Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I got my visa (K1) (this is long)

I got my visa (K1) (this is long)

Old Apr 30th 2002, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

RickQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I got my visa (K1) (this is long)

Some of you may know that I have applied for a visa to move to the US to marry my sweetheart, Brynda. Well, I had my visa interview on Monday and I got the visa!!!!!

The day went like this......

We (Brynda and I) got up early, about 6am and got ready. No breakfast for me cause I was really nervous. We headed into central London on the tube and made our way to the doctor's office where I would have to have my medical. We arrived at about 7:45am and there were already some people queuing up outside.

We were ushered inside at 8am and told to put all our paperwork in a plastic wallet and hand them all in to the reception desk. After this, they started calling people's names, but it did not appear to be in any order. We had to go and pay and sign some forms, then head down to the waiting room. Once there, we were called for our blood tests (they just take the blood at this point) and then after waiting some more (a pattern is beginning to emerge here, can you see it?) we were called to go for a chest x-ray. They get you to strip to the waist and the girls are given a thin white robe to cover up with (not see through or anything, it just looks thin, like one of them hospital things) and the boys get nothing (breathe in). You are placed infront of the machine in an awkward position and they do the x-ray then the Dr comes to take you into his office (there is a female Dr for the girls). He listened to me breathing and examined my abdomen and asked me a little about what I had put on the form (I have Hydrocephalus and have had several surgeries). Then I just had to wait for the Dr to look at the x-ray. For those who are (like me) worried about a medical condition, mine was not a problem, this will not be so for all cases, but try not to worry until you speak to the Dr him/herself (listen to me, the man who worries almost as much as I breath).

With x-ray in hand I headed off to the Embassy with Brynda and Dave from this very board. When we got to the embassy we had to show our letters to get into the grounds (it is all fenced off now) and then go through security (which took waaay longer than it should cause I forgot I had a can of Diet Coke in the bottom of my bag. Ooops <g>). Once inside we headed to some booths and handed in the letter and were told to take a seat and wait to be called.

After another wait, we were called up one by one to the front to hand in some papers and sign the forms we had already mailed and the one you have to pay for. Once that was done we were again told to wait.

The next time I was called was for the visa interview itself. I headed to the booth and the guy (who was really nice) said that Brynda could come too (he knew she was my fiance cause of a pic sent in as evidence we had met) so up Brynda came. He asked how we met (mentioning the Straight Dope caused a raised eyebrow until I explained it). I waffled a bit but all he really wanted to know was when we met online, when we met in person and when I went to the US for the first time. I also told him when I met Brynda's family. He said that pending the results of the blood test I would get my visa after 12pm and to return then. As has been mentioned in Dave's thread, the guy at the embassy was so nice to me too.

We decided to head out cause Brynda wanted to go to Speakers corner in Hyde Park. It was really windy, so we walked to the park and looked around for it (we realised we had started there and headed away) but decided to head back when we saw there was no one speaking cause it was so cold and windy.

When we got back we went into the waiting room again and waited.......and waited.....and waited. We saw someone bring out some passports, but they did not call anyone. Then they started calling people up. I was near the bottom of the list but eventually I was called. He explained when I needed to travel (within 6 months) and get married (within 90 days of entering the US) and to contact the INS after that.

And that was it.

I also want to thank the people on this board who have helped with kind words, advice and everything else. Now all I need to do is get through the port of entry (awaiting Dave's post).

After much sickening PDA type stuff we head out and went to Hard Rock Cafe for lunch.

We also went on the London eye cause we could not get on last time we were here. I would recommend going on it to anyone in town cause it is great. The weather turned realy sour just after we got off, which was lucky. I have heard that it is pretty good at night too, so that might be worth thinking about.

All in all a tiring day, but I am so happy. I have my ticket booked and fly out a week on Wednesday. I have to finish packing and then that is it!!!! I can't wait.

I love you, Brynda.

Rick
Old May 2nd 2002, 1:10 pm
Gavin.McCormack

Default Re: I got my visa (K1) (this is long)

Hi Rick, I posted quite a few times along with Dave (who you met) I have my interview
in one week. I was wondering if you could answer this for me. In your post you
mention handing in all your paperwork in a plastic folder prior to the medical. Could
you please tell me what paperwork you refer to as all i have is the medical
questionairre they sent me and a vaccination certificate from my own doctor (
although it doesn't cover all my vaccinations). Is there any paperwork I should have
that I haven't mentioned so far. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Also a kind of strange question...but at the blood test...did you get the impression
they would be tolerant of people with needle phobias?? The medical worries me more
than anything as doctors surgeries are a panic attack inducing thing for me and I am
concerned how they will treat me.Thanks.

Whoops I think i posted this twice or replied to you rather than the newsgroup.

A fellow worrier G

RickQ <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Some of you may know that I have applied for a visa to move to the US to marry my
    > sweetheart, Brynda. Well, I had my visa interview on Monday and I got the visa!!!!!
    >
    > The day went like this......
    >
    > We (Brynda and I) got up early, about 6am and got ready. No breakfast for me cause
    > I was really nervous. We headed into central London on the tube and made our way to
    > the doctor's office where I would have to have my medical. We arrived at about
    > 7:45am and there were already some people queuing up outside.
    >
    > We were ushered inside at 8am and told to put all our paperwork in a plastic wallet
    > and hand them all in to the reception desk. After this, they started calling
    > people's names, but it did not appear to be in any order. We had to go and pay and
    > sign some forms, then head down to the waiting room. Once there, we were called for
    > our blood tests (they just take the blood at this point) and then after waiting
    > some more (a pattern is beginning to emerge here, can you see it?) we were called
    > to go for a chest x-ray. They get you to strip to the waist and the girls are given
    > a thin white robe to cover up with (not see through or anything, it just looks
    > thin, like one of them hospital things) and the boys get nothing (breathe in). You
    > are placed infront of the machine in an awkward position and they do the x-ray then
    > the Dr comes to take you into his office (there is a female Dr for the girls). He
    > listened to me breathing and examined my abdomen and asked me a little about what I
    > had put on the form (I have Hydrocephalus and have had several surgeries). Then I
    > just had to wait for the Dr to look at the x-ray. For those who are (like me)
    > worried about a medical condition, mine was not a problem, this will not be so for
    > all cases, but try not to worry until you speak to the Dr him/herself (listen to
    > me, the man who worries almost as much as I breath).
    >
    > With x-ray in hand I headed off to the Embassy with Brynda and Dave from this very
    > board. When we got to the embassy we had to show our letters to get into the
    > grounds (it is all fenced off now) and then go through security (which took waaay
    > longer than it should cause I forgot I had a can of Diet Coke in the bottom of my
    > bag. Ooops <g>). Once inside we headed to some booths and handed in the letter and
    > were told to take a seat and wait to be called.
    >
    > After another wait, we were called up one by one to the front to hand in some
    > papers and sign the forms we had already mailed and the one you have to pay for.
    > Once that was done we were again told to wait.
    >
    > The next time I was called was for the visa interview itself. I headed to the
    > booth and the guy (who was really nice) said that Brynda could come too (he knew
    > she was my fiance cause of a pic sent in as evidence we had met) so up Brynda
    > came. He asked how we met (mentioning the
    > http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmbStraight Dope caused a raised eyebrow until I
    > explained it). I waffled a bit but all he really wanted to know was when we met
    > online, when we met in person and when I went to the US for the first time. I also
    > told him when I met Brynda's family. He said that pending the results of the blood
    > test I would get my visa after 12pm and to return then. As has been mentioned in
    > Dave's thread, the guy at the embassy was so nice to me too.
    >
    > We decided to head out cause Brynda wanted to go to Speakers corner in Hyde Park.
    > It was really windy, so we walked to the park and looked around for it (we realised
    > we had started there and headed away) but decided to head back when we saw there
    > was no one speaking cause it was so cold and windy.
    >
    > When we got back we went into the waiting room again and waited.......and
    > waited.....and waited. We saw someone bring out some passports, but they did not
    > call anyone. Then they started calling people up. I was near the bottom of the
    > list but eventually I was called. He explained when I needed to travel (within 6
    > months) and get married (within 90 days of entering the US) and to contact the INS
    > after that.
    >
    > And that was it.
    >
    >
    >
    > I also want to thank the people on this board who have helped with kind words,
    > advice and everything else. Now all I need to do is get through the port of entry
    > (awaiting Dave's post).
    >
    > After much sickening PDA type stuff we head out and went to Hard Rock Cafe
    > for lunch.
    >
    > We also went on the London eye cause we could not get on last time we were here. I
    > would recommend going on it to anyone in town cause it is great. The weather turned
    > realy sour just after we got off, which was lucky. I have heard that it is pretty
    > good at night too, so that might be worth thinking about.
    >
    > All in all a tiring day, but I am so happy. I have my ticket booked and fly out a
    > week on Wednesday. I have to finish packing and then that is it!!!! I can't wait.
    >
    > I love you, Brynda.
    >
    > Rick
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 2nd 2002, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

BestGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Rick will be along on Saturday to answer this properly, but I think you are right about the med questionnaire and the immunization record being all you need. He had a letter from his MD and some medical history stuff, since he was worried about his hydrocephalus, but that isn't required.

He told me the MDs were nice, so that's good news in terms of your needle phobia. In the meantime, I am a psychologist by trade, so I know a bit about phobias. It might help if you practice relaxing (deep breathing is good) and then when you are nice and relaxed, picture a needle. You will prolly tense up, so then relax again and picture a needle again. If you practice enough, you can teach yourself to be more relaxed around needles--honest.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.
Old May 2nd 2002, 11:40 pm
Gavin.McCormack

Thanks for that info. I have tried techniques before and sort of know its mind over
matter. Being so far from home in a strange doctors doesnt really make me too
confident. I will just grit my teeth and struggle through
it...almost makes me look forward to the interview hahaha. As you will also know the
stress of K1 doesn't help matter either. In one week relaxation will become a much
easier thing to deal with...well until that flight beckons hahaha. Thanks for the
advice again. G

BestGirl <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Rick will be along on Saturday to answer this properly, but I think you are right
    > about the med questionnaire and the immunization record being all you need. He had
    > a letter from his MD and some medical history stuff, since he was worried about his
    > hydrocephalus, but that isn't required.
    >
    > He told me the MDs were nice, so that's good news in terms of your needle phobia.
    > In the meantime, I am a psychologist by trade, so I know a bit about phobias. It
    > might help if you practice relaxing (deep breathing is good) and then when you are
    > nice and relaxed, picture a needle. You will prolly tense up, so then relax again
    > and picture a needle again. If you practice enough, you can teach yourself to be
    > more relaxed around needles--honest.
    >
    > Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 3rd 2002, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

RickQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gavin

The Drs at the office are very nice. The guy who takes your X-Ray fancies himself as a bit of a comedian too.

It is a nurse who draws the blood and she is very nice. There were several people who were afraid of needles there when I was there and they all said it went fine. I am not afraid of them, so I was not bothered by it.

The Dr is seems quiet understanding, when I mentioned my medical condition he said he probably would not even both mentioning it.

I'm sure things will go well.

Oh, the documents. The only things I had to bring were vacination records, my passport and the form which you tick the boxes on. I also had something from my own GP which I handed in, but they did not need it and returned them at the end.

It sounds like you have everything covered

Good Luck, post back and let us know how you got on.

Rick
Old May 7th 2002, 11:10 pm
Mhaley12345

Congratulations....great story!