Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I-485 and Employment Authorization

I-485 and Employment Authorization

Old Dec 27th 2005, 1:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-485 and Employment Authorization

Originally Posted by Partystar
I was just wondering how you would be able to get one? On what grounds?
Good catch.. Boiler and I made an assumption that the OP came in on a K-1 visa. K-1s are entitled to a couple of benies for going through their unique pain. Boiler's instuction was right for a newly arrived K-1 (see my ref. to 76 days), but not correct for someone who migrated on the VWP or other non-immigrant option.

Any newly arriving tourist marriage adjustment/K-1 should be aware that they will not be eligible to work for several months. Getting married to an American may get you a lot of things, but it doesn't get them instantaneously.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 3:43 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
It does not quite say that, forget the exact words but basically not valid for work without USCIS authority, the authority would be the EAD or the JFK POE stamp.

And once you have EAD you can get it updated
..and for those not entering via JFK????... which from what I can gather is still the only US POE that still gives this stamp...
My understanding from the good people at the INS office in Naperville(Chicago) was that I could have obtained a SSN earlier but it would have been useless on the employment front.... once I wanted to become employed I would have had to have the social security number/card adjusted .. but hey! if it works for others then fair enough. All I will say is that from start to finish (entrance on a K3) the EAD/SSN it took 51 days...the job took 3 days ..

and just to satisfy some of the jealous bastards on here ..i do not work for a burger chain ....
Old Dec 27th 2005, 4:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just wondering how you would be able to get one? On what grounds?
K1 status gets you a SSN.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

MissPatriotic is on a distinguished road

thanks for all the links to websites and information, there is alot of stuff you guys said that i didnt know.

i arrived on a k1 visa back in september, got married at the beginning of november and then sent off all my paperwork for my I-485 and work card.

to be honest i had never heard that i had to apply separately for my SSN , I assumed i would be instructed what to do, however the SSN has nothing to do with the USCIS, so that explains that. I thought i would get my SSN with or after my I-485 was sorted.

i have read the USCIS website so many times to make sure i was doing everything in the correct order and way!

i didnt realise there was an opportunity to get a SSN before i was married! D'oh!

i was given instructions from the US embassy in London when i received my visa that i must be married within 90 days of entering the US , after i was married i must file my I-485 and my EAD and i cant leave the USA until my adjustment of status is complete, unless there are special circumstances( i heard on here though that you can pay to file to see if you are eligible to leave)

so from what you guys are telling me, after i have received my work card, i should apply for a SSN and then am i good to go and seek employment????

its funny when i was applying way back when for all this fianceƩ visa stuff, you always think you are the only one having to fill out 1000's of forms, asking you all sorts of questions and paying out loads of money to the USCIS, but then you find there are loads of people who have been through the exact same thing! did you ever feel like that???

nice to have others that have experienced the process!

MissP
Old Dec 27th 2005, 3:46 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissPatriotic
thanks for all the links to websites and information, there is alot of stuff you guys said that i didnt know.

i arrived on a k1 visa back in september, got married at the beginning of november and then sent off all my paperwork for my I-485 and work card.

to be honest i had never heard that i had to apply separately for my SSN , I assumed i would be instructed what to do, however the SSN has nothing to do with the USCIS, so that explains that. I thought i would get my SSN with or after my I-485 was sorted.

i have read the USCIS website so many times to make sure i was doing everything in the correct order and way!

i didnt realise there was an opportunity to get a SSN before i was married! D'oh!

i was given instructions from the US embassy in London when i received my visa that i must be married within 90 days of entering the US , after i was married i must file my I-485 and my EAD and i cant leave the USA until my adjustment of status is complete, unless there are special circumstances( i heard on here though that you can pay to file to see if you are eligible to leave)

so from what you guys are telling me, after i have received my work card, i should apply for a SSN and then am i good to go and seek employment????

its funny when i was applying way back when for all this fianceƩ visa stuff, you always think you are the only one having to fill out 1000's of forms, asking you all sorts of questions and paying out loads of money to the USCIS, but then you find there are loads of people who have been through the exact same thing! did you ever feel like that???

MissP
Yep!
Old Dec 27th 2005, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Yep!
see i am getting it now!
what would i do without all of you US immigration experts!!!!!!!
Old Dec 27th 2005, 3:55 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

see i am getting it now!
what would i do without all of you US immigration experts!!!!!!!

OMG don't call them that! :scared:

(Or is Matt still in Utah?)
Old Dec 27th 2005, 3:58 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

(Or is Matt still in Utah?)

Think we're relatively safe up here.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Elvira]OMG don't call them that! :scared:

yeah maybe that was giving them abit too much glory!!!!!
Old Dec 27th 2005, 4:00 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

MissP
I came in the same way (K-1 visa). Getting the SSN was not a problem... neither was the EAD, it's just a waiting game for most of it. Patience is something the USCIS teaches you if nothing else. (apart from how to confuse people with forms and instructions of course).

Congrats on the marriage btw.

Last edited by TN-Dave; Dec 27th 2005 at 4:01 pm. Reason: ..
Old Dec 27th 2005, 4:01 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=MissPatriotic]
Originally Posted by Elvira

yeah maybe that was giving them abit too much glory!!!!!

Glory to the deserving wasn't what I was on about...

(Sorry, it's an in-joke. Search for Matt Udall's posts if you want to know... )
Old Dec 27th 2005, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=TN-Dave]Patience is something the USCIS teaches you if nothing else. (apart from how to confuse people with forms and instructions of course).

yeah i agree. i think they make it more complicated than it has to be! so then we start questioning whether we are reading the instructions correctly and whether we have included all the documents that relate to our situation! mad!

i got married in Tennessee in the Smoky mountains actually. very beautiful and a lovely sunny day!
Old Dec 27th 2005, 4:10 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i agree. i think they make it more complicated than it has to be! so then we start questioning whether we are reading the instructions correctly and whether we have included all the documents that relate to our situation! mad!

i got married in Tennessee in the Smoky mountains actually. very beautiful and a lovely sunny day!
Or maybe they're hoping that we'll get too confused & give up!!!

Congrats on your marriage! Should we call you MrsPatriotic from now on?!?!
Old Dec 27th 2005, 4:13 pm

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

[QUOTE=MissPatriotic]
Originally Posted by TN-Dave
Patience is something the USCIS teaches you if nothing else. (apart from how to confuse people with forms and instructions of course).

I wish we'd have known - it's just down th road from me - we would have come and thrown confetti over you..
Old Dec 27th 2005, 4:14 pm

Or maybe they're hoping that we'll get too confused & give up!!!

Congrats on your marriage! Should we call you MrsPatriotic from now on?!?!
as long as it's now Ms.Patriotic I don't mind - I really dislike that Ms thing..... (that comment will probably start a war in here )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.