Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I-864 - London (sponsor without salary)

I-864 - London (sponsor without salary)

Old Jul 2nd 2002, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default I-864 - London (sponsor without salary)

I thought I'd take the time to post this, in case it is relevant to anyone else in the future.
I have my interview in London next week and I have a couple of doubts over the I-864 although I have covered myself, with a co-sponsor.
My US wife is obviously the main sponsor, however there are a
couple of potential "banana skins"

1/. We married in the US last year (September) and moved to the UK. Because my wife only worked 9 months of the tax year, her earnings did not reach the 125% and apparently the INS do note
"pro rata" her earnings.
However by adding my UK earnings that should be OK

2/. Because she is a hairdresser, she has no basic wage, she receives 50% of her "takings" + tips. (company policy)
Her returns for 1999 and 2000 covered the 125% and 2001 would
have done but for the reason in point 1/. above.
She has now returned to the States to "set up domicile" rent a
property, buy a car and has returned to her old job.
However her employer can't provide a letter saying that she earns
$xxxx per year, but are sending a letter stating that they see no reason why her earnings should not reach those of previous years.

As I said earlier I have covered us with co-sponsors, but will initially at the interview try to "get through" with out own I-864,
and only "pull the rabbit out of the hat" if I need to.

If there is anyone reading this who is or may be in a similar position, I will post the results of my interview at the end of next week.