Reload this Page >

I-94 duration

I-94 duration

Old Aug 5th 2002, 1:44 pm
mak
Just Joined

mak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-94 duration

Recently I got my L2 visa in London valid up to Dec, 2002. My spouse's L1 visa is valid up to Dec, 2002 and the I-94 valid up to Dec 2004 (as approved in the I-797). Though I presented the copies of my spouse's I-94 and I-797 to the embassy, they issued my visa until Dec, 2002 only. I am planning to enter the US on my L2 soon and understand that my I-94 will be issued only until Dec, 2002 based on my visa validaity.

Is it possible to get my I-94 valid until Dec, 2004 - ie same date as my spouse's I-94? Do I have to show copies of my spouse's I-94 and I-797 approval at the POE to get this?

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks..
Old Aug 5th 2002, 7:20 pm
Sylvia Ottemoel

Default Re: I-94 duration

mak wrote:

> Recently I got my L2 visa in London valid up to Dec, 2002. My spouse's L1 visa is
    > valid up to Dec, 2002 and the I-94 valid up to Dec 2004 (as approved in the I-797).
    > Though I presented the copies of my spouse's I-94 and I-797 to the embassy, they
    > issued my visa until Dec, 2002 only. I am planning to enter the US on my L2 soon
    > and understand that my I-94 will be issued only until Dec, 2002 based on my visa
    > validaity.

And where did you get that understanding?

> Is it possible to get my I-94 valid until Dec, 2004 - ie same date as my spouse's
    > I-94? Do I have to show copies of my spouse's I-94 and I-797 approval at the POE to
    > get this?

In general, a visa stamp merely gives you a window of opportunity to present
yourself at the border of the U.S. and ask to be admitted in a status. The
expiration date of the visa stamp is irrelevant to the expiration date of the status
to which you may be entitled.

You are entitled to a December 2004 expiration date on your I-94. The expiration of
the L-2 visa stamp is *irrelevant* to the I-94 expiration date, although INS officers
at the port of entry can be unaware of this, and give the wrong expiration date.

If your passport expires early, then an expiration date earlier than December 2004
will be put on your I-94.

You should carry the *original* I-797 approval notice of your spouse's L-1 petition,
as well as a photocopy of the complete petition, with you, to show to the INS officer
if you are asked. Your spouse's I-94 is irrelevant.

If you get the wrong date on the I-94, very politely insist on seeing a supervisor.
Use the word "insist." When you see the supervisor, ask for the December 2004
expiration date.