Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I can’t look at the word map without tears.

Wikiposts

I can’t look at the word map without tears.

Old Feb 14th 2004, 6:59 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. What a well thought out and well structured argument......NOT!!!

I guess if he can count the so-called countries on one hand that are not influenced by the USA, that gives him a small amount of places he can emigrate to.

I don't think a speech like that would go down to well in an Immigration interview
Old Feb 14th 2004, 4:18 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Polaris_x
Gawd forbid a country actually tries to CIVILIZE the world. Mercy me.
You really must learn the difference between america going out and civilizing the world and america going out and americanizing the world. Most of the countries are already civilized they are not americanized and this upsets Uncle Sam.

Bush at the moment really reminds me of the old Kenny Everett character - General Norm Bomdthebastards who used to claim everything was American and end his tirade with

"We're going to round 'em up, put 'em in a field, and bomb the bastards!"

Except Bush didn't bother to do his military service.

Patrick
Old Feb 15th 2004, 3:38 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by duh
...And in his fall moment special troops soldiers that were trained to secure the president suddenly remember that their celery is too low, that their families huddle together in small flats and so on...

This bit is my favourite. I've read it a few times and still can't work it out.
1st World War - Blackadder in the trenches. They are about to make an advance, but Baldrick comes up: "We can't go - our celerly supply is nearly out. We'll starve out there ! "

Scotty on the Enterprise: "She canna take no more ! The celery is too low !"

"It's celerly Jim, but not as we know it."

I'll get me coat.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 4:09 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
Most of the countries are already civilized
Quite right old boy - we did that donkeys years ago!!

And before WWIII starts, that was meant as a joke.....
Old Feb 15th 2004, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
Quite right old boy - we did that donkeys years ago!!

Old Feb 15th 2004, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

You really must learn the difference between america going out and civilizing the world and america going out and americanizing the world. Most of the countries are already civilized they are not americanized and this upsets Uncle Sam.

Bush at the moment really reminds me of the old Kenny Everett character - General Norm Bomdthebastards who used to claim everything was American and end his tirade with

"We're going to round 'em up, put 'em in a field, and bomb the bastards!"

Except Bush didn't bother to do his military service.

Patrick
So the U.S. forcibly Americanizing which countries?
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:20 am
JeanDupont

Well - there's Canada............and Puerto Rico.......

Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:28 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by edwords
So the U.S. forcibly Americanizing which countries?
Thats funny, have you ever been out of America, do you not read the papers. Countries do what america tells them and they give them money, this works almost everywhere except Cuba. Even the Afganistan and Iraq constitutions are based on the american one as will there voting system.

America isn't americanising the world - so thats why there is a mcdonalds and starbucks on every high street in the world over, just asking

Patrick
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:33 am
JeanDupont

And then there are those old US schoolbuses all over Central and South America.............now if that is not Americanization I don't know what is.and its really insidious.

Old Feb 15th 2004, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Thats funny, have you ever been out of America, do you not read the papers. Countries do what america tells them and they give them money, this works almost everywhere except Cuba. Even the Afganistan and Iraq constitutions are based on the american one as will there voting system.

America isn't americanising the world - so thats why there is a mcdonalds and starbucks on every high street in the world over, just asking

Patrick
Well, let's see: I've been to the U.K., U.S., Germany, Greece, Turkey, Belize, Mexico, Italy, Canada... and more. Actually, most of the people I've met in these places like America. Fancy that. And it seems that many of these people like the things America produces. Or is Uncle Sam forcing people to drink at Starbucks and eat at McDonald's?
As far as countries doing what America tells them. I think America's recent experience with its French, German and Canadian "allies" over the Iraq war kind of dispels that notion.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 2:33 pm
Pagan Sex God

Well, let's see: I've been to the U.K., U.S., Germany, Greece, Turkey, Belize, Mexico, Italy, Canada... and more.
Someone was in the Army

As far as countries doing what America tells them. I think America's recent experience with its French, German and Canadian "allies" over the Iraq war kind of dispels that notion.
Oh I see, your not following the thread. Let me recap - Polaris_x made a point about america civilising countries. Then I made the point the point they weren't civilizing countries but americanising them. Now obviously Germany, France, Canada Greece, Turkey, Belize, Mexico, Italy, Canada are not on the list of countries america is trying to (in polaris_x words) civilize.

As for the mcd's and starbucks - yes people like them but it doesn't stop it from being global marketization by the americans. It doesn't stop it being one country passivley exporting its culture into other cultures.

Patrick
Old Feb 15th 2004, 2:42 pm
Sleep? What's that?

bubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura about

As for the mcd's and starbucks - yes people like them but it doesn't stop it from being global marketization by the americans. It doesn't stop it being one country passivley exporting its culture into other cultures.

Patrick
Same thing happens here, Patrick. Cinco de Mayo is a city holiday in San Antonio and in many places, workers are paid extra if they can speak Spanish.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 3:07 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by bubbadog
Same thing happens here, Patrick. Cinco de Mayo is a city holiday in San Antonio and in many places, workers are paid extra if they can speak Spanish.
Look at the Irish Passive Globalisation that been going on over the last 10 years. Show me a town without an irish bar and I'll show you 1978. I went to a one horse town in the middle of Finland that had 2 hotels, and one had an Irish bar in it. Find me an american that doesn't claim to be irish american, its moronic

Patrick
Old Feb 15th 2004, 3:53 pm
Sleep? What's that?

bubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura about

I do not claim to be Irish American
Old Feb 16th 2004, 1:12 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Patrick
Ok so, Alice Springs, that up until 70 years ago was just a telegraph relay station on the road between Adelaide and Darwin.
It is in the middle of a bleak desert and is not another town worth its' salt for over 1000 miles in any direction.

There is a Kmart in Alica Springs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.