British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I-94 and and Application for CA Driving License CA - DMV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-94-application-ca-driving-license-ca-dmv-860485/)

wolfft Jun 21st 2015 3:46 am

I-94 and and Application for CA Driving License CA - DMV

Hi,

On Friday my wife and i went to the DMV office in LA for an appointment to apply for our Californian Driving license. I, being a USC applied without a problem. However my wife who is in the uS on an immigrant visa (CR1 visa) was told she needed to present an I-94 and should return with this. We've now tried to print hers out but it seems that the I-94 is only for non-immigrant visas. Is that correct? If so I'm assuming the DMV officer was wrong?

Thanks!

Michael Jun 21st 2015 3:55 am

Re: I-94 and and Application for CA Driving License CA - DMV

Originally Posted by wolfft (Post 11680603)
Hi,

On Friday my wife and i went to the DMV office in LA for an appointment to apply for our Californian Driving license. I, being a USC applied without a problem. However my wife who is in the uS on an immigrant visa (CR1 visa) was told she needed to present an I-94 and should return with this. We've now tried to print hers out but it seems that the I-94 is only for non-immigrant visas. Is that correct? If so I'm assuming the DMV officer was wrong?

Thanks!

The DMV person you talked to was wrong. Her I-551 stamp in her passport proves that she is a legal permanent resident.

Pulaski Jun 21st 2015 5:14 am

Originally Posted by wolfft (Post 11680603)
.... I'm assuming the DMV officer was wrong? ....

Unfortunately, that is all too often a good starting point for dealing with what the DMV tells you. :rofl:

Fatboyslick Jun 21st 2015 2:06 pm

Sorry to hijack the post but what are the steps for driving when moving from the UK to California

So far I've read that I've to apply within 10 days of landing there. I won't have a SSN for 3 months as I'm on a L2 visa but this is wavered.

Will I have to pass tests again and what happens if you miss or fail the test within this 10days and how hard is the test(s)

Pulaski Jun 21st 2015 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Fatboyslick (Post 11680866)
Sorry to hijack the post but what are the steps for driving when moving from the UK to California

So far I've read that I've to apply within 10 days of landing there. I won't have a SSN for 3 months as I'm on a L2 visa but this is wavered.

Will I have to pass tests again and what happens if you miss or fail the test within this 10days and how hard is the test(s)

The ten days is wildly practical for any immigrant, but you need to be able to show that you are using your best endeavors to obtain a license as soon as reasonably practical. You will probably be OK driving on your UK licence until then, but carry documentation to show that you have taken steps to obtain a local license, drive carefully, minimise unnecessary driving, and keep your :fingerscrossed:.

In the event that you are stopped or questioned by police so long as you are polite and respectful, and if asked, explain why you don't yet have a CA license, it is unlikely that you will experience a problem. ..... Under those circumstances I wouldn't admit to knowing about the "10 day limit".

Olly_ Jun 21st 2015 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Fatboyslick (Post 11680866)

You don't need to wait for your EAD to get your SSN - I applied for mine 10 days after arriving on an L2 and got it no problem at all. They did ask for my marriage certificate at the social security office - luckily I had it with me as there was no mention of them requiring it online...!

Michael Jun 21st 2015 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Olly_ (Post 11680933)
You don't need to wait for your EAD to get your SSN - I applied for mine 10 days after arriving on an L2 and got it no problem at all. They did ask for my marriage certificate at the social security office - luckily I had it with me as there was no mention of them requiring it online...!

+1

An EAD is not required to get a driver's license. Many spouses on L2 visa never get an EAD since they don't plan on working. If an EAD was required, H4 visa holders could never get a driver's license.

wolfft Jun 22nd 2015 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11680605)
The DMV person you talked to was wrong. Her I-551 stamp in her passport proves that she is a legal permanent resident.

That's what I thought! Thanks for confirming.