British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I-134 w/ Montreal help?!?!?!? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-134-w-montreal-help-104965/)

Razor Oye Jun 4th 2001 8:36 pm

Greetings and salutations all -

I have a couple of questions. My fiancee (Canadian) and I received approval from TSC on May 24 and Montreal got our approval on May 30 (I was VERY surprised!!!). Well, I am filling out the I-134 and have read some posts, but am wondering a couple of things.

First - I was wondering about the sponsorship qualifications. I just began working and am making $35,000 per year and will receive a raise next year. Problem is, my tax return only notes that I made $12,000 - but I only worked 1/3 of my total contracted year. The letter from my employer, though, states that I make thge above mentioned salary. Also, my bank balance is not all that great b/c the wedding expenses have fallen on my shoulders. I am considering having my mother fill one out as well - to co-sponsor. Is that wise? My fiancee has dual degrees and readily employable in child development and/or education fields - jobs are plentiful in Texas right now. What are her chances of being rejected on these grounds? I read that Montreal is not that "nitpicky" and they take into account what her prospects are for employment and my situation just getting out of graduate school. Is that acceptable? Any advice is VERY welcome.

Secondly, she is faxing packet 3 back to Montreal - is there any way her interview might be in the next 14-20 days? What is the turnaround time for the interview in Montreal?

Finally, is there anything else regarding documentation that I should send? I just dont want her to be rejected on some oversight on my part.

MUCH obliged,
Jonathan

Rete Jun 4th 2001 10:57 pm

Jonathan

For the first part of your question, read the I-134 and you will see that you don't need tax returns and you don't need a bank letter. If you have the letter from your employer stating the type of position, full or part time, type of work, when started, annual salary, that is all you will need for the I-134. $35,000 is more than enough for a family of 2 (you and her). So your problem there is solved. If you want to include a bank letter, go for it and do so but it is not mandatory as long as you can prove your source of income.

As for faxing the checklist and issuance of an interview date, I can't answer that. In our day you couldn't call the US Consulate in Montreal, let alone fax it. You could only mail in your checklist and wait out the return letter of invitation for interview. I know you are in a rush (isn't everyone who is emotionally high on love).
She will get her interview in short order and be with you as soon as she can.