British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I-485 and Employment Authorization (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-485-employment-authorization-344552/)

MissPatriotic Dec 26th 2005 3:33 pm

I-485 and Employment Authorization

Merry Christmas to you all!!!!!!

I am sure you hear these questions all the time from new, anxious Brits so here we go.......

I have been in the US about 4 months now, i came over to marry an American and i have sent off my I-485 and i sent my employment authorization form with it to Chicago.
I was just wondering if any of you had done the same and if you can remember how long it took for your EAD to arrive?
I am just wondering how long i might be unemployed for!!!!!
I sent my papers about a month ago and i know they have taken the money , but i havent received anything from them saying they had received my information or any indication to how long the process would be.
I guess it depends how busy they are, but i am hoping they process the EAD quickly so i can be working while i wait for the adjustment of status.
there was an option to send my EAD application to the Texas Service Center but they said if you are filing your I-485 and EAD at the same time, send them both to chicago. The Texas Service Center is processing forms that were sent in November now so i was wondering if my EAD is done in chicago or they send it on to Texas???? questions questions i know!!!!
it seems like the USCIS make it hard to understand how this all works! anyone else with me on that?

Elvira Dec 26th 2005 3:37 pm

Re: I-485 and Employment Authorization

Originally Posted by MissPatriotic
Merry Christmas to you all!!!!!!
it seems like the USCIS make it hard to understand how this all works! anyone else with me on that?

:D

Merry Christmas! :)

Circus-of-Power Dec 26th 2005 4:55 pm

I sent in the EAD to Chicago and it all took less than a month to be all done and dusted. When you have received your NOA you can use the case number given to track everything on line. You should soon hear about your EAD biometrics interview soon.Thats no big deal and can take all of 5 minutes. You of course also need your Social Security Number ...that should take another 10-14 days.

Feb. seems a good month to go job hunting ;)

Good luck

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 26th 2005 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
I sent in the EAD to Chicago and it all took less than a month to be all done and dusted. When you have received your NOA you can use the case number given to track everything on line. You should soon hear about your EAD biometrics interview soon.Thats no big deal and can take all of 5 minutes. You of course also need your Social Security Number ...that should take another 10-14 days.

Feb. seems a good month to go job hunting ;)

Good luck

SSN is the first think you would apply for, before you get Married.

If you have not done, you can go and get one BUT do not mention you are married. Another weird oddity.

After 90 days you can make an infopass appointment and go and get an EAD. Mine took 10 weeks but that was sometime ago. EAD is also the doc you need to get a DL. See your local DMV site for particulars.

Bob Dec 26th 2005 5:47 pm

Best bet would be to ask in the visa section of the website...EAD's seem to really depend on where abouts you are though, and not sure if they do that whole 90 days of NOA getting a stamp thing if the card doesn't arrive any more.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 26th 2005 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Best bet would be to ask in the visa section of the website...EAD's seem to really depend on where abouts you are though, and not sure if they do that whole 90 days of NOA getting a stamp thing if the card doesn't arrive any more.

Still done, but less need. USed to be that very few got theirs within 90 days, now it seems odd if you do not.

They all go through the Chicago Lock Box so I think? that timelines are more common. The USCIS web site will give you an updat as to when yopurs has ben sent, has a tracking system, but not how long you have to wait.

FlyergirlUK Dec 26th 2005 6:00 pm

Yes, all marriage-based AOS/EAD/AP applications are sent to the Chicago lockbox before being forwarded onto the NBC in Missouri.

The NBC is where you should be checking for processing dates - not TSC.

MissPatriotic Dec 26th 2005 7:06 pm

thanks for the input, it is all very helpful.

can anyone tell me where i apply for my SSN? I didnt realise i had to apply for that separately or before i was married!

i will go to the USCIS website now!

hopefully i will receive receipt of my application soon then

thanks

FlyergirlUK Dec 26th 2005 7:45 pm

If you came over with a K1 then you'll now have to wait until you have your EAD in hand before you can apply for your SSN, (using form SS-5 - you must apply at your local SSA office) as you only have a limited amount of time in which you are eligible as a K1-er.

Check for posts by mdyoung for specific information on SSNs and eligibility.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 26th 2005 7:55 pm

can anyone tell me where i apply for my SSN? I didnt realise i had to apply for that separately or before i was married!

thanks

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=ssn

Circus-of-Power Dec 26th 2005 7:56 pm

FlyergirlUK is correct... If you apply for your SSN without a valid EAD the SSN will state that it is not to be used to gain employment (which kinda defeats the object.)

You could also try the website ...
http://www.visajourney.com/

It contains information...guides and sample forms ...

All the best

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 26th 2005 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
FlyergirlUK is correct... If you apply for your SSN without a valid EAD the SSN will state that it is not to be used to gain employment (which kinda defeats the object.)

It does not quite say that, forget the exact words but basically not valid for work without USCIS authority, the authority would be the EAD or the JFK POE stamp.

And once you have EAD you can get it updated

FlyergirlUK Dec 26th 2005 8:18 pm

I didn't say nuffink about the wording on the card but, the bottom line is that the SSN card will carry that "INS" legend until you have your green card/I-551 stamp and get the SSN card changed for one that doesn't bear those words.

Actually, though I've had my green card for seemingly yonks I've still not bothered going back to the SSA to get the wording on my SSN card changed - think I'll keep it as a souvenir now! :D

meauxna Dec 26th 2005 11:22 pm

thanks

Social Security is nothing to do with the USCIS website--goto www.ssa.gov and download form SS-5 and do a search for the offices nearest to you. If you are a K-1 within 76 days of your arrival, you can still get a SS#, but it sounds as if MissP has missed her window of opportunity

MissP, once you do get your EAD (work card), you can take your application to SSA and put it in. More likely than not, your status will NOT have been updated, and you will have to ask the SSA worker to do a manual verification of your status.

Backing up to the receipt(s) for your I-485, I-765 and I-131, those receipts (called NOA1s) are taking 4-6 weeks to be generated.
Approval for I-765/EAD can easily take over three months, so don't get too eager to work! You should be watching for the receipt from that application and then a letter scheduling your biometrics appointment (fingerprint).

Partystar Dec 27th 2005 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
SSN is the first think you would apply for, before you get Married.

If you have not done, you can go and get one BUT do not mention you are married. Another weird oddity.

After 90 days you can make an infopass appointment and go and get an EAD. Mine took 10 weeks but that was sometime ago. EAD is also the doc you need to get a DL. See your local DMV site for particulars.

I was just wondering how you would be able to get one? On what grounds?