Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I am officially exasperated....

I am officially exasperated....

Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:09 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am officially exasperated....

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
TV sucks, turn it off.
What !!! and miss Billy Mays ....
Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:17 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Towards the end, right before I decided to quit watching, I nearly shot my TV because of him. It was shortly after that I decided my life would be better off without the crapbox. My wife thinks I'm a little crazy, but really, if I invited people into my home and they spoke to me in the manner that the TV idiots do, I would throw them out. So why should I subject myself to it voluntarily, and earn them money for the "privilege" of being insulted?
Old Nov 21st 2007, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britinsac
What irks me the most is these namby pamby bloody mannequin dolls (and I include the men in this) who just because they are a (w)anchor think they are really something, preening and farting about. They spend more time flirting with each other and making inane, purile comments and giggling like cheerleaders than anything else. They wouldn't know news if it bit them on the arse.
I can't disagree, but those people aren't journalists and the station manager knows it. They weren't hired to be journalists. They were hired to be light entertainment performers. They're just doing what they were paid to do. About all you can do is complain to the station manager, but he cares more about selling ads to local businesses than breaking an important story. I gave up on watching local news long ago, for precisely the reasons you've described.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Believe me, I wouldn't miss.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

There was a murder near us a few weeks ago - an ex copper shot a bloke who'd been harassing him for 4 years - driving by his house daily and yelling insults, throwing things in his yard, etc. The newscaster expressed shock and awe that such a terrible thing could have happened, "I am speechless - why, why folks, did this happen?? WHAT is the world coming too??" This, despite the fact that it was obvious to any sane person that the turd should have been shot years earlier. How inane can you get? BTW - this morning's news on Yahoo - 77% of Americans are happy and yet - there is something missing....What? I thought. Do they lie awake at night wondering when someone'll come up with a single theory to explain the workings of the universe? Um, no - apparently a bigger car will do it.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I watched our local news this evening. The story was: 'Despite it being Thanksgiving there were no delays at Portland Jetport today, so we're going to hang around here anyway, talk to people about where they're flying, and hope that there might be some delays tomorrow for us to cover.'
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 3:40 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
I dont even bother turning the TV on anymore.
I used to...but as soon as the set flickered into life I would hear the words that would send my blood pressure through the roof and a cup of PG hurtling towards the screen

"Hi...I'm Sherrif John Bunnell"

I refuse to watch TV anymore on this continent until this twat has been exterminated.
Perhaps you should try changing channels. You use that little box with all the buttons on it - it's called a remote control.
If you can't figure it out your kids should be able to help.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 3:50 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Perhaps you should try changing channels. You use that little box with all the buttons on it - it's called a remote control.
Attached Thumbnails I am officially exasperated....-6a00c225266b2e8e1d00cdf7f342c3094f-500pi.jpg  
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:45 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You and I agree here as well. It's been around 5 years or so since I quit TV (99.9% anyway) and I don't miss a single minute. I remember being personally insulted by the local and national news, commercials and shows that were supposed to be entertaining to the point that I wasn't being entertained or informed, I was just getting angry. I HATE being talked to in a condescending manner, I HATE it when people attempt to manipulate my emotions, I HATE it when people try to convince me I need to purchase their crappy product using copy that makes no sense whatsoever and I hate it even more when they DEMAND it. The "news" is written to appeal to the basest sectors of human character, it's nothing more than a live action freakshow designed to sell advertising.

TV sucks, turn it off.
So I'm not alone feeling insulted by it
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:08 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I thought that using a remote control and possessing one was a given in the male gender?! I have found it's not nationality specific,
Old Nov 25th 2007, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I watched House last night for the first time last night ( my Mom's here). Irony of Hugh Laurie as a Yank talking to a Brit patient.
I believe I am with the rest of you,The woman annoucers all have long bloody hair and a phony pearly white grin all you can see are their teeth.And Botox cheeks which makes them have a hard time really smiling.
BBC News is very good.At lerast its not in your face and BOOM BOOM BOOM
it covers the world with class.
Me I love to watch Kingdom on PBS with Stephen Fry nice little story out of Norfolk.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. I wonder if there isn't some truth to the theory that the Midwest may be a bit different. Here are the local news anchors for the channel I watch - doubt there's much botox there. (Possible exception with the blonde whose tan looks a bit much to me.)

Not that I can't relate to the teaser stories.
Attached Thumbnails I am officially exasperated....-fox-19.jpg  
Old Nov 25th 2007, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Brit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really nice

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Interesting. I wonder if there isn't some truth to the theory that the Midwest may be a bit different. Here are the local news anchors for the channel I watch - doubt there's much botox there. (Possible exception with the blonde whose tan looks a bit much to me.)

Those people actually look semi-normal, I'm impressed. They've had some serious dental work done, but that's to be expected in America.

Unnaturally tightened skin around the eyes and botox lips give me the creeps.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 1:36 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007

The Midwest accent is deemed to be the most neutral and easily understood American accent, hence a plus for newscasters, ie Tom Brokaw.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
The Midwest accent is deemed to be the most neutral and easily understood American accent, hence a plus for newscasters, ie Tom Brokaw.
Ah - that may explain why a co-worker of mine who is from N. Carolina tells me I sound like a news anchor on the phone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.