Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I have free reign, where should I go?

I have free reign, where should I go?

Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:49 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: I have free reign, where should I go?

You have free reign, and where should you go?

Certainly not to the USA, there is no monarchy here to reign over.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:01 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have free reign, where should I go?

I'd recommend Chicago, but the OP seems adverse to cold. However, a Siberia-like Chicago winter is actually preferable to me to a stifling Austin summer. Texas summers can be simply awful if you're not prepared.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:38 pm
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
How about Denver? I know you said that you thought it was too cold, but come on, you'd get fantastic scenery and four seasons, wouldn't you? where's the fun in sitting in Austin where it's too hot and humid for 1/4 of the year to step outside?

Perhaps more usefully - you might want to see if there's somewhere with a public transport system that's at least half-decent. You have kids and it would be a decade before they would be able to drive themselves anywhere (legally), even if that were desireable. If you end up in the middle of nowhere, you could end up spending hundreds/thousands of hours driving your kids around. But maybe you already do this so it wouldn't be a problem.

I've often idly considered college towns as somewhere that could be nice to live: you'd get decent bars, bookshops and it could hopefully be a bit more funky that the average town. Anyone here have any experience of Athens, GA, Berkeley, CA or any of the New England college towns?

BTW, this month's edition of Outside has the 30 best towns to live in for outdoor sports etc. Quite a few of the other mags have similar rankings.
We'll have light-rail in Austin soon
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

neojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Richardowen
As I was saying before my dratted keybard sturted plying ap.. Thanks to Richard and all for the relevant infos.

I think we are going to rent for 6 months (to see how we get on) and then move or stay or rent or buy, but by then should have a feel of the area.

I will have to get a feel for how good Bergstrom airport is for my work, I might have to move to nearby Dallas - FW if not, but until we go, we wont know.

I have previous experience with heat having spent time in Florida, Georgia and SCarolina, I do hate mosquitos :-(

But I would like to start out near to Austin and see how things go. Thanks all - again.

- Garry
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:13 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neojynx
As I was saying before my dratted keybard sturted plying ap.. Thanks to Richard and all for the relevant infos.

I think we are going to rent for 6 months (to see how we get on) and then move or stay or rent or buy, but by then should have a feel of the area.

I will have to get a feel for how good Bergstrom airport is for my work, I might have to move to nearby Dallas - FW if not, but until we go, we wont know.

I have previous experience with heat having spent time in Florida, Georgia and SCarolina, I do hate mosquitos :-(

But I would like to start out near to Austin and see how things go. Thanks all - again.

- Garry
yeah, sensible idea to rent first....good luck garry
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richardowen

Hope it's better than the one in Houston
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:46 pm
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Probably, everything else is better in Austin ! :P
Old Jul 19th 2007, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

I dont wish to throw the cat amongst... but hey why not.

I am due to move to the US (through my work), with the one proviso, I cant move to the NE of the US.

My work will always be at the end of a flight, be it east or west coast, north or south.

THEREFORE... I have sort of made a decision to move to Texas (nr Austin). My feelings are that TX is mid US and thus would be a good location for us to move to. We are also looking at the weather, cost of living, schooling for my 2 daughters (5 n 7), etc etc..

I would love comments from both Americans and non Americans on my choice of location..

I am sort of looking at (specifically) San Marcos, TX, it looks nice on the Interweb

I have looked at AZ (too expensive), UT (too mormon), OK (too many tornados), KS (too much wheat). etc etc.. the north is too damn cold btw...

I await any interesting replies.

thanks

- Garry

We all have our favorites, I wouldn't want to live anywhere other than the West Coast, San Francisco being my No1 choice. Not too hot not too cold.
av temp Dec, Jan 57F; Jun thru Oct around 70F.
Supposedly the least temp variation in the US.
SF probably the most liberal city in the US. If your a Republican not your kind of town. Seattle's not bad choice either but a little too wet.
I like to be near the Ocean so SF has everything I want.

All comes down to personal preferences but just putting in a word for San Francisco. OK now lets hear about the earthquakes.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 8:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
All comes down to personal preferences but just putting in a word for San Francisco. OK now lets hear about the earthquakes.
If he thinks AZ is too expensive...
Old Jul 19th 2007, 8:31 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you like humidity? Do you like bugs? Do you like rednecks? Do you like dry counties? Do you like periods were it rains for 2 weeks solid? Do you prefer duallies to a car? Can you hit one of your 12 spent beer cans at 100 ft?
Answer yes to all of these and y'all LOVE Texas

THEREFORE... I have sort of made a decision to move to Texas (nr Austin). My feelings are that TX is mid US and thus would be a good location for us to move to. We are also looking at the weather, cost of living, schooling for my 2 daughters (5 n 7), etc etc..
Old Jul 19th 2007, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pony
Do you like humidity? Do you like bugs? Do you like rednecks? Do you like dry counties? Do you like periods were it rains for 2 weeks solid? Do you prefer duallies to a car? Can you hit one of your 12 spent beer cans at 100 ft?
Answer yes to all of these and y'all LOVE Texas
Old Jul 19th 2007, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

cruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to all

We are moving from London to Austin, Texas early next year and I have found a brilliant online forum - the posters are very good at answering detailed questions about Austin:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/austin/

Check it out, Austin seems like a great place to live...
Old Jul 19th 2007, 8:49 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by surly
SF probably the most liberal city in the US.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 9:57 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
You don't think SF is the most liberal? My God, what City beat it? Berkely? Might as well be SF.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.