Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I can't wait for spring...

I can't wait for spring...

Old Feb 25th 2004, 3:59 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Cool I can't wait for spring...

This year I am going to have the best garden fro miles. I've got seeds in trays germinating as I type... and I'm doing my homework.

What I'm trying to achieve this year is a messy, flowery cottage garden. The front of my house is long so I'm hoping to fill it in well with taller plants at the back etc so I can see them from the window when I'm indoors too. (flowery scent can waft in)

Does anyone have any seeds to share? Something typically English maybe. -- I'm not getting very far with my daisy experiment and do need ideas on how to get them to grow all over the grass (I must be mad)

What do you get excited about?

What makes a garden "English"?
Alexander Pope, the famous English poet and essayist expressed his feeling about the direction of English gardening back in 1713 like this: "amiable simplicity of unadorned nature." At that time, gardens tended to be quite formal. All clipped hedges and perfect symmetry-which is all very well if you have a gardening staff to do it all. The French and Dutch influence was clearly at the fore front then, but that was all about to change.

To me, perhaps the most appealing of English garden layout is the Cottage Garden. This is a very easy to do design that essentially is several different kinds of plants, but the backbone of it seems to be hollyhocks, delphiniums, and foxgloves. Add to that a few roses, clematis, lupin, daylilies, aquilegia, dianthus, and poppies. That could easily be enough, but to make it really gush with color all season long it is essential to add a few annuals. Pansies, cosmos, violas, zinnia, sunflowers, morning glory, annual poppies, and whatever else appeals to you. It's not really an exact science, but the idea of a Cottage Garden is to make it as colorful as possible all season long. It should start with Spring blooming bulbs, and end with colorful fall foliage. The site should be sunny, but have a bit of shade for some accent plants like impatiens. The color scheme is your personal preference. I have mine set up so it sort of travels the color wheel. One month it's white and blue, then travels over to purples and reds, yellows and orange, and ends with a big splash of everything in September from the various annuals that I incorporate into the garden.

Also, I would recommend investing in a piece or two of garden statuary. It gives a focal point that can really inspire the entire layout.

Just remember: it's supposed to be fun! Don't get bogged down trying to duplicate a professional gardeners design. By all means visit other gardens to see what appeals to you and what does not. Once you have that information, get out there and dig! - Arthur
Old Feb 25th 2004, 4:01 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can't wait for spring...

Originally posted by BrigieDarling

Does anyone have any seeds to share? Something typically English maybe.
You are asking for trouble here.

Yep...........asking for trouble here.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 11:58 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by manc1976
You are asking for trouble here.

Yep...........asking for trouble here.
<giggle> Yeah I kinda thought I might be!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 12:02 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm jealous. i would so like to have a garden, but alas, I live in an apartment and to top that I am crap at gardening. I have a fantasy of being good with plants, as my Mum has a natural talent with all things green, but it was not passed on in the genetic pool. I think when we buy a new house with a garden we shall have to get Ground Force involved. I thought they might like the angle...ex-pat Brit moves to the USA and needs a garden to remind her of home. Any bloody excuse to get Charlie Dimmock round for tea.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 12:17 am
At last in Josh's arms =)

JoshsCarole is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw the first hummingbird of the year today! Spring is definitely getting closer! =)
Old Feb 26th 2004, 2:07 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

When you say "typically English" are we talking Surrey typical or Mile End typical? If it's the later, then just pave over the entire garden, pop in a couple of lamposts, spread some dog turds around the place and hey presto! The burnt out car is optional, but recomended for complete authenticity
Old Feb 26th 2004, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

This year I am going to have the best garden fro miles. I've got seeds in trays germinating as I type... and I'm doing my homework.

What I'm trying to achieve this year is a messy, flowery cottage garden. The front of my house is long so I'm hoping to fill it in well with taller plants at the back etc so I can see them from the window when I'm indoors too. (flowery scent can waft in)

Does anyone have any seeds to share? Something typically English maybe. -- I'm not getting very far with my daisy experiment and do need ideas on how to get them to grow all over the grass (I must be mad)

I'm still trying to grow daffodils in Florida....
Old Feb 26th 2004, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Taffyles I'm not sure youre going to get daffodils to grow in Florida, they require 'frosting' which kick starts their life cycle so unless the ground gets cold down there you'll probably find they are reluctant to show. Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news n all. You could try planting some in a smallish pot and 'force' it by placing it in your fridge for a month or so, it might work and anythings worth a try to see those lovely yellow trumpets

Bridgie, I tried growing plants on from seed last year and I mostly got plants that looked very weak all year. It may be an idea to start with a few (quite a few) good size perennial plants which you can divide in a couple of years time. Dont forget shrubs too, they are expensive over here but buddlejia (the butterfly bush) does a great job of bringing in all sorts of wildlife.
Last year I was lucky enough to get my plants from the same supplier as my work so I paid wholesale prices, this year I'm trying out Gurneys seed & nursery co ... www.gurneys.com they seem to have a good selection and came very well recommended to me.
Good luck with your Enlgish country garden

Jan
Old Feb 26th 2004, 12:51 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

The Japanese Beetles and I spend all summer tending my potentillas, roses, lavenders, and salveas.

Anyone got a cure for them, and please don't say those plastic traps, because they just attract more of the little buggers.

thanks much,
Percy!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

only real 'cure' for them is to pick them off by hand, I've tried just about every spray and they still come back ... I'll ask around a bit and see what I can find out.

Percy aka Jan
Old Feb 26th 2004, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jan_michigan
Taffyles I'm not sure youre going to get daffodils to grow in Florida, they require 'frosting' which kick starts their life cycle so unless the ground gets cold down there you'll probably find they are reluctant to show. Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news n all. You could try planting some in a smallish pot and 'force' it by placing it in your fridge for a month or so, it might work and anythings worth a try to see those lovely yellow trumpets

Jan
Yep- I keep trying as every year winter in FL gets colder. I moaned so much about daffs that some of my friends brought me out bunches of artificial ones to shut me up I've been told it is possible to grow them here with great care- you have to put the bulbs in the freezer for a month, then plant in the shade and water with ice cubes- so far all I've produced are spindly green shoots- but I'll keep at it. Walmart sold pots of croci and daffs here one year- they were completely overgrown in a week! One day....
Old Feb 26th 2004, 1:34 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles
I'm still trying to grow daffodils in Florida....
I have been told that Tallahassee is about the lowest part of the state that they will grow...
Old Feb 26th 2004, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Up here we get daffodils but they last for 3 weeks or less, considering they should be peeking through right now and we still have 4ft snow on the ground theyre aweful late.

Jan
Old Feb 26th 2004, 2:38 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jan_michigan
Jan
Jan,

The fridge treatment definitely works. For Florida, bulb nurseries recommend refrigerating 6 to 8 weeks before planting. Some recommend even longer, 12-16 weeks. It fools them into believing they have overwintered in a frosty climate. Just keep them in a paper bag or perforated plastic bag inside the fridge, but keep away from fruit, which can emit ethylene gas which can prompt premature blooming. Paperwhites don't generally require refrigeration, although they do not produce large yellow trumpets, however they have their own charm including a magnificent scent.

Debbie