I-864

Old Aug 7th 2002, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Rob S is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864

I am a UK citizen with a US spouse - we are in the latter stages of obtaining a visa and I have my interview on Sept.4th.
We will be relying on the proceeds of sale from our home in London to cover the income part of the application - these will be in my name.
My wife (who is already in the states) is a student and will have no income. She has completed I-864 and got it notarized but has been told by some INS official in the states that we should not file this but that I should file an I-864A in my own name.
I really don't want to fall at the last hurdle - so if anyone can offer guidance as to what the US Embassy in London will expect I would be grateful. Rob
Old Aug 7th 2002, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

Your wife has been given the wrong information. She, as the petitioner, *has* to file an I-864 - there is no way around this, even if she has no income.

Obviously, without any income, her I-864 will not be able to stand alone, and you will need either a co-sponsor (yourself or a US citizen resident in the US) or sufficient assets to make up any shortfall (5x what you would need for income)
Old Aug 7th 2002, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you

My assets will safely exceed the minimum required - do I fill in an I-864A with this information or will bank statements or a letter from my bank suffice?

Rob
Old Aug 7th 2002, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

You will need a valuation for your house (if it's not yet sold, obviously) - an estate agent's estimate is fine for this, it doesn't have to be from a surveyor (incredibly!). If your money is in the bank, then bank a bank statement is fine.

If you share the assets with your wife, then she should be able to incorporate it onto her I-864. If the assets are in your name only, then you will need a I-864a.

There's lots of useful explanations in the visa FAQ section of http://www.usembassy.org.uk
Old Aug 7th 2002, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much
Rob
Old Aug 7th 2002, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

I just checked the embassy FAQ's - they say the if you are relying on the immigrant spouses assets and s/he is the only immigrant - an I-864a isnot required!

I guess the best thing is to complete one and take it with me just in case.
Which leads to the next question - will the person conducting the interview notarize it there and then or should I get that done before?

Rob
Old Aug 7th 2002, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's good news then.

If you do decide to take an I-864A, you can have it notarised at the interview. I think they have dropped the charge for this now too.
Old Aug 7th 2002, 4:24 pm
Andy Platt

Default Re: I-864

Are the assets shared? If so she can just list it. I don't think you can use an
I-864A because you are not living in the same household any longer.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Rob S"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thank you
    > My assets will safely exceed the minimum required - do I fill in an I-864A with
    > this information or will bank statements or a letter from my bank suffice?
    > Rob
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 7th 2002, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Again, thank you.
rob
Old Aug 7th 2002, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

I did the a similar thing recently in London, except my wife has an income but I used the assets in my house (which was in my name only) to "top up her income"
We did need to sign an I-864A which as she wasn't at the interview, she had notarized in the US and sent to me.
Despite what the INS suggest about not selling property etc,
I did put my house on the market 3 weeks before the interview and accepted an offer.(subject to geting my visa)
So I took the estate agents details, my latest building society statement and the offer letter from the buyer.
This easily covered 5 times the shortfall in my wifes earnings.
Old Aug 8th 2002, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Roger, however I'm still confused.
My wife has completed an I-864 in the states and will get this notarized there & then send it to me in London.

Does she also have to complete an I-864A?

I have obtained an I-864A from the INS web-site and it doesn't even have a space for the information requested by the embassy.

The want information to confirm assets of 125% of the poverty level set out in the format of question 4e of the I-864 - which I had prepared on a word-processor and intended to attach to a bank statement (ny house should be sold by the time of the interview).

Also the FAQ on the embassy web-site expressly says that no I-864A is required.

Looking at the I-864A from the iNS web-site, I'm not sure this form is relevant - it appears to be for a third party acting as 'guarantor' to the sponsor.

Could you clarrify what you put on your I-864A
many thanks

Rob
Old Aug 8th 2002, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Rob
I've checked through my paperwork.
Paragraph 2 on the I-864A explains it all.
Sorry for the confusion, I had to file one ONLY because my
daughter is coming with me.
"A sponsored Immigrant who qualifies as a household member is only required to complete this form if he or she
has one or more family members immigrating with him/her"

The next paragraph about using assets means that you will
not need to file the I-864A

Sorry for any confusion.

Roger
Old Aug 8th 2002, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob
One other point (Just for the record)
I had a slight doubt about our I-864, long story and had
co-sponors "in the bottom of my bag" at the interview.

The co-sponsors were my brother and sister-in-law.
They acted as joint co-sponsors and as sush had to sign
the I-864A as a contract between themselves.

Fortunately I didn't need to use their co-sponsorship as my
I-864 was accepted.
But it was a great back up just in case, even though they had to do quite a lot of work.
We are having a ceremonial burning of their Affadavit when
I get to the US !

Roger
Old Aug 8th 2002, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Thank you that appears to correspond with the information that I received in Packets 3 & 4.
I guess the moral maybe just to follow what the info from the embassy says;-)

Rob
Old Aug 8th 2002, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Normally !!!