Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I guess some stereotypes just won't die...

I guess some stereotypes just won't die...

Old Nov 21st 2004, 8:44 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default I guess some stereotypes just won't die...

If you'd like a good laugh, check this out:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...upq_photo0&e=4

It was one of the "most emailed" photos from Yahoo news today. But actually, the funny part isn't the photo -- it's the caption!

It's so absurd that all Mark and I could do was burst out laughing!

~ Jenney
Old Nov 21st 2004, 8:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I guess some stereotypes just won't die...

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...upq_photo0&e=4

It was one of the "most emailed" photos from Yahoo news today. But actually, the funny part isn't the photo -- it's the caption!

It's so absurd that all Mark and I could do was burst out laughing!

~ Jenney
I just don't get the Brits=dental hygiene connection (though I've heard it loads of times).

I mean, sure, compared to the US, we don't spend 1,000's on braces and perfect teeth makeovers, but "hygiene"? I think it's some urban myth leading from the Austin Powers movies myself.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 9:11 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
~ Jenney

"The typical Briton is polite, witty and phlegmatic, but lacks a certain style and has a dental hygiene issue while having an occasional drinking problem"

waddya mean? i think that describes us perfectly , i'm sure they got that description from the Webster's dictionary

Old Nov 21st 2004, 9:12 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I just don't get the Brits=dental hygiene connection (though I've heard it loads of times).

I mean, sure, compared to the US, we don't spend 1,000's on braces and perfect teeth makeovers, but "hygiene"? I think it's some urban myth leading from the Austin Powers movies myself.
It goes back WAAAY before the Austin Powers movies. Actually, I believe the reason Austin Powers had such gnarly teeth was partly because it IS the typical British stereotype and he was trying to spoof it.

In Yahoo News, if you go to nearly any story having to do with British culture, click on the "Post/Read Msgs" link at the end of the article. Nine times out of 10, there will be AT LEAST one stupid post about how Brits have disgusting dental hygiene and rotting teeth. (Of course, Yahoo posters are not known for their intelligence or worldliness!)

Or just google the words "british" and "teeth" and "stereotype" together look at all the results!

What made me laugh about this caption is that it's stated so matter-of-factly, like it came straight out of an encyclopedia or something. No wonder this sort of stereotype won't go away!

~ Jenney
Old Nov 21st 2004, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

He is kinda thin for a football thug !
Old Nov 21st 2004, 9:26 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

He's also an England fan, where are the outraged jocks and taffs
Old Nov 21st 2004, 10:01 pm
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of

The bad teeth thing is most likely due to the astronomical cost of dental care in the uk, since most dentist's I tried will not take NHS patients and my last dentist was ₤60 for a 5 minute check up!
Mind you I did live in London.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 10:37 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikehope
The bad teeth thing is most likely due to the astronomical cost of dental care in the uk, since most dentist's I tried will not take NHS patients and my last dentist was ₤60 for a 5 minute check up!
Dunno why Americans think they lead the way in dental care...

most Americans did not brush their teeth until Army soldiers brought their enforced habits of tooth brushing back home after World War II. The first real electric toothbrush was produced in 1939, and developed in Switzerland.
Taken from boring stuff about the history of dentistry
Old Nov 21st 2004, 11:04 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

This whole "British people have bad teeth" myth winds me up. My wife's cousin seems to think it particularly amusing to go on about it. My personal view is that on a day to day basis I see just as many people in the US with what might be called "bad" teeth as I used to in Britain. And the cost of an actual visit to the dentist is SO irrelevant (like dental care in the US is dirt cheap, isn't it): What matters is the day to day dental hygeine habits you learn from other sources - I remember learning about the importance of toothbrushing at primary school in the early 70s.

And by the way Mike - learn how to use an apostrophe.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 11:54 pm
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by elfman
This whole "British people have bad teeth" myth winds me up. My wife's cousin seems to think it particularly amusing to go on about it. My personal view is that on a day to day basis I see just as many people in the US with what might be called "bad" teeth as I used to in Britain. And the cost of an actual visit to the dentist is SO irrelevant (like dental care in the US is dirt cheap, isn't it): What matters is the day to day dental hygeine habits you learn from other sources - I remember learning about the importance of toothbrushing at primary school in the early 70s.

And by the way Mike - learn how to use an apostrophe.
Thankyou for the attempt to educate me, however I am well aware of how to use an apostrophe.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:07 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

This whole "British people have bad teeth" myth winds me up. .
Well I'm a Brit and I've been in the States a few years and I'd honestly go with the whole Brit's have bad teeth thing...
Since being here I've never seen so many straight white pearly knashers!!
I've seen groups of kids everyone of them wearing braces ,even adults all trying to get that perfect look , teeth so white ,unbelievably white they really do dazzle

This is all something I never saw in Britain I guess it's not that initially we have worse teeth than the American's but we don't perservere as much to improve upon their look

And I'm actually amazed to see somebody complaining about the price of dental work in the U.K ....have you seen a dentist over here yet? :scared:
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:18 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for the attempt to educate me, however I am well aware of how to use an apostrophe.
I beg to differ.

Dentist's??

And it's not just you - have a look at Celtic Angel's last post for two further examples. The whole use of apostrophes for plurals thing winds me up more than is probably healthy. It just makes the writer look illiterate.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:22 am
A lion in your lap

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
Well I'm a Brit and I've been in the States a few years and I'd honestly go with the whole Brit's have bad teeth thing...
Since being here I've never seen so many straight white pearly knashers!!
I've seen groups of kids everyone of them wearing braces ,even adults all trying to get that perfect look , teeth so white ,unbelievably white they really do dazzle

This is all something I never saw in Britain I guess it's not that initially we have worse teeth than the American's but we don't perservere as much to improve upon their look

And I'm actually amazed to see somebody complaining about the price of dental work in the U.K ....have you seen a dentist over here yet? :scared:
Many Americans use cosmetic tooth whitening treatments - it doesn't mean they actually take any better care of their teeth. My wife stopped using those whitestrip thingies when she read that they and similar products strip the enamel off the teeth and actually leave them more vulnerable to decay. I stand to be corrected by any dentists (or dentist's, Mike) out there.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:35 am
Back Again

I beg to differ.

Dentist's??

And it's not just you - have a look at Celtic Angel's last post for two further examples. The whole use of apostrophes for plurals thing winds me up more than is probably healthy. It just makes the writer look illiterate.
huh elman's now what's the heck's are you's talkin' about's??
i have you's now's i'm certainly knot illitertate but i will agree's that my rightin' cud bee improfed apon....jeeze thought this was a informal forum professor

hehehe just set your teeth on edge? now the question is...are those pearly whites or gnarly yellows?

Last edited by Celtic_Angel; Nov 22nd 2004 at 12:38 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:46 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

I don't know if my spouse's dental history is anything to go by but here it is:

he wore braces as a teenager (as so many Americans do at this stage in life)
he had a crown made at a cost of a lot of money when we lived in the UK
he's currently having another crown made to replace the crown that became pretty loose (another lot of $$s)
he's also been told he grinds his teeth at night (can't remember the name for this condition)
he also has receding gums (has had minor gum surgery in the past)

So, he has straight, clean teeth.

Me on the other hand has never worn braces, had quite a number of fillings in my life but I've never needed a crown. My gums are fine. My teeth are damn strong. They're not bright white like a movie stars and I only ever go to the dentist for check ups and cleanings.

I don't get the feeling that all this attention the Americans pay to their teeth pays off really. This may be a generalization but based on stories I've heard about my spouse's family and coworkers, my dental health is far better than any American's I've heard about...

... And don't start about finding a good dentist either

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.