Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

i have my green card, just need the greenlight!

i have my green card, just need the greenlight!

Old Apr 13th 2009, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

artisanvip is an unknown quantity at this point
Default i have my green card, just need the greenlight!

I'm just looking for some reassurance...I'm 23, I will be moving out to Florida (my parents emmigrated to Stuart in June 2008, we've been going to the area as a family for as long as I can remember.) once my horse is sold and things are completely wound up over here. I have a degree and an interest in marketing and PR. I want to make the break from my parents (i've always been quite independant but a bit of a homebird). I know I don't want to end up living with my parents in Stuart, i'm still not quite sure where I do want to be though. I really love music anything from electro to Britpop so to find somewhere with decent venues would be good.

Any recommendations/advice for me? I'm wibbling quite a lot at the moment at the thought of leaving behind my little life here, although, that said, I am more excited and curious at the prospect of starting afresh with lots of new opportunities...

I guess I just know how hard won that little card was and I want to make every single second count
Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i have my green card, just need the greenlight!

Originally Posted by artisanvip
I'm just looking for some reassurance...I'm 23, I will be moving out to Florida (my parents emmigrated to Stuart in June 2008, we've been going to the area as a family for as long as I can remember.) once my horse is sold and things are completely wound up over here. I have a degree and an interest in marketing and PR. I want to make the break from my parents (i've always been quite independant but a bit of a homebird). I know I don't want to end up living with my parents in Stuart, i'm still not quite sure where I do want to be though. I really love music anything from electro to Britpop so to find somewhere with decent venues would be good.

Any recommendations/advice for me? I'm wibbling quite a lot at the moment at the thought of leaving behind my little life here, although, that said, I am more excited and curious at the prospect of starting afresh with lots of new opportunities...

I guess I just know how hard won that little card was and I want to make every single second count

Try googling Chicago, Illinois...
Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

a friend is actually teaching at a British School of America in Chicago, i think i need to pick his brains a little.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Marketing and PR is taking a hit right now, but there's a few jobs going in that area in Boston, also NY...

Also note, marketing and PR also falls under door to door sales over here too, so double check what the job is actually about from the advert
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by artisanvip
I'm just looking for some reassurance...I'm 23, I will be moving out to Florida (my parents emmigrated to Stuart in June 2008, we've been going to the area as a family for as long as I can remember.) once my horse is sold and things are completely wound up over here. I have a degree and an interest in marketing and PR.
Are you saying you got an immigrant visa alongside your parents? If so, how long have you stayed outside the United States and did you apply for a re-entry permit?
Old Apr 14th 2009, 7:18 am
Just Joined

I have a re-entry permit, it expires August 2010. mother is super duper organised with everything

and thank you for the note about door to door, i will watch i don't get caught out.