Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I am 24 - what happens regarding my pension if I move?

I am 24 - what happens regarding my pension if I move?

Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:10 am
Just Joined

kingmustard is an unknown quantity at this point
Question I am 24 - what happens regarding my pension if I move?

To be honest, I'm not sure how pensions even work in the UK or USA.

Just a few questions really, if that's ok?:
  • Will I have trouble with my state pension if I move to the USA?
  • Will my state pension transfer over to continue with in the USA?
  • Will I have to start a new one in the USA?
  • What about if I start a work-based pension whilst in the UK before I move?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am 24 - what happens regarding my pension if I move?

In a nutshell.

1. No, but it depends on what you mean by trouble.
2. Yes, if you mean will they pay it to you once you reach retirement age and you qualify for it. In your case, you probably won't be eligible for a UK pension.
3. You'll probably want to do a retirement savings plan, although it's not as simple as a pension. 401k, 403b, IRA, plus others depending on your situation. Chances are it will be 100% or close to 100% funded by you.
4. It will still be there, and gaining or losing value, until you reach retirement age and can claim it.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you move to the US at the age of 24 or soon after, and do not continue to pay your National Insurance contributions in the UK, you will have very little (or perhaps no) State Pension to worry about.

You can contact the Pensions Board in the UK to arrange for continuation of contributions while abroad.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You can contact the Pensions Board in the UK to arrange for continuation of contributions while abroad.
can only bung in for a few years though for part of the contributions, and at this age it might not be worth it if he can't contribute enough to get anything worth while out of it. Worth looking over the figures at least.