British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I-485 procedure and waiting time (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-485-procedure-waiting-time-112045/)

samal1485 Sep 30th 2002 8:38 pm

I-485 procedure and waiting time

When you sent I-485, what is next and how long? Any receipt for I-485. I have only cash receipt that my checks were cached. I also got my EAD (it took 5 weeks).

Andy Platt Oct 1st 2002 11:15 am

Re: I-485 procedure and waiting time

Processing times for the offices can be found here:

http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/in-
stimes.htm

All you get from the local INS office is the cash receipt (and maybe a
letter) - there is no formal NOA like you get from the service centers.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.
"samal1485" wrote in message
news:429800.1033418317@britishexpats-
.com
    > When you sent I-485, what is next and how long? Any receipt for I-485. I
    > have only cash receipt that my checks were cached. I also got my EAD (it
    > took 5 weeks).
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

lemming Oct 1st 2002 3:30 pm

After I sent mine in, the second time, the costs went up while the my first attempt was in the post, it took about a month before I got a request to go and get fingerprints done, them another month before I got my letter to go in and get my green card, I'm applying for AOS as the spouce of a US citizen.

samal1485 Oct 2nd 2002 12:24 am

I do nor understand "go and get my green card?" I thought after 1-1.5 years we get conditional green card only.

Originally posted by lemming:
After I sent mine in, the second time, the costs went up while the my first attempt was in the post, it took about a month before I got a request to go and get fingerprints done, them another month before I got my letter to go in and get my green card, I'm applying for AOS as the spouce of a US citizen.

Rete Oct 2nd 2002 2:09 am

Originally posted by samal1485:
I do nor understand "go and get my green card?" I thought after 1-1.5 years we get conditional green card only.

It is difficult to understand it the way lemming wrote it. After you applied for adjustment of status based on marriage to a USC, as Andy said the only receipt you get is perhaps the cash register receipt and some local INS offices send a letter. As with you, you get an interview letter in the mail to come in and get your EAD. The next step of the process is waiting for the AOS interview to be scheduled. That can be six months to 3 years depending on where you live and which INS office you used. At the interview you will be questioned after being sworn in and your documents will be looked at and if the DAO believes your marriage to be genuine you will complete and I-89 for the green card. This I-89 is signed by you, your photo attached and a single digit fingerprint is placed on it. It is then sent to the service center for the card to be manufactured and you will get it in the mail in about 3 to 6 months. In the interim, at the AOS interview if approved the DAO will place an I-551 stamp in your passport. This is the paper equivalent of the plastic green card with all the same rights and privileges and is good for one year. It is only to tie you over until the green card arrives in the mail.

If the AOS interview is scheduled and approved before your 2nd wedding anniversary you are made a conditional permanent resident and the green card is good for 2 years. You must remove the conditions by filing I-751 1 year and 9 months after your approved AOS interview.

If the AOS interview is scheduled and approved after your 2nd wedding anniverary you are made a permanent resident and the green card is good for ten years. You renew the card 9 years and 9 months before its expiration.

At no point do you go in to the INS office to pick up your green card but you go there for the interview.

Rete

trburton Oct 2nd 2002 2:13 am

Originally posted by Rete:

It is difficult to understand it the way lemming wrote it. After you applied for adjustment of status based on marriage to a USC, as Andy said the only receipt you get is perhaps the cash register receipt and some local INS offices send a letter. As with you, you get an interview letter in the mail to come in and get your EAD. The next step of the process is waiting for the AOS interview to be scheduled. That can be six months to 3 years depending on where you live and which INS office you used. At the interview you will be questioned after being sworn in and your documents will be looked at and if the DAO believes your marriage to be genuine you will complete and I-89 for the green card. This I-89 is signed by you, your photo attached and a single digit fingerprint is placed on it. It is then sent to the service center for the card to be manufactured and you will get it in the mail in about 3 to 6 months. In the interim, at the AOS interview if approved the DAO will place an I-551 stamp in your passport. This is the paper equivalent of the plastic green card with all the same rights and privileges and is good for one year. It is only to tie you over until the green card arrives in the mail.

If the AOS interview is scheduled and approved before your 2nd wedding anniversary you are made a conditional permanent resident and the green card is good for 2 years. You must remove the conditions by filing I-751 1 year and 9 months after your approved AOS interview.

If the AOS interview is scheduled and approved after your 2nd wedding anniverary you are made a permanent resident and the green card is good for ten years. You renew the card 9 years and 9 months before its expiration.

At no point do you go in to the INS office to pick up your green card but you go there for the interview.

Rete

What about the passport stamp? do you go to the office or can I take my spouses passport in to be stamped?

lemming Oct 2nd 2002 3:53 pm

I'm sorry to start confusion with anything as important as this, thanks for clearing up the mess I left. Am I to assume from the previous posts that the Green Card and the EAD are two different things?, I was under the assumption that they were the same.