Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I am a Millionaire

Wikiposts

I am a Millionaire

Old Mar 11th 2006, 3:52 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am a Millionaire

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
...along with the potential for enormous debts/bankruptcy, etc.

NC Penguin
But you have the choice...
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:24 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Do you do the work yourself ??
What work? I sign various papers that my legal representative has ok'd. Money turns up in my bank at some point in the future.

I suppose I could go and cut some bits of 2x4 or wield a hammer but why bother? Its far too hot for that kind of thing.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:34 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
...along with the potential for enormous debts/bankruptcy, etc.

NC Penguin
No pain, no gain.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 12:27 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Theres a good programme on TV called Property Ladder that follows first time "developers" buying houses to fix up and sell. We got into the UK version last year when we were back and it was pretty good - good tips, hints, advice etc. Theres also a US version thats along similar lines, but nowhere near as good. Interesting thing on the UK version was that a lot of the people were making money despite themselves...ie if they'd done nothing to the property, they'd still have made money because of the rising property market.....some of them actually reduced their profit by working on the houses!!!
Old Mar 11th 2006, 1:31 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Theres a good programme on TV called Property Ladder that follows first time "developers" buying houses to fix up and sell. We got into the UK version last year when we were back and it was pretty good - good tips, hints, advice etc. Theres also a US version thats along similar lines, but nowhere near as good. Interesting thing on the UK version was that a lot of the people were making money despite themselves...ie if they'd done nothing to the property, they'd still have made money because of the rising property market.....some of them actually reduced their profit by working on the houses!!!
Aye - lots of them completely ignored the advice the experts were giving them but still made a substantial profit cos of the appreciation in property value despite their work.
Just shows you how easy the property game has been in the UK for the past 10/15 years.
Shame I'm only finding that out now.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:53 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Patrick is know in other parts as Peter Rachman.......

Google if you don't know the name

Yes, Yes, Yes, slumlording here we come!

In certain markets in the US there is great income potential form buying property and renting it out.

A good credit score and 20% down makes life pretty easy for the budding slum lord
Old Mar 11th 2006, 3:16 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Aye - lots of them completely ignored the advice the experts were giving them but still made a substantial profit cos of the appreciation in property value despite their work.
Yeah and the ones that screwed up worst, came out best - remember one that decided he was going ot do all the work himself in 2 months....after knocking this house about for 8 months, finally admitted he couldn't do it. Called in the experts to fix it, and made a killing cos he had almost a years appreciation instead of just 2 months.......which comes onto someone elses question about DIY or getting in experts - the presenter of Property ladder UK is firmly in the "if you're not good at what needs doing get someone in who is, rather than try to muddle through yourself" camp....although in this particular case, she may have been wrong!
Old Mar 11th 2006, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
But you have the choice...
Indeed, and a lot of people have chosen a financial path that leaves them with a high probability of foreclosure and/or bankruptcy down the road once these 100% Interest-only loans start amortizing. Works well whilst property prices were increasing at the rate they have been doing in the last few years, but as soon as house prices start to stagnate or decline (and it's starting to happen in some of the more "bubbly" areas) some serious shit is going to hit the fan.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
Well a debt millionaire at least, we closed on our fourth house today and if all the banks knocked on my door tomorrow wanting their money I would have to find a million dollars. How do I face the fact I have more debt than the total amount of money I have ever earned in my life - well we are hoping to write a contract on another house tomorrow!

BTW if anyone wants a rental I have 2 houses currently empty, anyone, anyone, no OK then.

Translation just for Ironporer - whine, I can't beleive I owe so much money, its all George Bush's fault - what a crap place america is letting me get into so much debt. whine

It's a fab feeling, isnt it....really shows that the world's your oyster. ......now start aiming for the 5 or 10 mill mark!!

Re renting - have u tried Craigs list?
Old Mar 11th 2006, 11:02 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
It's a fab feeling, isnt it....really shows that the world's your oyster. ......now start aiming for the 5 or 10 mill mark!!

Re renting - have u tried Craigs list?
Thanks for the suggestion but they are beach properties - thats why they are so expensive. I wrote a contract on another house, not at the beach, yesterday. It is freaking me out all this debt so I am thinking of flipping them.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
Thanks for the suggestion but they are beach properties - thats why they are so expensive. I wrote a contract on another house, not at the beach, yesterday. It is freaking me out all this debt so I am thinking of flipping them.
I completely understand how u must be feeling - hence u being on the board at this ungodly hour on a sunday.

Have u considered focussing on the outgoings/repayments rather than the actual amount of debt? This can help - all u need to be able to do is service your mortgage/expenses.....and if these are tight, sometimes all it takes is a few tweaks. (For me, my sacrifice is shoes & clothes. Id rather be a millionaire on paper than be wearing high fashion.)

These are exciting times! It seems to me as though you have obviously reached the "millionaire" goal, and are now feeling apprehensive....not just about the figure, but also that u have achieved a major goal in your life.

(sending u smiles - costs money )
Old Mar 12th 2006, 4:59 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Indeed, and a lot of people have chosen a financial path that leaves them with a high probability of foreclosure and/or bankruptcy down the road once these 100% Interest-only loans start amortizing. Works well whilst property prices were increasing at the rate they have been doing in the last few years, but as soon as house prices start to stagnate or decline (and it's starting to happen in some of the more "bubbly" areas) some serious shit is going to hit the fan.

Interest-only loans for investment purposes are great in many cases, its not the banks fault if you don;t understand the terms and structure a plan around the payment terms.

forget amount amortization, just re-fi into another interest only.

My goal is to eventually own 15 investment duplexes and have them fully paid off

in my area this would give me a net income after property taxes/income taxes/hazard insurance/repairs/vacancies of about $150k per year which is when i would be very happy about terminating my corporate job

Good on you Patrick, I wish you the best of luck
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:04 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

I remember shitting myself when I signed for my first mortgage of £46,754 at $1,000,000 I think I'd have passed out, good luck to you remember me in your Will
Old Mar 12th 2006, 10:13 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Interest-only loans for investment purposes are great in many cases, its not the banks fault if you don;t understand the terms and structure a plan around the payment terms.

forget amount amortization, just re-fi into another interest only.

My goal is to eventually own 15 investment duplexes and have them fully paid off

in my area this would give me a net income after property taxes/income taxes/hazard insurance/repairs/vacancies of about $150k per year which is when i would be very happy about terminating my corporate job

Good on you Patrick, I wish you the best of luck
How do all you property barons rent your homes out - yourselves or via an agent ???
Old Mar 12th 2006, 10:38 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Thydney
I remember shitting myself when I signed for my first mortgage of £46,754 at $1,000,000 I think I'd have passed out, good luck to you remember me in your Will
That was either a grade A listed Elizabethan Mansion somewhere up north of a grubby broom closet in London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.