Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I love my bacon, but . . .

I love my bacon, but . . .

Old Nov 18th 2010, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Location: from Yorkshire, via Hampshire and Surrey to NC Triangle
mommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to all
Default Re: I love my bacon, but . . .

http://www.britishbacon.com/comersus...rsus_index.asp
You can get these around here, but he ships
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but I have to admit I hate the american bacon, always have, always will. I have resorted to treating myself every once in a while with bacon from the UK Gourmet Shop in Newtown, but really grudge their prices, but OMG, a british loaf, couple of link sausages, bacon and brown sauce - sorted. Oh and not forgetting the tattie scone - but like I said, couldn't afford to do it every week unfortunately!!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:18 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
Sorry, but I have to admit I hate the american bacon, always have, always will. I have resorted to treating myself every once in a while with bacon from the UK Gourmet Shop in Newtown, but really grudge their prices, but OMG, a british loaf, couple of link sausages, bacon and brown sauce - sorted. Oh and not forgetting the tattie scone - but like I said, couldn't afford to do it every week unfortunately!!
I'm the same. I tried to like it and I'll even force it down so as not to offend the mrs after she's made me some at breakfast but sometimes I really just can't stomach it

Give me an Ulster Fry any day
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'm the same. I tried to like it and I'll even force it down so as not to offend the mrs after she's made me some at breakfast but sometimes I really just can't stomach it

Give me an Ulster Fry any day
There's just not enough meat on it, its fat with a wee bit of meat. That's not right, bacon should be bacon, meat with a bit of fat round the outside and at the tail of it, and it needs to be smoked!!! Now I do like the maple smoked flavour if only they would cut the bacon like back home. Maybe we should write to someone !!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

There's just not enough meat on it, its fat with a wee bit of meat. That's not right, bacon should be bacon, meat with a bit of fat round the outside and at the tail of it, and it needs to be smoked!!! Now I do like the maple smoked flavour if only they would cut the bacon like back home. Maybe we should write to someone !!!!!!!!!
Yes - bacon should look like a map of South America. The just give you Chile out here

Of course, it is the same animal and all that, so the cut is there. All the UK style bacon (marketed as Irish bacon) I have found here is all produced in Chicago so I know it can be done, but the cost tends to be prohibitive I suppose.

Still not the same without soda farls and tatie bread though. I'm never done moaning am I
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes - bacon should look like a map of South America. The just give you Chile out here

Of course, it is the same animal and all that, so the cut is there. All the UK style bacon (marketed as Irish bacon) I have found here is all produced in Chicago so I know it can be done, but the cost tends to be prohibitive I suppose.

Still not the same without soda farls and tatie bread though. I'm never done moaning am I
No but we wouldn't be happy if we weren't moaning would we
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:30 pm
I have a comma problem

No but we wouldn't be happy if we weren't moaning would we
This, of course is true.

I introduced my American stepson to the Ulster Fry in Aldergrove airport while waiting for a flight to Edinburgh on his first trip to Blighty. He saw the delights on the plate and I think he just about wet himself. That was a convert to good old British bacon and bangers right there and then!

I made him bacon butties with HP from the stuff I found here, and a good old plate of bangers and mash and he loved them both. I'll make a Brit out of him yet
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

This, of course is true.

I introduced my American stepson to the Ulster Fry in Aldergrove airport while waiting for a flight to Edinburgh on his first trip to Blighty. He saw the delights on the plate and I think he just about wet himself. That was a convert to good old British bacon and bangers right there and then!

I made him bacon butties with HP from the stuff I found here, and a good old plate of bangers and mash and he loved them both. I'll make a Brit out of him yet
It's amazing how we miss the silly things like this. I suppose we take for granted what we can get at any time we like, but it's a different story when you can't get it. We're never satisfied. And my neighbours loved the square sausage that my friend brought over in the summer when she visited (don't ask!! I couldn't believe it when she opened her case and the 6 packs of sausages fell out)
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:38 pm
I have a comma problem

It's amazing how we miss the silly things like this. I suppose we take for granted what we can get at any time we like, but it's a different story when you can't get it. We're never satisfied. And my neighbours loved the square sausage that my friend brought over in the summer when she visited (don't ask!! I couldn't believe it when she opened her case and the 6 packs of sausages fell out)
How did she manage to get sausages through customs?? Usually when my mum comes out I just have her bring Dairy Milks and crisps. She surprised me with 2 boxes of York Fruits as well this year

I think I was finished with the lot before she went home though. I have no willpower when it comes to those 200g Dairy Milk bars . . .
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:00 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

This, of course is true.

The first time I took (the then future) Mrs Z to Blighty, I had been talking about how much I was looking forward to eating some real bacon. She was all "it's just bacon". Then she had her first bacon buttie and was an instant convert.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:02 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by zargof
The first time I took (the then future) Mrs Z to Blighty, I had been talking about how much I was looking forward to eating some real bacon. She was all "it's just bacon". Then she had her first bacon buttie and was an instant convert.
No-one can muster the will to turn down a UK bacon buttie. Those things'll convert vegans, they will!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

No-one can muster the will to turn down a UK bacon buttie. Those things'll convert vegans, they will!
My husband was a vegetarian when I met him and he mentioned how he missed bacon butties so I made bacon butties every lunchtime until he caved in. He's been a carnivore ever since
Personally if I never ate bacon again it wouldn't bother me (think I OD'd on them at the start of our relationship) but then I can't think of a single thing I miss from the UK.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:29 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
My husband was a vegetarian when I met him and he mentioned how he missed bacon butties so I made bacon butties every lunchtime until he caved in. He's been a carnivore ever since
Personally if I never ate bacon again it wouldn't bother me (think I OD'd on them at the start of our relationship) but then I can't think of a single thing I miss from the UK.
And thus proving my point.

I wonder what your secret is though, I miss everything from the UK.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

And thus proving my point.

I wonder what your secret is though, I miss everything from the UK.
My secret is that I wanted to come and live in WA from my very first trip here. Long before I knew about visas it was along held dream that "if we won the lottery..."
I could rattle off a list as long as your arm of all the things I can't stand about the UK and maybe 1 or 2 things I do like (if I think really hard but I'm sure one of those things is Belgian and the other Swedish). I am not particularly close to my family and I have the internet if I want to speak to friends. I've never lived very long in one place so have no roots.
I really wanted to come and live here so am embracing it 100%. I missed Oxo cubes and gravy granules for the first few weeks but only because I'd been cooking with them for years. I've now got substitutes or I cook something else.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:46 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
My secret is that I wanted to come and live in WA from my very first trip here. Long before I knew about visas it was along held dream that "if we won the lottery..."
I could rattle off a list as long as your arm of all the things I can't stand about the UK and maybe 1 or 2 things I do like (if I think really hard but I'm sure one of those things is Belgian and the other Swedish). I am not particularly close to my family and I have the internet if I want to speak to friends. I've never lived very long in one place so have no roots.
I really wanted to come and live here so am embracing it 100%. I missed Oxo cubes and gravy granules for the first few weeks but only because I'd been cooking with them for years. I've now got substitutes or I cook something else.
Ah, I'm only here because I married a Yank, I never had any ambition to leave the UK really. Might have left NI for Edinburgh or London but that's hardly the same! Therein lies the difference with a dream move vs one borne out of necessity but hey ho.

Anyway, veering way OT now. Now I come to think of it, isn't the bacon I miss so much really Danish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.