Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I am a Millionaire

I am a Millionaire

Old Mar 13th 2006, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am a Millionaire

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Interest-only loans for investment purposes are great in many cases, its not the banks fault if you don;t understand the terms and structure a plan around the payment terms.

forget amount amortization, just re-fi into another interest only.
It's not so much the terms of the loan but the fact that borrowers are betting on appreciation continuing at the rate of the past few years. If that doesn't happen (and I don't see how it can in the 'bubble' areas where the biggest profusion of interest-free loans have been taken out), they're likely not going to be able to re-finance into any sort of loan - they'll be upside down on their exisitng loan. I do agree that of course that's the borrower's fault, but the general health of the property market is going to suffer down the road as a result of the lax lending standards of the past few years that has allowed people to take such bets. There are very sound reasons why lenders traditionally have required both downpayments and loans to amortize.

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN

My goal is to eventually own 15 investment duplexes and have them fully paid off

in my area this would give me a net income after property taxes/income taxes/hazard insurance/repairs/vacancies of about $150k per year which is when i would be very happy about terminating my corporate job
Whereas in a lot of CA you won't get back through rent more than 50% of the interest, taxes, insurance and maintenance on a property you buy today. That probably tells you exactly how out of whack CA house prices have become in relation to rents (and incomes).

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 13th 2006 at 12:34 am.