Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I have free reign, where should I go?

I have free reign, where should I go?

Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:17 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I have free reign, where should I go?

I suppose its all subjective. It depends on your definition of liberal.

open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values
or
favorable to or respectful of individual rights and freedoms

come on ABY, you should know were I am steering with this thread by now

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You don't think SF is the most liberal? My God, what City beat it? Berkely? Might as well be SF.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:29 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony

or

come on ABY, you should know were I am steering with this thread by now
Ahhh, I was watching out the front window and you came in through the back door...
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

or
I'd say SF meets all of the above.

and we have Carnaval http://www.carnavalsf.com/
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:47 pm

g

u

n

c

o

n

t

r

o

l

l

a

w

s

!

there I said it, let battle commence

Originally Posted by surly
I'd say SF meets all of the above.

and we have Carnaval http://www.carnavalsf.com/
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:18 am

Have you looked at Oregon?

Originally Posted by neojynx
I dont wish to throw the cat amongst... but hey why not.

I am due to move to the US (through my work), with the one proviso, I cant move to the NE of the US.

My work will always be at the end of a flight, be it east or west coast, north or south.

THEREFORE... I have sort of made a decision to move to Texas (nr Austin). My feelings are that TX is mid US and thus would be a good location for us to move to. We are also looking at the weather, cost of living, schooling for my 2 daughters (5 n 7), etc etc..

I would love comments from both Americans and non Americans on my choice of location..

I am sort of looking at (specifically) San Marcos, TX, it looks nice on the Interweb

I have looked at AZ (too expensive), UT (too mormon), OK (too many tornados), KS (too much wheat). etc etc.. the north is too damn cold btw...

I await any interesting replies.

thanks

- Garry
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:21 pm
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

g

u

n

c

o

n

t

r

o

l

l

a

w

s

!

there I said it, let battle commence
Land of the free ? Home of the brave ? Don't want a gun, but I want the right to make that decision myself. I don't want to hurt anyone that breaks into my house but I don't want to be arrested if i do.

Guns are not legal in the UK but that just creates a healthy black market and puts honest people in a position of needing to become criminals to protect themselves. Also look at the level of knife crime in the UK.

I'm a huge proponent of bullet control !

R./
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:58 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

How 'bout Bloomington, Indiana? No particular reason, but I have heard very good things about it. It's a university town like San Marcos. Indianapolis or Cincinnati would be the closest cities.

Lots of people rave about Austin. I've been there a handful of times and I like it well enough. Certainly prefer the topography to that of Houston. I have heard traffic can be a pain, but I guess that's true of most cities in the US.

Sarah in TX
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:50 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richardowen
We'll have light-rail in Austin soon
Rock on!
Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

tonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of light

If you ignore the insanely high real estate prices, the bay area is definitely one of the more relaxed, open, picturesque and has the best climate for all of the US.

It can sometimes lack in a bit of community even though its one of the most diverse places in the world.

I am not sure I'd want my children growing up in some of the more "closed places".
Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyghiggins
If you ignore the insanely high real estate prices, the bay area is definitely one of the more relaxed, open, picturesque and has the best climate for all of the US.

It can sometimes lack in a bit of community even though its one of the most diverse places in the world.

I am not sure I'd want my children growing up in some of the more "closed places".
Yeah...they had an earthquake this morning. Nothing significant though...just enough to be mentioned every 15 mins on the cable news channels.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yeah...they had an earthquake this morning. Nothing significant though...just enough to be mentioned every 15 mins on the cable news channels.
yeah right
Old Jul 21st 2007, 5:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at Oregon?
You can't get there from here.

We're always at least two flights away from the end of the line, unless you count F'furt.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by neojynx
I dont wish to throw the cat amongst... but hey why not.

I am due to move to the US (through my work), with the one proviso, I cant move to the NE of the US.

My work will always be at the end of a flight, be it east or west coast, north or south.

THEREFORE... I have sort of made a decision to move to Texas (nr Austin). My feelings are that TX is mid US and thus would be a good location for us to move to. We are also looking at the weather, cost of living, schooling for my 2 daughters (5 n 7), etc etc..

I would love comments from both Americans and non Americans on my choice of location..

I am sort of looking at (specifically) San Marcos, TX, it looks nice on the Interweb

I have looked at AZ (too expensive), UT (too mormon), OK (too many tornados), KS (too much wheat). etc etc.. the north is too damn cold btw...

I await any interesting replies.

thanks

- Garry
I'm here, and have been for nearly ten years. Quite happy, although Austin's getting busier and more built up by the year. PM if you have specific questions.