Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I-539 approval backlog and expired driving license

I-539 approval backlog and expired driving license

Old Oct 11th 2020, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-539 approval backlog and expired driving license

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed. My, admittedly limited, experience is that small offices in rural areas are easier to deal with, even if there is no "immigration paperwork angle" to whatever you're trying to do.

I was near a DMV office in the Charlotte, NC area last year and decided it was convenient to pop in to replace my drivers license with a new "Real ID" license, but they weren't very helpful and ended up going back to the DMV office near where I live, and found them more helpful, and the office was a lot less busy too.

A few years ago a colleague who lives in Charlotte reported that renewing his license took so long that he could have driven to the office near me, got his new license, and driven back again, and it would still have taken him less time than he spent waiting in the DMV office in Charlotte.

I took my original US road test in New York, and although I lived in the suburbs just north of NYC I drove all the way up to Herkimer to take my road test as there were slots available there the following week, whereas the test center close to where I lived had no slots available for nearly three months!

..... Hence my oft-repeated advice to head to a small town in a rural area for your test and licensing matters.
yeh, I have decided just to wait it out for my paperwork. I really do need to drive as I live in the suburbs and need to drive my kids to and from places, but I am carrying UK valid license and US expired (real ID)license and well .......'covid'
Old Oct 11th 2020, 1:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
yeh, I have decided just to wait it out for my paperwork. I really do need to drive as I live in the suburbs and need to drive my kids to and from places, but I am carrying UK valid license and US expired (real ID)license and well .......'covid'
How long can you legally use your UK DL in Miami? If you have exceeded the Florida time frame then your UK DL is if no use. Is COVID a legal valid excuse to use an expired Florida DL?
Old Oct 11th 2020, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How long can you legally use your UK DL in Miami? If you have exceeded the Florida time frame then your UK DL is if no use. Is COVID a legal valid excuse to use an expired Florida DL?
Technically only a month but I dont have any choice .... I think authorities are being lenient because of Covid causing delays. Nothing I can do, I have been to DMV twice and have the paperwork to show for it.
Old Oct 11th 2020, 11:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
Technically only a month but I dont have any choice .... I think authorities are being lenient because of Covid causing delays. Nothing I can do, I have been to DMV twice and have the paperwork to show for it.
you do have a choice...if you don’t have a valid license...don’t drive. Due to the virus I have no idea what your legal position is. Maybe worth checking with your insurance that you are still covered. That would be my worry...no insurance.
Old Oct 11th 2020, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
you do have a choice...if you don’t have a valid license...don’t drive. Due to the virus I have no idea what your legal position is. Maybe worth checking with your insurance that you are still covered. That would be my worry...no insurance.

absolutely not an option for me but thank you for your thoughts