats Harvard, other state schools will be cheaper but note prices have been jumping at lots of state schools as a result of budget squeezes in state finance). Your wife can not work for the first year of her studies and after that only p/t 20 hours per week and she needs approval to work.

The out of state fees thing varies from place to place. You need to note that lots of educational establishments are private uni here they charge what they want and dont usually charge different for foreigners, Most of the top schools are private. Havard, Yale, Duke, Stanford etc the state schools will normally charge a state rate so eg U of Mississippi law school Miss Res approx $6,600, out of state $12,700 tuition per year. Even at state schools you would need to anticipate $4-8,000 for state students at around double for out of state so that probably $10,15,000 per annum in tuition alone. education here is not cheap.

Ok thats the bst i can offer based on my own experiences researching and applying for law school here.

The big thing to remember is that if your wife holds the visa you are only a spouse and have the freedom to do shit all. You will find it hard to even get a driving licence as you wont get a social security number. I would say if you can get a different sort of visa do that and have your wife come on that then on that visa she can still attend school or if needs be get a student visa for herself. one final warning i hear that the Dept Homeland Security are pretty slow at processing student visa's and some people have had problems getting their visa approved in time to start their studies even once they get a place at a school. (read this in harvard law school magazine about some HLS students who ended up stranded in Britain after spending their summer holidays there and finding their student visa's were cancelled)

hope this helps a bit,

Duncan
Thank you very much for that Duncs, very helpful.

Originally posted by BrigieDarling

I'm a bit lost Dylan... (I know this happens more than everyone would like) but, here goes.

You are coming here to start a business right?

Why not do that, then when you have yourself sorted let your wife look around for a bit and find the course she would like to take.

The medical field is I'm sure extremely wide. She might find a class more suited to what she has already done... giving her advanced standing and already acrued credits.

Now, what kind of business and where, cos we've gpt a few blokes on here what could use a job like!

I am not 100% sure yet Bridgie.

I have worked for myself for around 8 years now, and i have always started my own thing from scratch.

I fly out to Florida on Dec 16th for 5 weeks, to look around at businesses, houses, open a bamk account, talk to accountants, lawyers etc. I am sure i will be a little more focused after that.

At the moment I am waiting for someone to buy my house http://212.50.188.108/cgi-win/vebra..../JUBIL/19147/5 which is looking good.

And then obviously the hard part… getting it right.

From what I have found out, I don’t think it will take forever to get a visa (if approved)

In the eyes of the US Embassy, the biggest concern seems to be the history of the business and the profit it makes… obviously this is important to me, but more important is the future of it.

I knew a guy that bought a petrol station (sorry gas station) just outside Dallas, he did really well for about a year, and someone decided to build a major road running parallel to it… and anyone who wanted to use his “gas station� had to drive a mile past it, and then drive back. Needless to say, he did his brains in.

This might sound totally bizarre (and I have 100% wised up to the idea of not doing it)

I was very close to going to Australia (only for 1 year) to get my commercial pilots licence, and eventually buying a sea plane (plane would have cost me as much as buying a business) and setting up on the Gulf of Mexico (where I plan to live now) doing flying tours up down and around the coast.

Being a commercial pilot, it would take me 12 months to be qualified, and I would also be a qualified instructor. This would also be part of the business.

Like I said this idea is “not in my little brain� at the moment, but flying is my passion, and I have taken 5 flying lessons (private pilots licence) in England.

The reason I stopped is because it will cost me around $8,500 and around a quarter of that in America. So I hope to finish it off there.

When I get my PPL (private pilots licence) in Florida, I will come and take you, Todd and the kids for a loop de loop around your town.

Speak Friday Bridgie my darling (in the chat room – my first time)

Dylan
Old Dec 4th 2003, 3:08 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... If my wife came to study (lets say nursing), can I come with her?

And could I work / start a business myself rather than sit and wait for her to finish her course? ....
Yes, I believe that you could come with her, but, sorry, BUT (I believe) you'd be stuck on one of the class of visas for accompanying spouses that would not permit you to work, and would not even permit you to obtain a SSN.

I might be wrong but that is my understanding.

..... Of course the best advice would be to throw the question at either the US embassy or an immigration lawyer.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Pulaski
Yes, I believe that you could come with her, but, sorry, BUT (I believe) you'd be stuck on one of the class of visas for accompanying spouses that would not permit you to work, and would not even permit you to obtain a SSN.

I might be wrong but that is my understanding.

..... Of course the best advice would be to throw the question at either the US embassy or an immigration lawyer.
Thank you for that Pulaski (i have been on this site for months now, and i always read your name as Paulski - must have been a mental block.... sorry)

Someone sent me a PM with a link to this site http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/vocation.htm I think i found the answers there.

My decison will be to stick with what i am already doing, i just flew off on another tangent (worth a try).

Thanks

Dylan
Old Dec 4th 2003, 3:28 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pulaski
BUT

Hey look, you can see Pulaski's big BUT!