Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I am mulling over a move to LA and have some questions

I am mulling over a move to LA and have some questions

Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am mulling over a move to LA and have some questions

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Well, SF would be slightly more European and slightly more like Amsterdam (certainly liberal enough) but Louisiana?!
Well, the title of the thread is "mulling over a move to LA" which could be Los Angeles or Louisiana ...

... but the actual post asks about San Francisco ...

... actually I think I see what happened - the title was just copied across from the original thread that this one was split from ...
Old Mar 7th 2010, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Good analysis. Also - there is a pretty decent light rail that has been implemented recently, so if you were able to live and work close to it, that could help. There's a strong 'beach' culture there too - Venice, Santa Monica, etc. But you are going to have to pay big bucks to live anywhere near any decent area.

Rabit stew sounds like a good avenue for Basil ...
Dude!! That's a bit mean, poor Basil
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Dude!! That's a bit mean, poor Basil
Anyone who would adjust his/her future living plans around a specific rabbit needs a bit of a reality slap and that was the purpose of my comment . If you are going to bring up ... 'all living things ...' etc, then let's talk about rabbits, chickens, cows, sheep, etc raised for food . He can go rescue a rabbit from a shelter here to make up for the balance of nature he upset by leaving Basil at home ...
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Well, SF would be slightly more European and slightly more like Amsterdam (certainly liberal enough) ...
And, er ... just slightly better weather, and maybe a few other positives
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be safe to say that San Francisco is slightly (but only slightly) less unlike Amsterdam than Los Angeles - except for the hills - the change in elevation over one city block in San Francisco can easily exceed anything that occurs in nature in the Netherlands ...
Old Mar 7th 2010, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by md95065
I think it would be safe to say that San Francisco is slightly (but only slightly) less unlike Amsterdam than Los Angeles - except for the hills - the change in elevation over one city block in San Francisco can easily exceed anything that occurs in nature in the Netherlands ...
Ah yes, the hills! - I forgot that Amsterdam is as flat as a pancake! One might also mention medical marijuana and a generally liberal approach to drugs in SF - should make an Amsterdam boy feel at home

I've only been to Amsterdam once, but other than the typically gorgeous European architecture, there was nothing to draw me back. Give me Italy/Spain/Portugal any day! Cold, wet, flat - and that's just the people
Old Mar 8th 2010, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who would adjust his/her future living plans around a specific rabbit needs a bit of a reality slap and that was the purpose of my comment . If you are going to bring up ... 'all living things ...' etc, then let's talk about rabbits, chickens, cows, sheep, etc raised for food . He can go rescue a rabbit from a shelter here to make up for the balance of nature he upset by leaving Basil at home ...
True enough, I'll give him my son's Goldfish for free if he wants.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

And, er ... just slightly better weather, and maybe a few other positives
Nah. SF summers can be miserable weather-wise, the place has appalling public transport compared to almost any major European city, it's expensive in almost every way, and is so utterly mismanaged that I sometimes feel like selling up and leaving.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wordfool
Nah. SF summers can be miserable weather-wise, the place has appalling public transport compared to almost any major European city, it's expensive in almost every way, and is so utterly mismanaged that I sometimes feel like selling up and leaving.
... but it's still better than Los Angeles ...
Old Mar 8th 2010, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, the title of the thread is "mulling over a move to LA" which could be Los Angeles or Louisiana ...
I don't think anyone assumes 'LA' is Louisiana, do they? I mean ... yes, LA is the correct abbreviation for Louisiana, but "LA" means Los Angeles in any normal/casual context.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I lived in SF for about 12 years, and gave up on it for similar reasons (the homeless situation and the fog were the two biggies). But I simply moved out to Walnut Creek, which I absolutely adore. The weather is great, and the downtown is unbelievable for food (and shopping, though I'm no shopper). When living in 'the City', my buddies and I would all mock the East Bay (especially Walnut Creek and San Ramon) but when my girlfriend finally dragged me out there, I fell in love with the place. I would rate it as one of the best cities in the country. The commute into the city is great (BART, 35 mins) but the commute to San Mateo (where my CA office is now) sucks.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 1:44 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I like to spend a couple of days there and thats my lot I have had enough.

I lived in SF for about 12 years, and gave up on it for similar reasons (the homeless situation and the fog were the two biggies). But I simply moved out to Walnut Creek, which I absolutely adore. The weather is great, and the downtown is unbelievable for food (and shopping, though I'm no shopper). When living in 'the City', my buddies and I would all mock the East Bay (especially Walnut Creek and San Ramon) but when my girlfriend finally dragged me out there, I fell in love with the place. I would rate it as one of the best cities in the country. The commute into the city is great (BART, 35 mins) but the commute to San Mateo (where my CA office is now) sucks.
Walnut Creek is indeed a lovely part of the country I would recommend it to anyone, I love to have a stroll around, especially like Diablo foods

Last edited by Poppy girl; Mar 8th 2010 at 1:47 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

... but it's still better than Los Angeles ...
LA does have a few things going for it that SF doesn't. I also think (in my very limited experience) LA might have better public transport when you consider its size. The few times I've taken the bus there it's certainly worked out well and was a better (and cheaper) experience than dealing with MUNI.

The problem with SF is that it promises so much but ends up delivering so little. In the first few years the city is fun, pretty and nice to explore, then for the next few years you get a weird feeling that something is not quite right as you shiver while waiting (and waiting) for a bus in July, and then eventually the city's somewhat parochial nature, poor governance and its annoying liberal bubble people finally push you over the edge.

I like to call SF a good "starter city" for newbs to cut their teeth on. It just doesn't have the political or cultural vitality of a "real" city IMO.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

LA does have a few things going for it that SF doesn't. I also think (in my very limited experience) LA might have better public transport when you consider its size. The few times I've taken the bus there it's certainly worked out well and was a better (and cheaper) experience than dealing with MUNI.

The problem with SF is that it promises so much but ends up delivering so little. In the first few years the city is fun, pretty and nice to explore, then for the next few years you get a weird feeling that something is not quite right as you shiver while waiting (and waiting) for a bus in July, and then eventually the city's somewhat parochial nature, poor governance and its annoying liberal bubble people finally push you over the edge.

I like to call SF a good "starter city" for newbs to cut their teeth on. It just doesn't have the political or cultural vitality of a "real" city IMO.
I'd agree that SF 'promises so much', and under-delivers, in terms of a place to settle and live. It is a fabulous place to start if you are from Europe because it really is perhaps the most European of all larger US cities with an extremely dense population, and (I have to disagree with you here) - a pretty extensive public transportation system.

It is ridiculously grid-locked in its politics; the liberal/renter crowd won't let anything pass that would do anything tangible to the homeless situation, or to the housing situation. Rent control has proven to be a failure but no one will get rid of it.

However - now that I no longer live or work within the city limits, I do love visiting; either on a weekend for some good food, or to take out-of-town visitors on tourist trips. The place really is drop-dead-gorgeous, when you consider the fact it has ocean and bay on two sides, and the Golden Gate bridge on the third. Then you have twin-peaks smack in the middle, and the G.G. Park, and the Presidio Park, and acres of fabulous mansions along Broadway near the Presidio. Living there is what sucks; living 30 minutes away is just right!

I would disagree in that I believe it DOES have the cultural diversity of a 'real' city - whites are only 40% of the population ... it has a massive Chinese/Korean/Vietnamese/Filipino/Japanese crowd, and a large hispanic crowd.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

I'd agree that SF 'promises so much', and under-delivers, in terms of a place to settle and live. It is a fabulous place to start if you are from Europe because it really is perhaps the most European of all larger US cities with an extremely dense population, and (I have to disagree with you here) - a pretty extensive public transportation system.

It is ridiculously grid-locked in its politics; the liberal/renter crowd won't let anything pass that would do anything tangible to the homeless situation, or to the housing situation. Rent control has proven to be a failure but no one will get rid of it.

However - now that I no longer live or work within the city limits, I do love visiting; either on a weekend for some good food, or to take out-of-town visitors on tourist trips. The place really is drop-dead-gorgeous, when you consider the fact it has ocean and bay on two sides, and the Golden Gate bridge on the third. Then you have twin-peaks smack in the middle, and the G.G. Park, and the Presidio Park, and acres of fabulous mansions along Broadway near the Presidio. Living there is what sucks; living 30 minutes away is just right!

I would disagree in that I believe it DOES have the cultural diversity of a 'real' city - whites are only 40% of the population ... it has a massive Chinese/Korean/Vietnamese/Filipino/Japanese crowd, and a large hispanic crowd.
I agree it has an extensive transportation system, but it's one that is hopelessly run and just doesn't work. Considering the geographical size of the city (small) and population density there is absolutely no excuse for public transport to be so unreliable and for it to take so long to cross the city (I averaged about 7mph when I commuted downtown on the bus).

Culturally-speaking, I was referring more to arts-related culture. It is a very diverse city in terms of peoples, which really is one of its saving graces, but when I first moved here I thought this must be a place with a vibrant arts community. Alas no... not really much going on outside the weird hippy/gay fringe, unless I'm missing something (I must admit I gave up looking years ago). The few major institutions are simply not world class. Even mid-sized music venues are disappearing fast.

Last edited by wordfool; Mar 9th 2010 at 12:36 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.