Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I am moving from the UK to Chicago in Jan - any tips?

I am moving from the UK to Chicago in Jan - any tips?

Old Sep 17th 2010, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Chicagobound2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am moving from the UK to Chicago in Jan - any tips?

Hi,

My partner and I are in our late 20's early 30's & moving to Chicago in January because my company is opening an office in the US - we are both really excited about the opportunity but equally apprehensive as we will be leaving all our family and friends behind in the UK.

Does anyone have any experiences of their own that they could share with us? Any tips on good neighbourhoods to live in, meeting people and making new friends?

We really want to make the most of this opportunity and would be greatful if anyone could offer us some advice!

Thanks
Old Sep 17th 2010, 1:58 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am moving from the UK to Chicago in Jan - any tips?

Originally Posted by Chicagobound2011
Hi,

My partner and I are in our late 20's early 30's & moving to Chicago in January

Thanks
Bring a jacket.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:14 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Bring a jacket.
Hey, that's what I was going to say!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE

May I suggest that you do a generalized search in the USA forum for Chicago. It has been talked about a bit here and there

Also we have a good source of information provided by our members called "Wiki" and the link is posted at the top of the screen. I took the liberty of looking it up for you:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...ois_City_Guide

Also in the wiki is lots of information re: credit cards, rentals/buying housing, getting a vehicle (buy outright or lease); getting a bank account opened, etc.

Glad you are excited about moving to Chicago and do hope you have the appropriate winter survival clothing.

You mentioned your "partner". In the US that means a significant other who is not a spouse. Is this the case for you? If so, what visa is your SO coming to the US with? Are they a same sex partner?
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Chicagobound2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are married - L1 & L2 visas I think?

Does anyone know what Evanston is like as a neighbourhood?

Thanks
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Evanston is a college town. It used to be the home of the temperance movement but not so much these days. On the plus side the college in question is Northwestern one of the top unis in the country where the students are more likely found in the library studying on a weekend than watching the football team.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

seawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really nice

Thanks
We live there as it's only 20 minute train ride to Loop. Very nice, green, close to the lake, has a small-town feel to it with local stores.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Evanston is very nice as is Wilmette and most places north of the City on Route 32. Certainly good if you are bringing a family. If no kids then you might want to think about living closer to downtown - e.g. Lincoln Park and Uptown are areas with local communities offering plenty.

I have an apartment in Edgewater about 7 miles north of the City Centre close to Loyola which is also an OK community. Take heed from ABY's advice and make sure you bring some decent clothing otherwise you'll freeze your nuts/tits off in January.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

Retseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really nice

Our head office is up in Rosemont right by Chicago O'Hare so I'm familiar with the city.

I honestly can't say I'm a fan because it's freezing cold and windy as hell in the winter and sticky hot in the summer, but many love it, especially if you're into sports.

Just remember that Chicago <> USA, so when you're making those inevitable judgements, good or bad, bear in mind that the part is not representative of the whole.

Now this last part really is my personal 2 penneth, but if you over-focus on how much you miss seeing your friends and relatives every day/week you're already on a downward spiral, you have to take that for granted and deal with it, if you can't, then you'll never be happy, like I said, just a personal opinion.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 5:51 pm
Banned

Stirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to all

Good luck in Chicago. I could never live anywhere so close to Canada. Way too cold and windy.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 6:02 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

P85 form when you leave the UK
Craigslist to find accomo and almost anything else
Do searches on this site re car insurance and banking/credit cards so you can try and get ready before you come over.
Big, really big coats.
Chicago is a good city, I am sure you will enjoy the experience.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

seawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
P85 form when you leave the UK
Craigslist to find accomo and almost anything else
Do searches on this site re car insurance and banking/credit cards so you can try and get ready before you come over.
Big, really big coats.
Chicago is a good city, I am sure you will enjoy the experience.
Not necessarily big coats are needed, but you do want 600/650+ down fill power otherwise you'll freeze.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 11:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Get decent boots and jacket and shovel to clear all that snow...and Ibuprofen, because it's a massive ballache

Good luck!
Old Sep 18th 2010, 1:11 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
... and Ibuprofen, because it's a massive ballache
Hmm... I think you might be doing it incorrectly! Most people shovel with their hands/arms!

Ian
Old Sep 18th 2010, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Hi,

My partner and I are in our late 20's early 30's & moving to Chicago in January because my company is opening an office in the US - we are both really excited about the opportunity but equally apprehensive as we will be leaving all our family and friends behind in the UK.

Does anyone have any experiences of their own that they could share with us? Any tips on good neighbourhoods to live in, meeting people and making new friends?

We really want to make the most of this opportunity and would be greatful if anyone could offer us some advice!

Thanks
Well my first thought was exactly the same as most of the other posters on here. Bring your thermal underwear!

Actually, don't bring it with you, get it over here since retailers in the US are used to selling clothes to residents of f***ing cold places whereas in the UK you just have clothes to get you through a little cold snap. And I'm not sure you could ever call a Chicago winter a 'cold snap'

That being said I've two friends who have independently said that Chicago has been their favourite place to live in the US and they've lived all over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.