Reload this Page >

I could use some advice on moving

I could use some advice on moving

Old Jan 19th 2015, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Confused Newb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I could use some advice on moving

Hello,

We are two 21 year old men who are hoping to start new lives in the USA. We have collective savings of £20k and are both in employment for our local council.
The plan is to quit our jobs, move to USA, get jobs (anything will do), rent a small apartment and live happily ever after...

There are some things I can't get my head around and I would appreciate any input and advice you may have.

I'm aware that we can come over on a holiday visa - however, it seems that we can't work when using this.
We could try a work visa - but we would need the employer to apply through the system and vouch for us? Seems unreasonable for bar-work and that sort of thing...

Is there a way that we have missed? It seems like it's impossible for us to become permanent residents.

Yours, hoping I've posted this in the right place,

Reece
Old Jan 19th 2015, 1:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I could use some advice on moving

Hello and welcome to BE.

From what you have said there seems to be none/very little chance of you moving to live and work in the US. Take a look through this...Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA...it : British Expat Wiki lists the ways of moving to the US.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 1:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confused Newb
Hello,

We are two 21 year old men who are hoping to start new lives in the USA. We have collective savings of £20k and are both in employment for our local council.
The plan is to quit our jobs, move to USA, get jobs (anything will do), rent a small apartment and live happily ever after...

There are some things I can't get my head around and I would appreciate any input and advice you may have.

I'm aware that we can come over on a holiday visa - however, it seems that we can't work when using this.
We could try a work visa - but we would need the employer to apply through the system and vouch for us? Seems unreasonable for bar-work and that sort of thing...

Is there a way that we have missed? It seems like it's impossible for us to become permanent residents.

Yours, hoping I've posted this in the right place,

Reece
Welcome to BE

Firstly your idea of moving to the USA and getting a job are non starters, to move without a job offer and immigrant visa is impossible unless you have a shed load of cash available, which you do not have.

Please read this link carefully, then come baack to the forum with any other questions, but I'm afraid, from what you say, the US is somewhere for you to holiday only.

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

Last edited by mikelincs; Jan 19th 2015 at 1:15 pm. Reason: oops JG you beat me to it
Old Jan 19th 2015, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confused Newb
We could try a work visa - but we would need the employer to apply through the system and vouch for us?
Your problem is that your prospective employer would need to do more than just "vouch" for you, they would need to put together a legal case that (missing out the details...):-

1) They have a real job that needs doing
2) They have tried very hard to find someone to do it
3) None of the applications from US citizens/PRs were suitable
4) But you are.

Which unless you have rare specialized skills is going to be almost impossible for them to do.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

You could head out to Australia on a working visa. My two nephews are there now, they are 20 and 21 and are having the best time. They have had no problem finding jobs, very well paying jobs and have even been offered sponsorship for PR.

Alternatively what about the Cayman Islands, I worked there for a while. You could get jobs in Food and Beverage with the large hotels on temp visas. The world is a big place - get out and see it.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I have 5 friends in Australia now and every one of them love it, doesn't seem hard to get a visa either.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 3:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
Yeah I have 5 friends in Australia now and every one of them love it, doesn't seem hard to get a visa either.
A working holiday visa is easy enough, no skills needed for that. However to get permanent residency through a skills visa there are hoops to jump through, - the skill needs to be in demand, for instance. In the case of the OP, simply "workjing for the council" won't cut it, it depends what the actual job/skill is. Having said that, there is a much better chance of getting into Australia than into the USA for the majority of people.

Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection is the place to start.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 7:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
You could head out to Australia on a working visa....
Canada offer it too, though possibly on a more limited basis.

A mate did the Oz one though and loved it. He shagged his way across the country and got someone to pay for his return airfare for him too