Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I like drinking in my car

I like drinking in my car

Old Dec 1st 2003, 12:46 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default I like drinking in my car

My neighbor got stopped and arrested for DUI about 3 months ago, he could hardly walk he was so drunk. But they did not take away his license just put him on probation and told him he couldn't drive between midnight and 7 am.

He got pulled over again this weekend and has now had his license revoked which reconfirms my hope in America! I was appauled that this guy could carry on driving after being stopped DUI as it was no incentive to others not to drink and drive.

FYI, he got pulled over for not having up to date tags, this broke the rules of his probation, and just so people don't think the police where picking on him it was in another town under another police departments jurisdiction.

Thank god for common sense.

Patrick
Old Dec 1st 2003, 12:52 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

I'd like to see a nice big sticker on the car of people that have had a recent DUI!

For a period of about 6 months it could warn those of us traveling on innocent journeys with our children in the car to avoid them!

An aquaintance of my neighbour actually hit a cop car the first time she got DUI... She's still driving drunk today!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 5:57 pm

Indeed! A car is a deadly weapon!

IMO... if you take the chance of killing someone you forfeit your rights and should be publicly humiliated!

Whine all you want about it too.... Cos if you have actually killed someone you don't deserve to complain... you turned the key!

Big flippin sticker... That's what we need!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 6:18 pm

Originally posted by Polaris_x
How about a tattoo as well, right on the head? This way, everyone at the bar would know as well. Maybe it would prevent the need for the bumper sticker.

Oh wait, let's not get onto the bumper sticker discussion again...hehehe

Took you a while to catch that didn't it my friend? ô¿~

Yeah a tattoo would work! Like a wrist band at a concert!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

What are the laws regarding drinking and driving here? We went out with friends last week, all of whom were drinking, we were the only ones who had decided one of us would not drink in order to be ok to drive.

One of them was a lawyer, I kind of assumed she would be more wary of drinking and driving but it just doesn't seem to be the case.

We have noticed a general lack of being bothered about how much you drink before you drive here. I just wondered what the actual law was. Do they have an alcohol level above which you get a court date etc?
Old Dec 1st 2003, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by snorkmaiden
What are the laws regarding drinking and driving here? We went out with friends last week, all of whom were drinking, we were the only ones who had decided one of us would not drink in order to be ok to drive.

One of them was a lawyer, I kind of assumed she would be more wary of drinking and driving but it just doesn't seem to be the case.

We have noticed a general lack of being bothered about how much you drink before you drive here. I just wondered what the actual law was. Do they have an alcohol level above which you get a court date etc?
Here in Ohio they lowered the level from 0.1 to 0.08 and in the paper they said a 175 lb man could drink 6 beers on an empty stomach and still be under the limit. But what I can see here in Columbus is six beers is the minimum and anything over that is fine to drive with too!! People just don't seem to be bothered about it at all, just keep drinking and get in the car, no problem!!!
I found it unsettling at first but you soon get used to it, it's just different over here to home that is all. Now go on, have another!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 1:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
Here in Ohio they lowered the level from 0.1 to 0.08 and in the paper they said a 175 lb man could drink 6 beers on an empty stomach and still be under the limit. ....
I think that the ".08" is the same as the "80mg" in the UK, and what the newspaper said confirms what I always suspected about the "two drinks" advice in the UK - it's a considerable under-estimate of what would keep you on the right side of the law.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I know what I would like to do with drink drivers in any country. Having said that though drink drivers are not the only problem on the US roads mobile/cell phone users are also a major pain in the arse... I would like to see a ban on that too.

ash
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 7:10 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Not surprising, they have drive through off licences here for fock sakes
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 12:56 pm

Originally posted by Polaris_x
Yep...hehehe. Just so long as the bumper sticker doesn't have that damn "cross thingie" on it, right?...LOL

Well, as long as it's not English or British!