Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I have no idea what to do - need help

I have no idea what to do - need help

Old Aug 12th 2014, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

EvilTeddy9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have no idea what to do - need help

So I want to live in america, and i can have a place to live, because my girlfriend lives there so i could just move in with her. but other than that i have no idea what to do. can people please help?
Old Aug 12th 2014, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have no idea what to do - need help

Get married or find another way on reading this.

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
Old Aug 12th 2014, 7:33 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Based on the lack of information provided, plus the style of writing, I'm going to make a massive leap and suggest that work visas are not open to you.

Based on that you have a single option to live and work in the US - get married. I'm afraid there is no 'try it out with the girlfriend' visa.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 8:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvilTeddy9
.... my girlfriend lives there so i could just move in with her. ......
No, you couldn't. That would make you an illegal immigrant, which is an ugly situation to get into. You would join an underground economy with few ways out, limited work potential, reliant on employers willing to pay you in cash and flout US employment and tax laws themselves . You would have little/no access to any government programs, including social security/ disability, in the event that you were injured at work, and a drivers license, and therefore to car insurance, leaving you exposed to financial ruin, jail, deportation, and a ban from returning to the US for a period of years, or for life.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If his Girlfriend is in Colorado he could get a Drivers License. And car insurance.

And coke is legal.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 9:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
..... And coke is legal.
What about Pepsi?
Old Aug 12th 2014, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Here in ATL I'm fairly certain pepsi (and related products) are not legal

Lx
Old Aug 13th 2014, 2:08 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvilTeddy9
So I want to live in america, and i can have a place to live, because my girlfriend lives there so i could just move in with her. but other than that i have no idea what to do. can people please help?
What does your girlfriend think of this plan? If she is a US citizen, she might consider marrying you, in which case you would have a couple of visa options.

When this happened to me, I googled, and found this site, then I browsed the threads here, and followed links provided by helpful members for a long time, and hopefully asked some slightly informed questions along the way.

That was 10 years ago, and it worked, I am now a US citizen, living in Florida. Give it a try.