Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I am mulling over a move to LA and have some questions

I am mulling over a move to LA and have some questions

Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

cowtowntaff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am mulling over a move to LA and have some questions

Hi all. The missus could have a too-good-to-turn-down chance to move to LA with work (she is Canadian) and I've got a few question maybe you guys can help with.

Am I going to find it any easier as a Brit to immigrate with a Canadian spouse? I've only just started looking into things and it looks like I might have to be a resident for 3 months before I start to work? We are in the Netherlands right now and my company here does have a small office in LA and they said they can try and make things work for me, is that the better way to go?

Of course the most important thing to me is my pet rabbit Basil. I'd really like to take him with me. Pretty much every link I've found on google wants me to buy an immigration guide for $50 so does anyone have any advice? Is there a quarantine period or is it all just paperwork.

Finally I love an outdoors life which is why I like Amsterdam. I cycle everywhere and hate driving places. I'm worried that LA is going to be a concrete jungle and not really be for me, but some people have mentioned places like Santa Monica are better than downtown LA. Can I still live a European way of life and get away with it

Any help will be really appreciated, thanks!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:15 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am mulling over a move to LA and have some questions

No idea mate but I love Basil
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Basil certainly is a cutie

We had a pet rabbit in the UK, but we decided not to bring him over to the US - rabbits being such potentially stressy little creatures, we decided it was probably best not to subject him to the trauma of a long flight.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:28 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Basil certainly is a cutie

We had a pet rabbit in the UK, but we decided not to bring him over to the US - rabbits being such potentially stressy little creatures, we decided it was probably best not to subject him to the trauma of a long flight.
Agreed I had a dwarf bunny that lived in the house, and Lulu passed away one summers eve when we put her in a super duper, customized bunny hutch, outside, we think the trauma of change killed her
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Agreed I had a dwarf bunny that lived in the house, and Lulu passed away one summers eve when we put her in a super duper, customized bunny hutch, outside, we think the trauma of change killed her
Oh no - that's so sad...

It could well have been the trauma of the change - when we re-home Fluffy (original name, huh!) with my friend we passed over all his kit, including a pretty tatty hutch. My friend told me they bought a smart new one and Fluffy simply wouldn't take to it - went off his food and started loosing his fur! In the end, they moved him back into his tatty hutch and he was fine!

They really don't like change...
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by rebs
Oh no - that's so sad...

It could well have been the trauma of the change - when we re-home Fluffy (original name, huh!) with my friend we passed over all his kit, including a pretty tatty hutch. My friend told me they bought a smart new one and Fluffy simply wouldn't take to it - went off his food and started loosing his fur! In the end, they moved him back into his tatty hutch and he was fine!

They really don't like change...
Look's like Basil needs to keep his clogs on then.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cowtowntaff
Hi all. The missus could have a too-good-to-turn-down chance to move to LA with work (she is Canadian) and I've got a few question maybe you guys can help with.

Am I going to find it any easier as a Brit to immigrate with a Canadian spouse? I've only just started looking into things and it looks like I might have to be a resident for 3 months before I start to work? We are in the Netherlands right now and my company here does have a small office in LA and they said they can try and make things work for me, is that the better way to go?

Of course the most important thing to me is my pet rabbit Basil. I'd really like to take him with me. Pretty much every link I've found on google wants me to buy an immigration guide for $50 so does anyone have any advice? Is there a quarantine period or is it all just paperwork.

Finally I love an outdoors life which is why I like Amsterdam. I cycle everywhere and hate driving places. I'm worried that LA is going to be a concrete jungle and not really be for me, but some people have mentioned places like Santa Monica are better than downtown LA. Can I still live a European way of life and get away with it

Depend on what visa the company gets her ....sod the bleedin rabbit
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Aside from the rabbit issue, I'm not sure if it's easier if your wife is a Canadian citizen (I'm sure someone who knows more about that will be along soon...) - do you know what visa she will move on - that will determine your work eligibility prospects.

My husband came over on an L1A visa and I was able to apply for an EAD (Employment Authorisation) as soon as got here - I couldn't work until I had that.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Despite being cute the rabbit is a tough cookie because he's been bought up free-range, not hutched. I'll talk to a vet and see if the journey is going to be too much for him. Has anyone downloaded on of these pdf pet immigration guides though? Should I be paying for it?

Ray, I am hoping that her company might handle the immigration paperwork and get me in too. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:54 pm

Despite being cute the rabbit is a tough cookie because he's been bought up free-range, not hutched. I'll talk to a vet and see if the journey is going to be too much for him. Has anyone downloaded on of these pdf pet immigration guides though? Should I be paying for it?

Ray, I am hoping that her company might handle the immigration paperwork and get me in too. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...ion/eu-reg.htm

This might have some info its for the EU not just the UK.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_wel...t_travel.shtml

Call the Airline most importantly to see if Basil can fly with them.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jan 8th 2010 at 6:59 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

The work possibilities for her might include H1 (but no more this year unless cap exempt), L1, and TN. I say might include since you give no indication of what the job is or what her qualifications are. Assuming she qualifies and can get one of these, she's good to go. If she is the primary, then you could get an L2, H4, or TD visa. Only an L2 would allow you to work, though. You'd be a kept man with an H4 or TD. Perhaps your company could swing an L1 transfer for you to Los Angeles, but more details are required.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply Bill. She is an advertising creative, an award-winner and one of the worldwide leaders in her field and has a masters in her profession. I don't know if there are visas most suitable for that because I'm only just looking into it myself.

On my side, I am university educated and I'm a video editor. I have some decent credits to back me up and my company is in the same field, advertising and post production. Can you put me in the right direction for info on the L1 visa?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:37 pm

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...n_the_USA#Work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-1_visa
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks PG
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Nope it makes no difference what your nationality is to USCIS you're either foreign or you're not. The only thing Canadians have that Europeans don't immigration wise, is their qualifications are readily recognized here (healthcare qualifications aside)

Well from having friends that moved to LA it is pretty much a concrete jungle but not like New York. Lot of low to medium density development as far as the eye can see. Nothing in the way of nature outside the shores and parks

Replies are in red. Off-topic but how do Brits moving to L.A. manage to find a house they can afford when most are around $400,000 in a nice neighborhood?

Last edited by chrisfromusa; Jan 8th 2010 at 9:14 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.