Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I bet this has been asked a 1000 times

I bet this has been asked a 1000 times

Old May 7th 2003, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Ruud Van is an unknown quantity at this point
Question I bet this has been asked a 1000 times

I am currently looking to relocate from the UK due to many reasons.

Status is Married with Baby of 11 months

Currently a Purchasing Manager for a Large Construction Company, my wife is a Qualified Accounts Manager for a family business.

Is a move to US say Florida a complete no no? I have friends in Virginia who tell me its very unlikely.

Thanks for any help offered.
Old May 7th 2003, 1:01 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I bet this has been asked a 1000 times

Originally posted by Ruud Van
I am currently looking to relocate from the UK due to many reasons.

Status is Married with Baby of 11 months

Currently a Purchasing Manager for a Large Construction Company, my wife is a Qualified Accounts Manager for a family business.

Is a move to US say Florida a complete no no? I have friends in Virginia who tell me its very unlikely.

Thanks for any help offered.
Hi,

What visa are you looking to come in on. You either have to be married to an american, or have direct family that are american, be sponsored by a company or have a skill that is in short supply in the US (Doctor, Chemist or Engineer - alas there are a lot of accountants and construction people out of work already) or have a lot of money to invest. You can't just up sticks and move on a whim. If your deadly serious you can spend some money and speak to an immigration attorney but I think you will have very little luck.

Another thing to consider if you both have jobs is that the economy over here is really really bad at the moment and it is very difficult to find a job as 1. more companies are firing than hiring and 2. there are a lot of qualified people out of work already.

Good Luck

Patrick
Old May 7th 2003, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Default Thanks

Your reply is as I thought, I have cash to invest but not serious amounts. Probably around 500k (Sterling) but I read an earlier thread mentioning you would need at least 1million.

I think plan B must be next! Rob a bank!!
Old May 10th 2003, 2:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanks

Your reply is as I thought, I have cash to invest but not serious amounts. Probably around 500k (Sterling) but I read an earlier thread mentioning you would need at least 1million.

I think plan B must be next! Rob a bank!!
Patrick has summarized what I usually say in answer to a question like yours, but he has omitted to mention that you can get a visa to buy any business, even a really small one, but it won't get you a green card / permanent resident status, so if the business folds you have to leave.

Patrick also omitted to mention that you, being Dutch, are eligible for the diversity visa lottery, unlike British passport holders (except those born in Northern Ireland).
Old May 12th 2003, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Default Thanks

So basically I can buy a small business and live in the states as long as the business is running??

Is there any time limit?

Thanks for all your help.
Old May 12th 2003, 11:44 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So basically I can buy a small business and live in the states as long as the business is running??

Is there any time limit?

Thanks for all your help.
No, it's open-ended, so long as you contiunue to run the business.

BTW It's an E-2 visa, and you probably need an experienced immigration attorny to help you with your application.
Old May 12th 2003, 1:26 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
No, it's open-ended, so long as you contiunue to run the business.

BTW It's an E-2 visa, and you probably need an experienced immigration attorny to help you with your application.
Here is the information on an E2. You have to keep your main domicile as the UK, your money must go into a UK bank account. It really is dream come true for those wanting to emmigrate. Technically it isn't open ended as you have to keep re-applying every year. Because it is a non immigration visa the time you spend in the US does not go towards any time you need to rack up to get a GC or Citizenship.

TIPS FOR U.S. VISAS:
Treaty Traders and Treaty Investors

The Immigration and Nationality Act provides nonimmigrant visa status for a national of a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation who is coming to the United States to carry on substantial trade, including trade in services or technology, principally between the United States and the treaty country, or to develop and direct the operations of an enterprise in which the national has invested, or is in the process of investing a substantial amount of capital.
REQUIREMENTS: TREATY TRADER

The applicant must be a national of a treaty country;

The trading firm for which the applicant is coming to the U. S. must have the nationality of the treaty country;

The international trade must be "substantial" in the sense that there is a sizable and continuing volume of trade;

The trade must be principally between the U.S. and the treaty country, which is defined to mean that more than 50 percent of the international trade involved must be between the U.S. and the country of the applicant's nationality;

Trade means the international exchange of goods, services, and technology. Title of the trade items must pass from one party to the other; and

The applicant must be employed in a supervisory or executive capacity, or possess highly specialized skills essential to the efficient operation of the firm. Ordinary skilled or unskilled workers do not qualify.

REQUIREMENTS: TREATY INVESTOR

The investor, either a real or corporate person, must be a national of a treaty country;

The investment must be substantial. It must be sufficient to ensure the successful operation of the enterprise. The percentage of investment for a low-cost business enterprise must be higher than the percentage of investment in a high-cost enterprise;

The investment must be a real operating enterprise. Speculative or idle investment does not qualify. Uncommitted funds in a bank account or similar security are not considered an investment;

The investment may not be marginal. It must generate significantly more income than just to provide a living to the investor and family, or it must have a significant economic impact in the United States;

The investor must have control of the funds, and the investment must be at risk in the commercial sense. Loans secured with the assets of the investment enterprise are not allowed; and

The investor must be coming to the U.S. to develop and direct the enterprise. If the applicant is not the principal investor, he or she must be employed in a supervisory, executive, or highly specialized skill capacity. Ordinary skilled and unskilled workers do not qualify.

VISA INELIGIBILITY / WAIVER

The nonimmigrant visa application Form DS-156 lists classes of persons who are ineligible under U.S. law to receive visas. In some instances an applicant who is ineligible, but who is otherwise properly classifiable as a treaty trader or treaty investor, may apply for a waiver of ineligibility and be issued a visa if the waiver request is approved.

HOW TO APPLY FOR THE VISA

Applicants for visas should generally apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over their place of permanent residence. Although visa applicants may apply at any U.S. consular office abroad, it may be more difficult to qualify for the visa outside the country of permanent residence.

Required Documentation

Each applicant for the visa must pay a nonrefundable US$100 application fee and submit:

1) An application Form DS-156E, completed and signed. Blank forms are available without charge at all U.S. consular offices;

2) A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States. If more than one person is included in the passport, each person desiring a visa must make an application;

3) One (1) 2x2 photograph. See the required photo format explained in nonimmigrant photograph requirements.

4) All male nonimmigrant visa applicants between the ages of 16 and 45, regardless of nationality and regardless of where they apply, must complete and submit a form DS-157 in addition to the Nonimmigrant Visa Application (DS-156E).

Optional Documentation

An applicant for a Treaty Trader (E-1) or Treaty Investor (E-2) visa must first establish that the trading enterprise or investment enterprise meets the requirements of the law. The consular officer will provide the applicant with special forms for this purpose. An applicant may also be asked to provide evidence, which illustrates that the stay in the U.S. will be temporary. It is impossible to specify the exact form the evidence should take since applicants' circumstances vary greatly.

U.S. PORT OF ENTRY

Applicants should be aware that a visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. The U.S. Directorate of Border and Transportation Security in the Department of Homeland Security has authority to deny admission. Also, the period for which the bearer of a treaty trader or investor visa is authorized to remain in the United States is determined by the Directorate of Border and Transportation Security, not the consular officer. At the port of entry, a Directorate of Border and Transportation Security official validates Form I-94, Record of Arrival-Departure, which notes the length of stay permitted. Those persons who wish to stay beyond the time indicated on their Form I-94 must contact the Directorate of Border and Transportation Security to request Form I-539, Application to Extend Status. The decision to grant or deny a request for extension of stay is made solely by the Directorate of Border and Transportation Security.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Family Members

Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age, regardless of nationality, may receive derivative E visas in order to accompany the principal alien. Dependents are not authorized to work in the United States.

Time Limits

Holders of E visas may reside in the United States as long as they continue to maintain their status with the enterprise.

FURTHER INQUIRIES

Questions on qualifications for various classifications and visa application procedures should be made to the American consular office abroad where the applicant intends to apply. Questions on conditions and limitations on employment should be made to the local BCIS office.

Visa Services
November 2002

Last edited by Patrick; May 12th 2003 at 1:32 pm.