Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I finally have a credit score

I finally have a credit score

Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:53 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I finally have a credit score

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I love the phrase - 'I think you'll find' it sounds so reasonable and so patronising at the same time!

Last time i used it on the wife, I got clouted!
I think you'll find that it's rather safer to use that phrase here on t'Internet.

"You may be surprised to learn..." and "Correct me if I'm wrong, but..." are good standbys if you're used up your "I think you'll find..." quota for the day/week/lifetime.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 12:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I think you'll find that's a myth. I'm sure FatBrit or one of the other members who know more about credit will correct me if I'm wrong.
your right, he was sprouting shite...and even the credit card company will be looking to dump you if you do that as your a bucket of shite for risk...there out to make money so will be willing to help, but if your maxing your card, they won't be..and if you miss a payment or are late, could find any specials dry up and interest rate jumping to 35%...scarily enough, that doesn't seem to scare some people...hmmm *l*
Old Nov 30th 2005, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Yep -- was deliberately avoiding this thread but couldn't ignore that crap post.
I've always thought you had a way with words.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

jamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud of

What, you mean JamJar is WRONG?

I knew you wouldn't fail me
I'm made a mistake. I'm sorry. I hope everybody ignores my bad advice.
What's with the personal attack? Is that how you respond to anybody who makes a mistake or just me?
Old Nov 30th 2005, 10:00 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamjar
What's with the personal attack? Is that how you respond to anybody who makes a mistake or just me?
No, no, it's nothing personal. I try to be equally unpleasant to everyone!

p.s. you deserve big Karma for getting Bob to invent the great new phrase "sprouting shite"!
Old Nov 30th 2005, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

The interest you pay on a credit card balance is the "back-end". If you are like me and pay your balance off every month, the credit card company won't make any money from you on the back-end. But they still make money on the "front-end" - when you make the purchase. They charge the vendor a transaction fee somewhere between 1 % - 3 % I believe (I'm not a business owner, so I'm guessing at the rate). And of course the vendor bumps up his prices to cover this fee. So you and I are paying for this convenience. The credit card companies do still make money out of us.

Originally Posted by jamjar
Old Dec 1st 2005, 12:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

p.s. you deserve big Karma for getting Bob to invent the great new phrase "sprouting shite"!
it does raise the odd eye brow to anyone who's paying attention
Old Dec 1st 2005, 3:01 am
sas
Forum Regular

sas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nice
Thumbs down Re: I finally have a credit score

Which makes sense... but what the **** is "the real juicy stuff"? You and SAS imply that there's a whole world of amazing credit offers out there reserved for those in the population with stellar credit scores maintained perfectly over a long period of time.
I really wasn't implying anything, just passing on what I have been told by my mortgage broker and financial adviser and read in my credit report comments.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hugh Jaas will become famous soon enoughHugh Jaas will become famous soon enough

I'm sure I got this Pdf on credit scoring awhile back on here. I haven't been all the way through it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
secretguide_CREDIT.pdf (261.0 KB, 239 views)
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:45 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sas
I really wasn't implying anything, just passing on what I have been told by my mortgage broker and financial adviser and read in my credit report comments.

That explains it - mortgage brokers typically know as much about credit as they do about open heart surgery
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:50 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hugh Jaas
I'm sure I got this Pdf on credit scoring awhile back on here. I haven't been all the way through it.

theres a few factual errors - i noticed the comments pertainig to inquiries are incorrect
Old Dec 1st 2005, 6:05 pm
sas
Forum Regular

sas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nice
Smile Re: I finally have a credit score

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
That explains it - mortgage brokers typically know as much about credit as they do about open heart surgery
Agree with you on that, my broker told me to get a store card and a gas card to help improve my credit rating I already had 3 credit cards (1 secured), a car loan and was a week away from signing a mortgage :scared: