Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I-140 Approved Today!!!

Wikiposts

I-140 Approved Today!!!

Old Jun 29th 2007, 4:49 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-140 Approved Today!!!

Originally Posted by Adnams
Yikes! I thought the gap would be an issue and also that no one would understand. US friends I have fail to understand the situation even after I have explained it 100 times and they're friends!!

Well I used to be good at networking but you lose confidence after such a long gap. You feel like a spare tyre. I also dont know if I really want something thats 100% demanding and time consuming, I have become rather lazy after five years. OH says I would prob have opportunities at his place because of my industry experience in Indo and its hard to find people with the specific industry knowledge, but I dont really want to work with my OH.
Thanks for tip on the C of C though I wouldnt have thought of that.
I still have to wait for the EAD so I am starting to get ahead of myself a bit. They said 3 months for that but who knows.....?
How did you approach it? With gusto I'd imagine.
You have to wait until you get the EAD before you can actually work, but there is nothing to stop you from networking, making contacts and looking for jobs.

Is there a university near you? They usually have vacancies for administrative people. Could be a nice way of easing yourself back into the marketplace. Also, they are more likely to understand what an H4 and an EAD is...

In my case I kept lines of communication with my clients back in the UK open, so was able to get back into the swing of things pretty quickly once word got around. Now, getting US clients is a different matter and, like you, I've got slightly lazy and frankly cannot be @r$ed.

IN any event, BE takes up far too much of my resources to allow time for going out and selling by body...... I mean brain...
Old Jun 29th 2007, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
You have to wait until you get the EAD before you can actually work, but there is nothing to stop you from networking, making contacts and looking for jobs.

Is there a university near you? They usually have vacancies for administrative people. Could be a nice way of easing yourself back into the marketplace. Also, they are more likely to understand what an H4 and an EAD is...

In my case I kept lines of communication with my clients back in the UK open, so was able to get back into the swing of things pretty quickly once word got around. Now, getting US clients is a different matter and, like you, I've got slightly lazy and frankly cannot be @r$ed.

IN any event, BE takes up far too much of my resources to allow time for going out and selling by body...... I mean brain...
Thank you, loads of Unis round here actually so that may be an avenue to pursue - and eveyone I know who has academic admin jobs back in blighty have it fairly easy.
I know i have to wait for the ead but am hoping that wont be too long... Is that blind optimism!? Luckily I have a number of friends around here who are business owners or know of people who are so that my first point of call, thanks for the tips and I must dig out that dusty ragged old CV from somewhere....
Old Jun 29th 2007, 5:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

cool, nice one
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
cool, nice one
Everyones welcome at our place for champers and of course real ale tonight!